NGD: Collings City Limits DLX

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by LP07, Apr 16, 2015.

1. LP07

LP07 Supporting Member

http://willcuttguitars.com/collings/collings-electrics/collings-city-limits-deluxe-tobacco-burst-855

It took me months to decide and deliberate between a Gibson Collectors Choice and a Collings CL. I already own a R9 so I felt to try something different. I bought this guitar on a blind internet purchase from Willcutt Guitars. I was nervous, but after reading the reviews about Collings craftsmanship I decided it was worth the risk.

The guitar is loaded with Throbak ER and a mahogany top. The fit, neck joint, neck carve, binding, fretwork, and most important playability is easily the best I've seen. Collings really puts the work where their mouth is. Not a single flaw on the guitar I could find. I was also hesitant on the heavy gauge strings they use. I'm a 9 gauge guy on a les Paul. I found I actually,play and vibrato better on the heavier gauge strings. The throbaks actually brightened the guitar. It has that what I think has become the traditional Collings "ultra clarity sound" people speak of. TGP members who are strictly les Paul players I highly suggest you look into these if you're on the fence about another purchase. The build really is a cut above. The playability is unbelievable...inspiring really. I couldn't put it down. Now sound wise...I play through a cranked Germino. The les Paul paired gives you THAT sound. The Collings, though not thinner sounding, it is more refined....articulate. But I find it more flexible than the R9. I am not affiliated with Willcutt...hell I live in NJ...but they were great. I dealt with Eric Cummins. He put that guitar and another through the paces, gave me a very honest assessment because I felt like he generally cared I got a guitar I'd like and enjoy. I suggest that shop.

Anyway this is kind of a postpost geared towards the les Paul guys who are pondering about taking that leap and branching out. I did, and will never look back.

rockindog likes this.
  2. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

Great review.

I had a Custom Shop Les Paul Custom '68 RI that I adored, but the neck was too much for me, not to mention the weight. I sold that and added some cash and eventually bought an R0, which I thought would be my dream guitar, but I didn't warm up to it and eventually sold it and used the proceeds to buy a Collings I-35lc (and a Swart!).

Gibson Custom Shop is not shabby, by any stretch, but I have yet to try a guitar that was as well built or enjoyable to play as my Collings. Never had the pleasure of playing the City Limits, but I sure would like to, now, after reading your post.

Enjoy and welcome to the Collings club! And where are the obligatory photos????

3. crash1

crash1 Member

Awesome guitar. I love the sunburst look on mahogany. I'm sure it's an amazing guitar.

I bought a Collings 290 from Willcutt a few years ago over the phone and, as you say, they are great to work with.

4. LP07

LP07 Supporting Member

Lol I was to lazy to post the pics...used the website instead haha. Don't get me wrong I love my R9...the guitar I cut me teeth on. Not to mention that sound. But the DLX is just built better.

5. LP07

LP07 Supporting Member

Is the 35 warmer than the R les Paul's?

6. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

Hmmm. It's hard to compare the two.

The I-35lc, much like a 335, can do most anything, including blues and rock, but it excels at cleans and jazzier stuff, which typically sounds better with reverb and delay or a touch of modulation. The I-35lc is much more open and air-ier than the R. I definitely prefer its neck position to the one on the R. The attack is different when comparing the bridge.

LPs are more suited for rock, in my opinion, not that the semi can't hang, but just different. If it makes any sense, when I want to rock out or get a crunchier sound, I typically play my SG, which is everything I love from an LP, but in lighter package with more fret access.

7. Lemuel

Lemuel Member

Thanks for the review. I'm thinking about these a little differently now. Enjoy your new guitar.

8. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

The Collings 290 is one of the best guitars I've ever played... Bravo.

9. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

That's a sweet guitar, congratulations!

10. dead of night

dead of night Member

What do you think about the Throbak ER Customs? What if you played them, like me, into a clean channel at low volume, what would they sound like?

Can you compare them to the Lollar Imperials?