NGD! Collings OM2H Cutaway, Madagascar/German Spruce!

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
Gorgeous piece! How do you like the German top? @Groberts Trying to decide between Adi and German for my next Dread.
I have an Adi top on the Collings OM1A. But that guitar is Mahogany, so its hard to say how different the tops are since the guitars are different. But what I am finding with the German Spruce top is this; It seems to have a silky sweetness in the treble but with the power and headroom to play loudly like Adirondack.

I would not hesitate to choose Adirondack or German spruce. But if I had the chance to choose either of those over a standard Sitka spruce top, I would choose Adi or German for sure. But that usually 'costs more.'

Imperial_Tone

All things with a Maple Cap
Not really worried about the cost as I feel you get what you pay for with Collings (I've got a MF5 absolutely amazing Mandolin). I've been playing mostly Sitka, but without a Collings dealer close to me it's hard for me to find one in the specs im looking for. But from what I've read it seems the German might be the ticket for what im looking for; being a happy medium in the spruce family. Thanks for your input @Groberts its greatly appreciated!

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
Not really worried about the cost as I feel you get what you pay for with Collings (I've got a MF5 absolutely amazing Mandolin). I've been playing mostly Sitka, but without a Collings dealer close to me it's hard for me to find one in the specs im looking for. But from what I've read it seems the German might be the ticket for what im looking for; being a happy medium in the spruce family. Thanks for your input @Groberts its greatly appreciated!
In that case, I am loving the German Spruce top. It seems to offer a sweetness, but with the punch and headroom of Adirondack. I've read that Adirondack takes longer to fully break in and sweeten up but my Adi top sounds incredible and I just got the guitar a few months ago. Although, it was at my local shop for a fair bit in a humidified room. Collings is legendary for voicing tops to the rest of an instrument. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The German sure is blowing me away. No doubt! Glad to help!

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
Here is a little recording I made at home after work today. Cliché, but I was feeling it 'in the moment' and thought I would share. I am LOVING this guitar and still learning how to play it with the finesse and touch that it deserves.

pedalcr8z

Gary....... lovely Collings I have a 000-2h sunburst that I cherish. You are a very accomplished player and made Stairway "look" easy, love the rendition.

Trending Topics