• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD: Dean Z Chicago Standard (Also UPS fail story)

hchoe741

9/25 ups tracking shows package was dropped off at front door. Get home around 2:30 and it's nowhere to be found. I am searching around my house, exploring areas of my backyard that I've never been, and it is NOWHERE. I call ups and the dispatcher tells me the delivery person will come back to my home to help me look, but no eta. Hours later and it's 11pm with no calls telling me they will or won't be coming back.

9/26 this ups center is closed til Tuesday, and I'm freaking out, wondering if it was theft rather than a delivery mistake. Never had anything stolen from my porch before, and never had a problem with ups. Go over to my neighbor to see if maybe their camera caught something. Funny enough, they got someone else's package, and apparently this happens often because their street sounds similar to ours. Ok, so I go over to that other street, but there's no home with the same address number as ours. Well, since I'm here I might as well help resolve my neighbor's issue. My neighbor's address is 6802, i knock on the door of the other 6802 house, and whatdaya know, they got my package.

My address is 6806

So ups delivered my package to an address with a different house number and different street name, and delivered their package to my next door neighbor ‍:jo

Really? I realize they're delivering packages all day on 14 hr shifts sometimes, but how do you mix up 6802 and 6806 AND the street names? The number 6802 was on their front door, and its not like it was dark out, they delivered it in the morning. Not only that, they misdelivered 6802's package as well, so who knows how many more people are missing their packages right now.

Anyway, here's what you're here for lol. Picked it up for a decent price on music go round.
16011775038046832379327173095529.jpg
16011775316705466906224113957279.jpg
Took off all the parts and electronics. Planning on keeping myself busy for a few days adding new parts. Previous owner swapped out the chrome hardware for gold, and I dig it, so will keep the gold theme.
16011776127588257353380543212816.jpg They might have tried to paint the whole thing gold? There were some gold glitter paint around the bridge posts that I had to sand off 16011775885771349758024535367880.jpg 16011775642251309284951386428137.jpg I didn't see a substantial amount of neck to body joint area, so I assumed it had a long tenon, but when I took out the pickup I was surprised to see a lack of. So definitely no neck bending on this guitar lol

gunslinger

It looks like a 1980s all mahogany Dean Z. It should sound really good when you're finished. And a bone nut would be nice.

hchoe741

I actually ordered a graphtech nut, always have good results with them.

Yes, I can't wait to finish it! Came with dimarzio super distortions in the bridge AND neck. Definitely swapping out the neck, contemplating on keeping the super d in the bridge.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
I actually ordered a graphtech nut, always have good results with them.

Yes, I can't wait to finish it! Came with dimarzio super distortions in the bridge AND neck. Definitely swapping out the neck, contemplating on keeping the super d in the bridge.
It’s a set, glued in neck...how you gonna swap the neck :munch

Drew66

Nice guitar. Makes me think delivery drivers are relying on gps to tell them where to deliver rather than looking at the address.

hchoe741

Nice guitar. Makes me think delivery drivers are relying on gps to tell them where to deliver rather than looking at the address.
That makes no sense though, because they delivered to a completely different street address with a different house number

hchoe741

Also, thanks for the compliment lol. I had a Gibson faded cherry explorer from long ago that I always regretted selling, been dying for an explorer type guitar since. Looked around for used epiphones until I found the dean online, and I had to have it.

Drew66

That makes no sense though, because they delivered to a completely different street address with a different house number
My bad, I read it but was thinking it was just the next door neighbor. Btw I grew up right by the original Dean factory (and lived on the other side of a fence from the office/warehouse they used in the late 90’s).

frankencat

Guitarded
Silver Supporting Member
My bad, I read it but was thinking it was just the next door neighbor. Btw I grew up right by the original Dean factory (and lived on the other side of a fence from the office/warehouse they used in the late 90’s).
Yep. It was cool when they are all right there in Waters in Tampa. That's where I used to get all of my shipping boxes from lol. RIP Elliot.

Drew66

Yep. It was cool when they are all right there in Waters in Tampa. That's where I used to get all of my shipping boxes from lol. RIP Elliot.
Nope, I lived in Chicago when they were there (it’s where Dean was founded). The original location was in a neighborhood called Roger’s Park and much later after they off shored most (or all) of their production they had an office/ warehouse in a Chicago suburb (Arlington Heights).

hchoe741

For fans of red n gold guitars

Got new pickup rings, knobs, and swapped out all the electronics. Duncan custom in the bridge, gfs vintage 59 in the neck.
20201008_200246.jpg
String butler and hipshot locking tuners 20201008_200251.jpg
Would've been completed today, but post office has been holding my nut for almost a week now. Eta was last Friday , but hasn't changed from "in transit" since then.
20201008_200316.jpg
The nut it came with had been tampered with, I think to accommodate the strings break angle going to the tuners. New nut and the string butler should remedy that.

Trending Topics