NGD DOA

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Carbohydrates, Aug 14, 2019 at 11:56 AM.

1. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

Ah, had to happen eventually. I've bought dozens of guitars online over the years and been lucky enough to not suffer a headstock break.

[​IMG]

No outrage here. The seller had packed it remarkably well for a guitar without a bag or case - tons of padding, bracing in the box to keep it from moving, and layers of compression foam above the headstock. The seller is a reputable shop who's opening their claim with FedEx, promised me this won't cost me a thing, and said he would get hold of the builder for a new custom order to replace it. I pointed out that there's another shop that still has one for sale (which is lucky, since I believe these are made 4 at a time / 4 per year), and the seller was thrilled. Sounds like he's gonna try to source that one for me instead to replace it, which would be great. I told him I'd be happy to provide a hardshell case to ship it in this time, hah.

Anyway, it is what it is. It's being handled, I'm just bummed and posting here to express my sadness at A) a bummer of a NGD, and B) the death of what was probably a pretty kickass guitar.

fretless, Duder, Fitzer and 9 others like this.
  2. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

3. Calebz

Calebz Member

Shipping the first one in a case would have been better. But otherwise, it sounds like all the right things were done before and after. **** happens.

It's just a delayed NGD

Carbohydrates likes this.
  4. Colnago

Colnago Member

5. Carbohydrates

It's a Potvin Project 58. Here's a page about it. Basically a dimensional replica of a '58 Les Paul Junior with some minor tweaks. Made by Mike Potvin @Mike Potvin and finished by Josh Grove / Protocaster @Groveness.

Markdude, derekd and Theorist like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Accurate to Gibson-style one-block mahogany neck? ...

Sorry to see the guitar broken, but looks like they are helping you out.

7. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Just pointing out the obvious but no case seems like a poor choice for something of value like this. Why no case?

Windup 43, AaeCee, Da Geezer and 4 others like this.
  8. Groveness

Groveness Silver Supporting Member

Southern transplant based in Brooklyn, NY
    Just....wow......ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm also sorry I'm just now seeing this! I've reached out to Mike and sent a PM to you to offer whatever help I can here. That sucks so bad! I can -regrettably- confirm that was indeed a kick-ass guitar. This will be made right however!

9. Carbohydrates

Couldn't say. They told me beforehand that it wouldn't have a case, so the reasonable expectation was set. They're a store that has been in business for years, so I figured if they were confident enough in their ability to ship a guitar like this without a case, then so be it. But like I said, I acquired a hard case of my own in anticipation of this guitar's arrival, so I'll just provide that for next time.

10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Dayam! That Potvin 58 is one sexy guitar!
    It really should have been shipped in a hard case due to how few are built yearly.
    You could have returned the case to the seller if you didn't desire to keep it.

Sorry to hear and see the bad news, but at least you are going to get one.

11. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Makes sense but a bummer nonetheless.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 2:29 PM
  12. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I got one like that too once. At the time I thought the seller had sent the guitar with the headstock already broken so he could collect the money from UPS.

37 others likes this.
  13. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

That's taking the authentic Gibson experience one step too far! :(

14. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

You just couldn't help yourself could you? Not like we haven't heard that one 12098984593845 times.

15. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

What a bummer! That looks like such an awesome guitar too.

Like others said, hopefully this just means a delayed NGD. And who knows, it doesn't necessarily mean the death of the guitar right? I'm sure they could take it back, repair the headstock with a pro job, and sell it for cheap or have someone play it at least. Lots of guitars with headstock breaks on the market out there today. For you though I'm just happy it sounds like the seller is top notch and sorting you out.

16. Carbohydrates

Right on all counts. Thanks for the kind words.

17. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

It is still funny though...

18. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I refuse to buy a guitar without a case. No matter what. I will not settle for a guitar that shows up in nothing but a cardboard box... ridiculous!!

edwarddavis likes this.
  19. Distortion-Bros

Distortion-Bros Member

@Carbohydrates has been a fantastic customer even with this terrible ordeal. We are doing everything we can to resolve the situation to his satisfaction. He is really deserving of a great guitar.

CoyotesGator, Slevin, skydog and 6 others like this.
  20. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I keep reading this, but putting Yngwies voice over it.

Anyway, the guitar looks killer, and it looks like you have a great dealer that's gonna help you out.
    Hope you get a replacement soon, and hope it plays as good as it looks!!!!