NGD: Early Buscarino.. Any wood experts here?

SonomaWino

Completely random one here. Apparently a custom one-off from the early 80s built by John Buscarino. Solid Brazialian Rosewood neck..... beautiful looking and playing guitar. Traded for it today...

I have an email out to him if he can shed any light on the body (if, in fact, he remembers building it at all!). The back is gorgeous- any ideas on what type of wood this looks like to you? Thanks! (not the best pictures in the world... I'll get better ones up later)

15y91yo.jpg

2rhtdhy.jpg

66m9ld.jpg

2h52s5z.jpg

2503289.jpg

superrock

i guess burl maple top on walnut...
but that is beside the point...
:omg:omg:omg
that is sweet!!! what a ride! congrats! pm me when the honeymoon's over and i will gladly accept your castoff...:rotflmao

SonomaWino

Thanks for the insights on the wood type.. and yes, I'm now missing a kidney (hell, we have two, right?)

A few pictures added from today with some better lighting.... It's really interesting to me to have a solid neck with no truss rod (never seen that before), but the neck is dead perfect.

2qcgemb.jpg

nvqzwj.jpg

2a6seae.jpg

243qftg.jpg

1i1n2t.jpg

vpf4go.jpg

cjp54

I could be wrong but I don't think it's a one piece neck. It looks like there's a separate fretboard. Maybe even ebony, it looks darker than the headstock and back of neck. When looking just above the nut towards the headstock it looks like there's a line where you'd expect it to be if there was a separate fretboard. I'd pull the neck and check to see it there is in fact a truss rod that's adjustable from the butt end of the neck like an old school Fender.

One awesome looking guitar though!

SonomaWino

I could be wrong but I don't think it's a one piece neck. It looks like there's a separate fretboard. Maybe even ebony, it looks darker than the headstock and back of neck. When looking just above the nut towards the headstock it looks like there's a line where you'd expect it to be if there was a separate fretboard. I'd pull the neck and check to see it there is in fact a truss rod that's adjustable from the butt end of the neck like an old school Fender.

One awesome looking guitar though!

CJP - You're right on the fretboard... Looks like ebony to me, also. I meant the neck itself is solid. First thing I did last night was change the strings and pull the neck to take a peak and no truss rod (confirming what the previous owner said).

Kalalau Hiker

Silver Supporting Member
hey - glad you finally got it!
does look like an ebony board, and maple burl, or maybe even bubinga top.
wonder what it sounds like.
Did you get in touch w John yet?

SonomaWino

hey - glad you finally got it!
does look like an ebony board, and maple burl, or maybe even bubinga top.
wonder what it sounds like.
Did you get in touch w John yet?

I did.. received a nice email from him yesterday. He does remember it being from around 1986. He says it was a maple burl (you're right!) top with a 2-piece alder body.. finished with a nitro lacquer. The neck was either Brazilian Rosewood or Bocote.

He says it was definitely a one-off that later became the same style as his Mira model (but with a different headstock shape, scale length, and his two-bolt joint design). With limited tools, he says it he made all the wood parts from scratch.. "a handmade one off"

Trending Topics

Top Bottom