NGD. Eastman SB55

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
Really good price/value on these. Only drawback I found on mine was the okoume/ebony combination made it very bright. Fortunately, playing with different cap values solved it.

(not a Koll though)
can you say more about that?

the neck and playability of my SB55-DC is awesome.
Picked it up off the wall just on a lark, didn't think I had any interest, and couldn't stop playing it.
It actually had me instantly ready to sell my Collings 290DC, too thick in the neck, and WAY heavier.

54GT

Gold Supporting Member
Let me start by saying that I really like my SB55, and the price/value is outrageous given the quality.

Having said that, I wouldn't put it in the same category as the two Koll Jr Glides I've owned, one of which I bought off the rack in the 1990s (single pickup) and one of which Saul built for me (dual pickup). Both of them have/had a much more balanced tone than the Eastman (sold the two pickup when I got a '57 LPS), and could get that low midrange grunt that good Juniors have as you crank them up. Sonically, they can do what the Eastman does plus quite a bit more. I like the Koll's necks better but that is very subjective and is not a matter of build quality in this case.

Nothing at all wrong with the Eastman but head to head will reach for the Kolls.

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
I'm kind of wondering how to give the sound a little more heft somehow - maybe your more balanced? low midrange grunt? sound that my Collings DC had anyway... I wonder if thats what you are describing. So wondering about the cap value idea, seems a simple thing to experiment with (compared to exchanging pickups or something).

54GT

Gold Supporting Member
I ended up liking a .033 cap best with my SB55. seemed to round out the tone best. Like you say, pretty easy to experiment

Trending Topics

Top Bottom