NGD - Edwards Flying V

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rich-96db, Feb 23, 2015.

1. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

[​IMG]

I've always wanted a Flying V, but it seems that Gibson has limited the options these days to models costing $1,999 or more.

I found this Edwards (ESP) Flying V on eBay and with shipping, it was less than half the price of the Gibson.

It's well-made: Gotoh tuners, bone nut, bound fretboard, great fretwork, Seymour Duncan pickups (SH-1N, SH-4) and 50's style wiring (without independent volume controls - pots appear to be linear taper). It came with an ESP gig bad, but I probably buy a hard shell case.

The transaction through eBay was very smooth. I paid through PayPal in U.S. dollars. It was ordered at noon on Sunday and on my porch in Ohio by noon on Thursday.

2. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

So what do you think of it? I like the older 70's style construction, the more rounded headstock and block inlays. I've been tempted more than once but I rarely see anything but the Schenker model (don't want) and the aged white (already have a Gibson in white).

3. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

WOW! That's frigging sweet! I've been thinking that the Edwards might be a good way to get a decent V, but I've never bought anything overseas like that. It's reassuring that the everything worked well with and you're happy with your V. Congrats!

4. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

Tattooed - I think it's a decent replica of a vintage V. As you noted, it's closer to the 70's style construction. The neck sits fairly high about the body in comparison to the more modern Gibson's. I think that's why they used the pick-up rings on top of the pickguard to get more height out of the pick-ups.

It's definitely got a more classic sound. It's probably too hard to see from the pic, but it's got the old style knobs - very tall, but the numbered area is almost flat.

The model # is EF-V-100D, they also come in black or red.

5. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

I was apprehensive about buying overseas as well. I didn't want to go the Ishibashi route because they will only charge your credit card in Japanese Yen and I was concerned about getting hit with credit card charges.

I searched and found this guy on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/yasoohmusic1109

His messages are in English and the transaction was extremely smooth. Shipping from Japan to Ohio in under 5 days through EMS. It usually takes longer than that for me to get something shipped in the U.S.

6. Ivo

Ivo Member

Grats! White flying v = gorgeous. I had an Edwards 335 custom a few years back. Amazing quality and a great guitar. Might swing for an LP this year.

7. soulohio

soulohio Member

I have a 2009 Edwards V in the Michael Schenker paint... it rawks...my favorite guitar now.

8. rummy

rummy Member

Sick! For the same reasons you mentioned, I've looked at Edwards Vs as well. If they're anything like the Edwards LP I had back in '09, you're in for a treat! Congrats.