Ngd: Epi Jlh Sheraton

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slider313, May 18, 2015.

1. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up this 2000-2001? Epi John Lee Hooker Sheraton "assembled" in the USA. There's not much info on these and from what I've found they were constructed and sprayed (nitro) in Japan and the hardware, electronics and set up were done here in the US. The neck pickup sounded okay but the bridge was bright and "lifeless". I brought it over to Jack Briggs to have him rewind both pickups and install a bone nut. Jack has been winding his own pickups these days and I've been by his shop more than a few times to sample a few of his offerings. I was very impressed with a set of mini's he wound a few months back, so I knew what to expect ;-). Well, the pickups sound perfect and the guitar plays great. I've owned a couple of good dot "reissues", a couple of Heritage 535's and an original '66 Epi Riviera and this holds its own with any of them. He also made me a truss rod cover as this one came to me without a pickguard or trc. Thanks Jack!

[​IMG]

SPROING! and rwijaya like this.
  2. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

3. e???

e??? Member

Looks great! Congrats

4. slider313

Thanks pesky and e???

A bit more research shows that this is a 2000 by the fact it has JLH's likeness on the inner label and a four digit serial number. I also found out that these are closest in spec, to the original '64 Sheraton, than any recent reproduction.

I ordered a tortoise shell pickguard from WD along with gold mounting hardware. Their website states the guards are for the original series Riviera guitars. I'm betting it will fit. We shall see.................

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I thought the minibucker ones were rivieras? Interesting guitar.

6. slider313

Gibson did a run of USA made "reissue" Sheraton's and Riviera's in 1993. I think it was limited to 250 of each. Both had mini's.

The John Lee Hooker "Assembled in the USA" from 2000-2005 had mini's. The recent Korean made 1962, 50th Anniversary guitars; Sheraton, Sorrento, Crestwood all have mini's.

7. Dashface

Dashface Member

That is a fantastic looking guitar. Just dead awesome. I'd be happy to play one of those! Congrats.

8. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I've had my eyes on those for a long time. I think on the later ones they had "Boogie Man" inlaid at one of the frets. I check Ebay every now and then and they don't come up for sale very often. Good score.

9. slider313

Thanks Dashface and I-IV-V.

The later ones made in Korea may have "Boogie Man" on the 12th fret. This one was missing the original truss rod cover, that had "John Lee Hooker" engraved on it, and the pickguard; which had "The Boogie Man" engraved on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Which ones had the trapeze tailpiece?

11. slider313

The John Lee Hooker Sheraton I has the frequensator tailpiece and the JLH Sheraton II has the stop tail.

After he died, in 2001, they continued building the guitars, until 2005, but removed the JLH designation. I believe it had to do with his estate and rights to his name and likeness.

I think the run, in 1993, of USA made Sheraton and Riviera's both have the frequensator tailpiece.

This is a JLH Sheraton I.

[​IMG]

12. Yogi_Sizzle

Yogi_Sizzle Member

I have one of these that were made after he passed, people just call those the AIUSA Sheraton ( Assembled in the USA). These are nice guitars, nitro Finish and fret nibs like a Gibson.

[​IMG]

SPROING! likes this.
  13. slider313

Gee Yogi...........that's real nice. I love the tobacco sunburst finish.

14. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

As one of the very limited few that built these out for Gibson/Epiphone (along with the John Lennons, USA Kramers and USA Steinbergers), there was an extreme attention to detail put into them. The pickups are Gibson, as are the pots and knobs. The switch and jack are Switchcraft. The tone caps are ceramic just like Mr. Hookers. The E on the pickguard is placed in an exact position by hand and template. The nitro finishes are buffed out to polish just as guitars in the main plant and custom shop are.

slider313 likes this.
  15. Yogi_Sizzle

Yogi_Sizzle Member

Thanks! I had a chance to buy the Tobacco burst and a natural at the same time. I played them both and the tobacco edged the natural out, looking back I wish I had bought both, but at the time I also had a 1962 Sheraton reissue and a 1972 Gibson Es 325

slider313 likes this.
  16. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I've always been curious about these. Yours looks great!

slider313 likes this.
  17. blind radish

blind radish Supporting Member

Ah boom boom boom!

slider313 likes this.
  18. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

Yep, I was thinking about the Sheraton II. I'd settle for either one. Nice.

19. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Looks like the Assembled in USA model Sheraton I is what I should be looking for.

20. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I think the Sheraton II was AIUSA, too. You might want to check that out, though. I like the Boogie Man fret inlay.