• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD Epi Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty

singlecutarmy

Saw this announced and got excited for a 2020 epi fat neck black beauty with the yellowed 'antiqued' binding and diamond.

Turns out my local GC just got one in, so I swung by to try it out.

It's lighter and sounds better than my 2017, so yeah it came home. Now I'm going to find a new home for my old one :) It's really close but the thin vs. fat neck and weight really make the difference for me.

Has a little fret buzz but so does my 2017, I'll probably get it looked by a professional soon.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
Those look nice, but I worry about the middle pickup getting in the way of my picking hand. I'm more inclined to go with the Epiphone Inspired by '55 Black Beauty.
When I had an ES-5 I moved my picking hand up to between the bridge/middle, and the middle/neck. It took some work, but when I adjusted it was all good.

JWes65

Those look nice, but I worry about the middle pickup getting in the way of my picking hand. I'm more inclined to go with the Epiphone Inspired by '55 Black Beauty.
A middle pickup is an issue for me for this reason. I will even lower them all the way down if I have to.

singlecutarmy

Just lower it and you learn to pick higher over time.

The 55 is amazing too ;) I need to take it out of the case for some play soon.

toomuchgear

I managed to resist one whole day. Then ordered from Sweetwater. Won’t see it until December.
Why wait until December? I ordered one from Musician’s Friend on Wednesday and I was playing it today. It’s a great guitar; I’d put it up against my Gibsons any day.

singlecutarmy

I managed to resist one whole day. Then ordered from Sweetwater. Won’t see it until December.
I literally heard about it yesterday or Thursday as well but as soon as I saw it, it hit me a way no other 2020 epiphone did. like a need to have this. I'm not a joe bonamossa fan but I'm a huge black beauty fan and like fat necks.

CBHTele

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats!

I did the same yesterday after seeing it as “Available” at my local GC. They hadn’t even taken it out of the back, yet, and while it was being unboxed, they had an online order come in for it :oops:. If I had arrived 15 minutes later, it would have been spoken for.
Mine has minimal fret buzz after dialing it in, and the pickup switch is a bit wonky, but the rest is all good, and it plays great and sounds HUGE.

Love this thing, and it’s a great package for $799.

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
Are there any demos of anyone playing just the middle pickup? I’m so curious how that sounds.

CBHTele

Silver Supporting Member
Are there any demos of anyone playing just the middle pickup? I’m so curious how that sounds.
Actually, to me it sounds like the 4 position on a Strat, but a bit beefier. Some “quack” to be had there.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
A middle pickup is an issue for me for this reason. I will even lower them all the way down if I have to.
I've seen a few players do that also. I always wanted a white SG Custom and always avoided one, because I knew the middle pickup would be an issue.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Just lower it and you learn to pick higher over time.

The 55 is amazing too ;) I need to take it out of the case for some play soon.
Those are great guitars. I played a couple at GC when they were available and should have bought one then.

Trending Topics