• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD Epi Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty

InkStained

Congrats. That's a lot of Les Paul to pack into a single guitar.

That's based on an old Gibson Joe bought here at a store at Hauer Music in Dayton, Ohio.

Saw this announced and got excited for a 2020 epi fat neck black beauty with the yellowed 'antiqued' binding and diamond.

Turns out my local GC just got one in, so I swung by to try it out.

It's lighter and sounds better than my 2017, so yeah it came home. Now I'm going to find a new home for my old one :) It's really close but the thin vs. fat neck and weight really make the difference for me.

Has a little fret buzz but so does my 2017, I'll probably get it looked by a professional soon.

musicman1

Ive had a real black beauty but i really didnt like the mid/bridge pup combo that much. Id consider getting it wired more like frampton has his but everyone seems to have fret issues w these gtrs. Unless its really the crappy strings they come with but im also worried about cheap pot metal bridges that are bent or are already slighly collapsing out of the box.

Last edited:

Sweat

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats, really nice looking always wanted a black beauty but since I just bought the last JB Epi had to resist, enjoy!

Doomrider78

Ive had a real black beauty but i really didnt like the mid/bridge pup combo that much. Id consider getting it wired more like frampton has his but everyone seems to have fret issues w these gtrs. Unless its really the crappy strings they come with but im also worried about cheap pot metal bridges that are bent or are already slighly collapsing out of the box.
I haven't heard that being an issue on any of the new Epiphones. I've never even seen it on any of the ones I've looked at in store. I have one (a 50s Standard), and it certainly doesn't have any issues like that. Sure, the store had to level a couple of frets, but they did that for free.

toomuchgear

I’ve been playing mine pretty much non-stop since I got it yesterday. It is absolutely fantastic. I own a Gibson custom shop ‘57 VOS goldtop, and this thing can hold its own against it. You really get the most bang for your buck with everything that went into this beauty. It’s a keeper. FFD0CE96-C16E-4F09-9391-143F2DA1C28E.jpeg D37C810F-8C60-484B-B3DC-514807543CAE.jpeg D4319D6E-E529-4D55-B6CD-4E0DBA8722E5.jpeg A593A2F8-F72D-437A-8CF7-2D657A53393C.jpeg 239AAF54-55A8-4863-A4BD-0FEAA54B81AD.jpeg E15F8B54-3A0C-4180-BDBB-B9F2EFCD8D61.jpeg B48AD1A8-C9C6-4E12-A54A-89AF3CEE141B.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

singlecutarmy

Your 2017 what? Gibson or Epiphone?
Epiphone.

Granted, I bet a lot of that weight is... well... you can tell

Cant stomach seeing the stenciling on the case. Id never walk into a gig with that case. Im not a jb hater either.
I checked the whole guitar for signatures and was happy when I didn't find any. I have other high quality cases I can use.

xmd5a

I just suddenly got an urge to get a Black Beauty, because I discovered a wiring scheme that lets you get any combination of pickups (the stock selection doesn't get you get the middle pickup by itself), but one thing about this current Bonamassa model I'm not sure I can stand is the super-yellowed binding and headstock. I kind of hate it when my guitars get that way over the years anyway, and now here's a guitar that comes like this stock, and will it get even deeper yellow, turning to orange, as years pass? It wouldn't be so bad if the block inlays weren't bleach white.

Last edited:

singlecutarmy

I just suddenly got an urge to get a Black Beauty, because I discovered a wiring scheme that lets you get any combination of pickups (the stock selection doesn't get you get the middle pickup by itself), but one thing about this current Bonamassa model I'm not sure I can stand is the super-yellowed binding and headstock. I kind of hate it when my guitars get that way over the years anyway, and now here's a guitar that comes like this stock, and will it get even deeper yellow, turning to orange, as years pass? It wouldn't be so back if the block inlays weren't bleach white.
You can get a standard black beauty but the neck profile is the slim D most epis have. I used to hate it but ended up not minding it on my 2017 over time, just always preferred the C shape.

cliffenstein

I would be all over this if it weren't for the bright yellow fretboard binding and that dang middle pickup.

Please EPIPHONE make a 2020 and beyond regular fat neck custom or bring back the 1955 as a 2020 model!!!!

Trending Topics