• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD Epi Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty

singlecutarmy

the 1955 is a winner for sure.
Still one of my most unexpected purchases. I was shopping for epi LPCs and I really wanted humbuckers but I saw the 1955 on the wall, brand new, $800. Out of my budget, I was trying to score a used LPC for 400 or less.

I tried the 1955 anyway because why not? I fell in love immediately. I spent the next 6 months shopping for a double p90 les paul I could afford and just couldn't find one that did it for me.

But someone bought the 1955 and traded it in and it was up for $450, mint with all the case candy.

I had just bought a guitar and was on the last day of return, so I did the swap.

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
Still one of my most unexpected purchases. I was shopping for epi LPCs and I really wanted humbuckers but I saw the 1955 on the wall, brand new, $800. Out of my budget, I was trying to score a used LPC for 400 or less.

I tried the 1955 anyway because why not? I fell in love immediately. I spent the next 6 months shopping for a double p90 les paul I could afford and just couldn't find one that did it for me.

But someone bought the 1955 and traded it in and it was up for $450, mint with all the case candy.

I had just bought a guitar and was on the last day of return, so I did the swap.
I paid $500 or so for mine. Fantastic guitar.it sounds a little more raw than a humbucker Les Paul

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
I played one of these today. The pickups sound extremely good, the tacky/high gloss finish feels like any real Gibson I’ve owned, the weight wasn’t light but wasn’t heavy, and the frets were badly unpolished and felt very gritty when bending and you could hear the strings rake across the frets through the amp. It’s a cool looking guitar and sounds really nice; love that middle pickup position. It definitely feels like a modern import Chinese guitar in terms of fit and finish—at about $1000 after tax, I felt that for 400-500 more a pre-owned real Gibson Les Paul is the much smarter buy. As for the Epiphones you can get for like 400 bucks from the same factory with the exact same fit and finish (and maybe even the same pickups), I do feel those those are a really nice value and worth getting as opposed to a real Gibson.

singlecutarmy

I played one of these today. The pickups sound extremely good, the tacky/high gloss finish feels like any real Gibson I’ve owned, the weight wasn’t light but wasn’t heavy, and the frets were badly unpolished and felt very gritty when bending and you could hear the strings rake across the frets through the amp. It’s a cool looking guitar and sounds really nice; love that middle pickup position. It definitely feels like a modern import Chinese guitar in terms of fit and finish—at about $1000 after tax, I felt that for 400-500 more a pre-owned real Gibson Les Paul is the much smarter buy. As for the Epiphones you can get for like 400 bucks from the same factory with the exact same fit and finish (and maybe even the same pickups), I do feel those those are a really nice value and worth getting as opposed to a real Gibson.
QA is just inconsistent I guess, my fret tops are smooth, but the ends are not great.

I just don't really want a second hand Gibson and find them 'enough' to go hunting for a good one. I've tried to find a Gibson I'll fall in love with but just hasn't happened, I've bonded with more epi's.

I paid $500 or so for mine. Fantastic guitar.it sounds a little more raw than a humbucker Les Paul
I was surprised how tight they were, I use them for metal often times!

OnkelC

I cannot tell you how tempted I am ordering one. This BB needs a set of Optima Gold strings, be it for the looks only.

xmd5a

I have a three pickup Chibson LP that came with the neck and middle pickup soldered together, really stupid pickup selection scheme, but anyway, I installed two push pulls, one to turn the neck pickup on or off, and the other to turn the middle pickup on or off, all with a conventional two pickup selector switch. The neck pickup is on when the push pull is down, and the middle pickup is off when it's push pull is down. So in default mode, it's like a regular Les Paul, but with the push pulls, and pickup combo can be had.

The N+M and B+M combos are similar to a Strat's middle positions, but of course, a lot fatter sounding. B+M+N doesn't sound that much different from M+N, because the neck and middle have higher output and they dominate the mix.

Doomrider78

The Epiphany site mentions that the Joe B LP CUS EB has a long tenon. I received mine today, so here are some pics under the neck pickup. First, there is a sticker to remove to see the tenon. Looks to be longer to me.
Most of the new Epi's do, don't they? I know my 50s Standard does.

bluebassman

Most of the new Epi's do, don't they? I know my 50s Standard does.
Thanks for the info! I see on the Epiphone site that only the 50s Standard and Joe B LP Cus EB has the long tenon mentioned. Didn't see it on the Custom or 60's. But, if the other models also have the long tenon as standard, then that is a great feature!

Doomrider78

Thanks for the info! I see on the Epiphone site that only the 50s Standard and Joe B LP Cus EB has the long tenon mentioned. Didn't see it on the Custom or 60's. But, if the other models also have the long tenon as standard, then that is a great feature!
No, I'm sure you're right, and I probably misheard.

ablue

Gold Supporting Member
The Frampton model has the long tenon, ebony board and Grovers .

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been playing mine pretty much non-stop since I got it yesterday. It is absolutely fantastic. I own a Gibson custom shop ‘57 NOS goldtop, and this thing can hold its own against it. You really get the most bang for your buck with everything that went into this beauty. It’s a keeper. View attachment 293939 View attachment 293940 View attachment 293941 View attachment 293945 View attachment 293946 View attachment 293948 View attachment 293949
is that 50s wiring?

skydog

Why wait until December? I ordered one from Musician’s Friend on Wednesday and I was playing it today. It’s a great guitar; I’d put it up against my Gibsons any day.
Yeah, but yours didn't get a 55 point inspection!

toomuchgear

Yeah, but yours didn't get a 55 point inspection!
Well, someone sure inspected it because it played perfect right out of the box. I simply tuned it up to pitch and started wailing. The frets on mine were perfect, the action was great, the pickups were at the proper height, and it felt and sounded fantastic. I prefer 11s, so I changed the strings and did some tweaking to make it suit my playing style, but honestly, I was blown away by how well mine played right out of the case. Epiphone really nailed it with this one.

Trending Topics