• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD Epi Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty

xmd5a

Wait, are people saying this can't "hold it's own" against the '57 NOS Gold Top? I don't find that hard to believe. Some Epi's are perfection, some are crap, but at the $800 price point, they lean towards the former. At the same time, some Gibsons feel like they were rushed in the factory. I don't find it hard to believe that they could be comparable.

2020jan08

Silver Supporting Member
Very cool guitar, congratulations!

By the way, is that headstock stock now on Epiphones? A lot nicer than this one:

Sp8ctre

My Joe B. Black Beauty showed up Tuesday and it's perfect right out of the box.

No sharp frets, low action, no flaws I can see at all. 9 Pounds even.

The only issue I had was the terrible strings! My B string came unwound when
I was tuning up and it's impossible to restring it since it was trimmed after install.

I'm putting Hipshot tuners on mine because I love locking tuners. The Hipshot tuners
require no mods or extra holes so I can take them off and install the originals back
with ease.

dogratt

Really like this guitar and I haven't bought an Epi in many years. Unfortunately I just can't justify another guitar right now. I hope they keep this one in production for a while.

xmd5a

Really like this guitar and I haven't bought an Epi in many years. Unfortunately I just can't justify another guitar right now. I hope they keep this one in production for a while.
With Epiphone, I wouldn't count on it. There have been a lot of signature models I had wanted that I learned about only a few months too late, or it took a few months for me to start GAS'ing for it, by then it was too late. And it seems like the production runs are relatively small as there isn't even much on the used market, like the Lee Malia Artisan LP, or the Heafy Snowfall, or the Gary Clark Jr. model, nothing on Reverb. Fender seems to be a lot better about bringing back popular models, or at least making new models that are substantially similar.

So I was a bit on the fence about this model, but I mashed the buy button anyway, and my first order was cancelled on me, so I had to pre-order from another site, and I'm half worried that I'm never going to see this guitar. Would be sad, I'm already modding it in my head.

xmd5a

That dude has been trolling Epiphone threads for at least 3 or 4 years and he's a real @$$ about it.

We banned him on a site I moderate and I've blocked him every where I go if he shows up...
So is his saying the Epi holds it's own against an expensive Gibby problematic? I don't understand. I've seen some recent Epiphone reviews that compare them favorably to Gibsons. I feel a lot of the Chinese guitar manufacturers have really worked out a lot of the kinks this past decade. The Chinese Squiers are looking really nice too.

Sp8ctre

So is his saying the Epi holds it's own against an expensive Gibby problematic? I don't understand. I've seen some recent Epiphone reviews that compare them favorably to Gibsons. I feel a lot of the Chinese guitar manufacturers have really worked out a lot of the kinks this past decade. The Chinese Squiers are looking really nice too.
I think you misunderstand. The troll goes on every Epiphone thread bashing them and saying they are terrible worthless guitars.

We are talking about GibSG. Here's his comment in response to toomuchgear saying the Epiphone held it's own against his Gibson.

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
I used to dismiss Epiphones. Now I own 2 and feel they are a fantastic guitar for the $$$. I am most surprised that the MIC 1955 Custom might be a little better than the MIK Black Beauty I have.

xmd5a

I used to dismiss Epiphones. Now I own 2 and feel they are a fantastic guitar for the $$$. I am most surprised that the MIC 1955 Custom might be a little better than the MIK Black Beauty I have.
I'm not so surprised, I thunk the Korean Epis are sub par. I own about four Korean mades, and about ten Chinese Epis, the Chinese made are a lot better on average, very good finish work, frets, etc.

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not so surprised, I thunk the Korean Epis are sub par. I own about four Korean mades, and about ten Chinese Epis, the Chinese made are a lot better on average, very good finish work, frets, etc.
My Saein made black beauty has the bones of a good guitar. The 1955 is good out of the box.

dogratt

I don’t own Epi LPs currently but there was a while when I had quite a few and based on my experience, I too preferred the newer Chinese ones over the older Korean made ones by a mile. I’m really not sure where the urban legend of Korean LPs being better originated from. Even spec-wise, I found Korean-made necks to be too narrow.

singlecutarmy

the 1955 is STUPID good. Mine has zero flaws. Zero. Frets are perfect, no tooling marks, no spray over, binding is all immaculate. That run was so good, I haven't seen another like it. Even my Joe B has cosmetic flaws.

toomuchgear

Even my Joe B has cosmetic flaws.
That’s a bummer. I’ve looked mine over with absolute scrutiny and I can’t find a single flaw. That certainly isn’t the case with most of the Epiphones I’ve played over the years, but this BB is truly a stellar instrument. I’m happy to report that my JB “Treasure” firebird is absolutely top-notch as well. I don’t know anything about the other Bonamassa models that have been released over the years, but the two I own are fantastic.

Trending Topics