NGD - Epi Nighthawk

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PedalOnPedalOff, Feb 2, 2012.

1. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

So yea, i jumped on the Nighthawk train from the threads here and i gotta say i am on the impressed camp! its a good guitar, one minor finish issue, but its not really noticeable at all. Overall the build is actually very nice and feels solid.

First off this is a real comfortable guitar to play. it kinda melds into you. its thin and light and i like that these days. I also like the longer scale on it, its nice having a set neck that's different. The tones are nice, and you can get quite a few with all the pickup's and split combos. the real surprise for me was the neck mini - that thing rocks! its just a good sounding pickup/tone. the only downers are the fact that the action was as high as a monster truck; but a quick truss rod adjustment fixed that. and the strings are crap and need to be changed, i mean would a set of nice strings hurt???

I gotta say for 399 and the various coupons out there this thing is a real nice addition to anyone looking to get many, many tones for a gig or studio work in a pinch!

pic:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Sweet! I love mine too. Mine came setup perfect. yes, that neck mini-hum is sweet. I like the middle singlecoil as well. I almost got hte honeyburst but went transparent amber.

3. bluescube

How areyou liking the neck?

4. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

I like it a lot. it's comfortable for my paws. I just need to get it setup and she will be ready to go!

5. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

Nice lookin axe...I bet it really sounds good. I haven't played one of these but I like the fact that they seem somewhat rare.

6. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Are they? Isn't there some factory in China cranking them out by the jazillions?

7. bluescube

Made in Indonesia. I need to pull my pickups and see if mine has Gibson Japan stickers under them........

8. CadillacRed

CadillacRed Member

Always wanted one of those things...

9. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

its a lot of fun, the neck mini rocks! try one out if you can. you can get a lot of tones out of this thing. my only gripe about the guitar is the crappy cast saddles that it comes with. I have some solid stainless coming in soon to remedy that. otherwise i have nothing to complain about.

10. CadillacRed

CadillacRed Member

I've played the original Gibson version, they rock.

I think I will hunt down an Epi and see...thanks.

11. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

Id love to try one, and I love the honeyburst

12. dazco

dazco Member

I keep harping on and on about them myself, but till gotta have one to know. I'm starting to think it's the best electric i have ever owned, and i've been owning a lot of guitars since the early 70's. The tones are numerous and great, tho it took me some experimenting with treble bleeds and other things to really nail it so the tones were all balanced and usable. the p/u's aren't spectacular but they're perfectly acceptable. Being a perfectionist however i need to try one of the duncans made to fit the bridge and a lower output mini, maybe a GFS. The middle is fine tho. By the way, for anyone who DOESN'T think the middle is fine, ceck this guy out. Bottom of the page, a $36 replacement. You can't use any other single due to the way it mounts, so this is the only option aside from a custom build... http://www.bensoncustom.com/services.html

Anyways, incredible guitar. I have never owned anything with a neck this awesome action is low as he|| yet little buzz. It's just one of those guitars you pick up and it just speaks to you and you must have it. At least it did to me and a friend who's now talking about getting one, and he's contemplating selling his gibson hawk to get it !!!

13. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Looks real nice -too bad they don't have a Gibson that's the same...but with some switches, probably lots of cool tones.

Does it still "bloom " and sustain like a set neck even with the lighter weight ?

14. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Very nice.
    I used to have one of the original Gibsons but sold it.

Then I tried on of the Epiphones and thought it was a great guitar at a great price.

Congrats.