1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

NGD: Epiphone E212T Sheraton Union Jack!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sub rosa, Feb 11, 2019.

1. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Greetings from sunny Colorado!

I had one of these briefly last year, but it wasn't up to snuff.

Been keeping an ear to the ground and just got hold of a pristine specimen for the collection:

[​IMG]

Minor adjustment to the truss rod and all's good. Plays really well and the Gibson USA mini-humbuckers sound really nice.

Serial number places it as an October 2014 piece, which I guess is after the troublesome batch of these that escaped when they first came out.

The owner looks to have just kept it in its case, still had the Grover hand-tag on the headstock and plastic wrapping on the hardcore handle.

2. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

2014 will be remembered as a more innocent time for that flag, before a big dose of self-delusion soured things. Perhaps these guitars will become highly prized as a result!

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

A Gallagher Special! Love it! I could never pull the trigger on one because I'm more subdued in my aesthetic preferences. "Don't look at me!" is one of the artifacts of having been a fat kid...:crazyguy

4. Captainruss

Captainruss Member

I love that model. I have a black ‘92 Sheraton that is one of my finest guitars. That Gallagher has just always attracted me. My wife says they are hideous. She’s wrong.

5. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Huh?

6. Electricb

Electricb Member

Love it. They need to make this a standard model in cherry and sunburst. The mini hums in combination with the frequensator and massive headstock look killer. I’ve always loved the multiply neck binding on Sheratons too.

7. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

I think they did that a couple of years before with the ‘62 reissue model.

8. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Very nice and welcome to the club.

I always found it odd that that the Gallagher 'Supernova' model differed greatly from his famous painted Sheraton, particularly the Supernova's full-sized humbuckers. This model is much closer but no official endorsement is made or implied.

I replaced the nut on mine with a Tusq fairly soon after purchase. I've dne same on most of my guitars but the Sheraton stock nut grooves were hopeless.

I absolutely love the look of and the quirkiness of the Frequensator but I was having nightmares with string breakage and replacing a string on the fly with that tailpiece is an exercise in panic and futility.

Having successfully retrofitted an ES-339 with a Bigsby and a Vibramate spoiler and a Towner bar, I decided to do the same on the Sheraton (minus the Towner) even it meant losing the visual styling of the Frequensator. The Bigsby retrofitted Sheraton is now solid and stable and trustworthy enough to be a stage guitar.

I'm still not 100% sold on the stock mini humbuckers. They do sound good through OD pedals and/or an amp with OD but a slightly dirty sound is my stock rhythm tone and the minis sound a little thin in that role especially compared to the Antiquities I put in my 339. Duncan offers minis but I've been spending gear $ elsewhere to date.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    sub rosa likes this.
  9. Electricb

Electricb Member

I know. I should have bought one at the time but didn’t. I wish they would bring them back since the used prices are sky high.

10. cugel

cugel Member

Gallagher for the win

stilwel likes this.