NGD: Epiphone Firebird

madhermit

I picked up an Epiphone Firebird about a month ago. It’s the one with the real-deal FB720 pickups in it. I didn’t realize until recently that they are not the same as a mini-humbucker. They are a different design with blade magnets and have a unique sound. Since my guitar choices are mainly about different sounds, I picked one up. (I was leaning towards a Vintera Jaguar, but the last price increase finally turned me off. That model has gone up over $500 Cdn in about 3.5 years!)

Pretty well made guitar. Decent action and the intonation is pretty spot on. Pretty light at 7.7 lbs as they are fairly thin bodied.

One thing to note. Firebirds are LONG guitars. When hanging on a wall hanger beside a strat, it sticks up about 3 inches more, and hangs about 9 inches lower, so maybe about a foot longer!

One issue I had was the bridge pickup was microphonic. When I took it back in to get it fixed, they compared it to the other Firebird they had in stock. Funnily enough, the neck pickup of that guitar was microphonic. So they swapped the good bridge into my guitar so they only have one guitar to warranty claim and kept a customer happy. I have had issues with Epiphone pickups being microphonic in the past, so something to watch for.

Love the sound of this Firebird. They are fairly bright, but not shrill. They have their own thing going on. So maybe thanks for Joe B for getting Epiphone to make proper Firebird pickups! (I think it was Joe B. who got them back in production.)

Required pic…
HlH4qso.jpg

vadsy

Silver Supporting Member
I stopped by the shop and saw a few new guitars on the hangers, the Epi Firebird caught my eye for sure. I didn't even know it was being offered. I was going to make a thread on this but since you started this one, I'll just ask if you like it still?

pic... (don't be scared of the dollar amount, it's in Canadian)
IMG_5873.jpeg

madhermit

I stopped by the shop and saw a few new guitars on the hangers, the Epi Firebird caught my eye for sure. I didn't even know it was being offered. I was going to make a thread on this but since you started this one, I'll just ask if you like it still?

pic... (don't be scared of the dollar amount, it's in Canadian)
View attachment 592886
Love it still. Very cool sounding pickups. It’s a fun addition to what I have and is between P90 and humbuckers approximately.

FlamesAreWicked

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been eyeballing these for a hot min.. now that stock has caught up some.. it’s really making me want one..only really concern is getting one like pictured above. Some cuts of laurel have been very light and unattractive (to me)…otherwise, I can fill the void of regret from selling a ‘17 Gib version

Rekonizefull

Cool man firebirds are awesome. They do occupy a unique spot in the tonal spectrum so they record well and cut through a band in a good way. You know Jonny winter said he used firebirds alot because he wanted something that felt like a gibson but leaned towards a fender in tone. He always sounded good. And he would run music man amp with bass and mids at 0 but treble on 10!

Sorry I'm a big firebird fan, congrats on the cool guitar

pwnzie

Really wish they offered these in more colors… especially Pelham Blue or wine red

Most of the sunbursts on the China-made Epis look very “striped” to me - no subtlety to the blending
thats the thing I dont like, otherwise I'd buy it

Silverback

Silver Supporting Member
The new Epiphone Firebirds are much more authentic to the original Firebirds imo. And the pickups are correct.

The pickups and build on those new birds are... well.... Epiphone Authentic, for lack of a better phrase. :eek:

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
You know Jonny winter said he used firebirds alot because he wanted something that felt like a gibson but leaned towards a fender in tone. He always sounded good. And he would run music man amp with bass and mids at 0 but treble on 10!
True... but then he would also play almost totally on the neck pickup too – at least in his Firebird days

charliechitlins

Silver Supporting Member
I noticed Firebirds were long when I kept whacking the mic with the headstock.
I would be thrilled to have a good, microphonic pickup.
The originals were all microphonic.
When did this become a warranty issue?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom