NGD: Epiphone inspired by Gibson Flying V Ebony 2020 - review. Image added!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Daka3, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Daka3

Daka3 Member

I see. Thank you!

2. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

we started this a touch today... Interesting update - the frets are NOT channel bound. There is actually "binding" on the neck - it's a wood binding. Get a real bright flashlight and look at your board from the top and you can find the seam. That was a new one on me!

3. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Yeah! Got you. This is good news, right? Seems like they veneered the sides of the fretboard. Maybe indian laurel doesn't look all that great from the side, I don't know. Otherwise: Raising the action just a tad, even with the leveled frets, took the tone from good to a whole lot better! Lots of meat.

4. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Well this thread has put me off getting one of the new Epi LPs

Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

5. snow and steel

That sort of makes no sense.

I've NEVER picked up a guitar under $1000 that came out of the box with a factory set up or fret job I found satisfactory. Anything under $800 I just assume it is going to need some high frets touched, fret ends dressed, and a set up. I can do most of this work myself, and you can too with some easy know-how. If that kind of stuff is too much, then you probably need to be looking at much higher priced instruments, not $600 ones.

After cleaning and moisturizing the fretboard, installing strap locks and giving it a proper set up, it was stage ready. The stock electronics sound great too. The only thing about this guitar that really could be a deal breaker for some that I can see is the neck - it's more 60's/slim taper than 50's chunky. If you DEMAND a 50's neck, this isn't correct.

The refret I'm doing with stainless is purely for my own fun - the guitar doesn't require it. I'm curious to see if I can do a passable job, since I have access to a friends tools, bench and his advice/guidance if I start to screw it up.

6. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Again, flaws notwithstanding, this is a solid instrument, and it sounds good. After the fretjob, it plays as well as anything I have too. But your choice, naturally.

7. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

But what you're talking about is something that is not fit for purpose. If it was a car, or a bicycle, or a computer I'd take it back, and that would be perfectly reasonable. I dont know why people think it is reasonable to spend around a thousand bucks on a guitar and it not be fit for purpose.

I get that guitars are made of materials that are effected by atmospheric conditions but the shop should sort that out before its shipped or collected.

I also get that a setup is usually needed as you can't please everyone, but poor build quality that renders the guitar unplayable is not acceptable, IMO; even in a so-called "cheap" one.

musicman1 likes this.
  8. snow and steel

We must be reasonable.

If you bought a chevy volt and complained it wasn't fast enough out of the hole for street racing it would be the same as what you're talking about. You do not get a perfect set up guitar out if the box for $600. Hel . If you bought a $2k guitar and it comes to you in the mail I highly doubt it would arrive perfectly setup. That's the joy of getting these through the mail. Even hanging on the wall of a shop they often aren't set up perfect.

Likewise, I did not experience a bad build in my example. It needed a set up and the board moisturized. We must bear in mind that No one is opening guitars and handling/setting up/cleaning them during this covid-19 period.

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

The neck profile thing is one of the only bitches I have with the "Inspired by Gibson" Epi models. Despite their assertion that these are Epiphone versions of Gibson models with the same specs, some of the guitars that should have rounded 50's necks, like the batwing SG and a couple of others have instead slim taper necks, despite the Gibsons they are supposed to be copies of having the 50's rounded profile. Why have both the batwing and '61 style SG's equipped with slim profile necks?. It leaves no SG option for those who don't get along with the skinny neck profile. They should have given the 50's neck profile IMO to the models that Gibson uses that profile on. I would be interested in a couple of those new Epi's if they had just done that. As it seems, only the 50's LP and maybe the Junior have the more rounded profile, I have no idea why they chose to do that but I think it's a mistake, and goes against the premise of the Inspired by Gibson line.
    Al

10. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Just because you're used to it, doesn't make it right.

musicman1 likes this.
  11. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Member

12. Daka3

Daka3 Member

These are all valid points. All I wanted was to give a fair and detailed impression for the benefit of other potential V afficionados on that eternal quest: the affordable 58-style V. Everyone can make his or her own choice accordingly, I know I’m really pleased with my new guitar. No, still no pics. I tried to make it work. It did not. I aint Got the time, baby.

Gonkboy likes this.
  13. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you: I'm glad you're happy. My annoyance is with manufacturers, if anyone.

Daka3 likes this.
  14. Daka3

Daka3 Member

No worries. And I agree with you. My only point is this: several of my guitars have needed fretjobs out of the box. My two favorite Fenders are my Road Worn strat and tele. Both needed fretjobs rather badly, but today, they are among my favorite playing guitars. Should I have avoided them because of the bad frets? No. Would have been my loss. It shouldt be this Way, but there it is. Ironically, the only new guitar I bought during the last, say ten years that DIDNT need a fretjob was my Epiphone bonamassa firebird. Yep, chinese.

15. fuzz guy

fuzz guy Member

My 2013 Epi G400 Pro came with rosewood binding on the neck, but I agree, it's not something I'd seen before that.

The new 2020 models intrigue me, I already have an Epi '58 korina V so I'm set there, but the Pelham blue SG Special with P90s would be a welcome addition to my collection.

Daka3 likes this.
  16. Daka3

Daka3 Member

[​IMG]
    Finally! Imgur and I joined forces on a higher level to bring you all this decidedly low-res image of my new V. Enjoy! Now that I finally cracked the code, feel free to request details.

17. snow and steel

update;

I'm finishing up mine tomorrow so I will post pics then.

I'm glad I did a lot of this work myself as that makes it affordable. No sane person would do this. Everytime I'd get into something I'd say "well, since I'm this far into it..." and do one or two other things. The didn't need any or this per se - it only really needed a good set up. however there is an old Russian saying; "Better is the enemy of good enough", and since I new I could improve it I just couldn't help myself. The upside is it really is turning out amazing.

I've installed some Duncan 59's [the "vintage blues" set cause I had them lying around]. I also put in new wires/pots/switch - all the new pots are a touch over 500K, with good vintage pushback wire, and switchcraft jack and switch - again, because I had these all extra in my parts bin and I had it this far ripped part so why not. I installed some Schaller strap locks as well.

I pulled the corny Epi logo off and filled the holes with some soft black clay - that way it can be put back if the need/desire ever arises, but I think I'm going to just leave the headstock black and blank - let people wonder.

I pulled the old frets and had no major problems. I did feel the board needed some proper hydration and care so I spent a couple days doing that. I used some real natural lemon oil until it wasn't soaking any more up after a couple minutes and then cleaned it. It looks a touch darker, plus feels and looks a ton better. I planed the board and leveled everything, and contoured the fingerboard edges while I was there for a nice subtle rolled edge feel. It was interesting to note that this guitar does have a dual action truss rod.

I've got the Stainless Steel frets in - I used Jescar #FW47104 - now I just need to finish the polish. I'll polish tomorrow and then finish the new bone nut I've got started for it, then I'll string it up and do my final set up and it should be good to go!

Once we are able to play shows again, I'll take it out and get some audio, plus be able to compare it to the other guitarist's Gibson [which I think is a late 80's or early 90's model? not sure]. Finished pics tomorrow though.

More then~

Daka3 likes this.
  18. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Amazing! After a good fretjob, I don't see myself futzing any more with mine. The only thing, maybe, would be to shield the cavity with some copper foil, since there is some hum when playing loud and overdriven. But otherwise, I'm done. It took my some days to get the neck dialed in exactly the way I want it. I ended up with a tiny of bit relief for meatier tones. I use 11-49s and I like some air in my action. The probuckers and electronics do me just fine. I really like their chirpy top end.

19. snow and steel

Added a custom truss rod cover, case and finished it up today. I think I want to change the switch tip to a black one, but otherwise its ready. I was able to get the action dead level at tension and really low with now fret buzz. It plays super easy now, and I'm very impressed with how everything came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Sweet! I do miss those pickup covers though, but that's just my visual preference! Glad you dig it!