NGD! ES 333

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Super Reverb Swell, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Super Reverb Swell

Super Reverb Swell Supporting Member

So after my recent thread asking about getting into the hollow body/semi hollow body game, I just pulled the trigger on a local deal and picked up an ES 333 for a fair price. I found a thread on here that sang their praises even over the 335 in some cases (although maybe that's just because it was an affordable guitar in its day). It's practically mint! I got to test run her last night at band practice and just couldn't believe how well she makes my YGM III explode. Also couldn't believe how nicely she cleaned up and the vast array of tones I could get.

Maybe it's just because I've been playing some lesser quality guitars lately, but it blew my mind. Definitely a keeper for a while. My only gripe is that it isn't as comfortable to hold sitting down because of the hard edges (I became very accustomed to playing a flying V between my legs). Maybe if I play it hard enough I can wear my own tummy cut into her :aok

[​IMG]

2. MarcJ

MarcJ Member

Very nice! What kind of pickups are in it?

I've got a sunburst with Mojotone PAF's, RS wiring harness and a pickguard. It's a sweet guitar.

3. Super Reverb Swell

Super Reverb Swell Supporting Member

Awesome! I really like the satin finish they put on this model, can't see my finger prints as well. I was told the pickups are just the stock pickups which makes them 490R and 498T. The original owner just added covers. I've been thinking about swapping them out, but when I played them last night I didn't hate it.

I do have an old Ibanez super 70s and a vintage Dimarzio PAF kicking around though. Anyone have any thoughts on those? I got them in a trade, haven't heard them in use yet.

4. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

excellent guitar choice! Enjoy!

5. Neo

Neo Member

I read a similar thread comparing the 333 to the 335, and the consensus seemed to be that the 333 was more consistently vibrant sounding than its glossy cousin.

I kinda like how the 498t sounds in the 333; the shrill highs are tamed and overall gives it a boxy, "Crazy Train" tone, at least to my ears.

And yeah, there's something about MIA guitars that makes em feel more upscale and comfy, and I think it's because of the hand-rolled edges on the neck. Even my MIJ guitars don't have that refined feel on the neck that the MIA ones do.

6. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Congrats. I wish Gibson still made 333's. Best bang for the buck and they are much easier to upgrade. I would have bought a black 333 instead of my 335 without hesitation. I don't like the 335 pickguard (removed mine), I like the satin finish, and I like to change out pickups and pots which can be a PIA on 335s.

7. rummy

rummy Member

Love the 333s. I was searching for one because I knew I wanted to rip out the electronics. I ended up going with the 335, and swapping the electronics took a lot of patience.

Anyway, congrats!

8. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Congrats! I'm a former 333 owner and I've thought many of times of cutting a hole in the back of my current semi-hollow as pickup changes are that much of a pain.

9. gamblin man

gamblin man Member

Nice purchase! I am really enjoying my recently acquired 330, I'm sure you will get a ton of enjoyment out of this one!

10. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

My 333 won out over a bunch of 335's, a 339 and a Lucille in my semi-hollow hunt! They're awesome guitars!

11. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

No ideas on the super 70s, but the vintage DiMarzio is a very nice pickup. The early ones were unpotted and have a great lively sound if it hasn't gone too microphonic.

A good setup would be the 490R in the neck and the DiMarzio in the bridge, with 500k pots. Or put the 490R in the bridge and the DiMarzio in the neck. The 490R is actually a very good sounding bridge pickup.

I have a 333 just like yours, hated the stock pickups, but 500k pots and a DiMarzio PAF type covered humbucker (can't remember the name) in the bridge and a Shaw in the neck really made it speak. These guitars just love vintage humbuckers. And the ES-333 has that midrange vibe that only true Gibson ES's have.

12. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I would keep the 490/498 pickups, I know they get blasted alot on the gear page but I have the same pickups in Les Paul Custom and when I bought it I read the reviews here and decided that when it got in I would replace them but I have found them to be excellent and after playing several gigs with them I wouldn't change them out. The thing you have to be aware of is that many people on this forum are chasing the "holy grail of tone" what ever that is and Eric Clapton could pickup your guitar as it is now and make it sound amazing. Enjoy your guitar for at least 6 months and then decide if a pickup change is really necessary. (this is considered heresy and I will probably get burned at stake for these comments)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015