NGD: ES Les Paul (Needed a lot of work)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Masa, Sep 19, 2017.

1. sg13

sg13 Member

That's too bad about the neck angle, can't change that. However, they all vary quite a bit. The neck angle on my es lp is very shallow, allowing for a lower bridge setting like I prefer with a les paul, but still with plenty of adjustment room. I personally think a lower neck angle creates better tone and feel but only discovered this after many years and going through many guitars. A higher neck angle is a good reason for a return when I buy, because I know it will bother me after awhile.

2. Masa

Masa Member

Yes, it's a Hamer Korina Artist Custom, which was a limited run about 20 years ago. I had Tom Holmes on it for many years, but I put the Powertrons last year. Comparing to this Hamer, the new ES LP feels like a toy, unfortunately. It's probably because of the overall quality and the solid Limba top vs laminated top. They sound very different, which was another reason why I decided to keep the ES LP. The ES LP sounds more hollow.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  3. Masa

Masa Member

What year is yours? I checked pictures of other ES LP's, and they all looked pretty steep. I contacted CME about it, because it was a concern, and they said that's normal. My R0 and Hamers have much shallower neck angles, and I like them. I had an ES 335, but sold it 10 years ago, so I don't remember how steep the neck angle was.

From my experience with classical guitars, I knew very shallow angle on classical guitars normally has less dynamics and lower volume. So, I figured it may not be a bad thing for a hollow body guitar.

I just found this web page. My ES LP looks like the 64 ES 335 neck angle. They said "This is a pretty typical neck angle for a post 1960 ES-335."

http://www.es-335.org/2014/04/

4. sg13

sg13 Member

There is an acceptable range, just look at the bridge height. Generally it should be low but with some adjustment room. If its way too high, then they were just lazy when they set they neck.

too high
    http://ewilkins.com/lespaul/1956/56_side.jpg

too low
    http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10009/58_Bridge.JPG

You want it to be inbetween those two pics when adjusted to your preferred action.

5. BBBJay

BBBJay Member

I got an ES LP from CME and didn't have near the issues you did, geez. The LP classic I just got though is getting swapped for another as the nut was incorrectly cut, string spacing is horribly off!

6. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

My experience as well...love my ES Goldtop, not a flaw anywhere. Luck of the draw I guess but I certainly would've had no problem sending it back and rolling the dice again, especially for the deal I got on it.

7. airportbar

airportbar Member

I got 2 from them with no issues at all.

Glad to see it's sorted now.

8. Masa

Masa Member

To be honest, the only unexpected issue was the poorly cut notches on the saddles. Gibson is supposed to send me a new bridge.

The last 7 electric guitars that I got were a vintage Gibson, 1963 SG Jr and 6 partscasters that I put together. I needed to level all the frets for the partscasters, except one Warmoth neck, which happened to be perfect. All the necks were from Warmoth and USACG. So, to me, leveling frets on new guitars are almost like a part of the initial setup. I think PLEK should do better job, though. The last Gibson I bought 10 years ago was an R0, and it didn't need any fret leveling.

9. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I admire your commitment! I would have just sent it back but I also don't have your tech skills. Glad you got it just right!!!

10. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Are you sure it was new? The bad bridge sounds like it was worked on before.

11. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

I wondered the same thing about the double notches.

It came stock with a tonepros bridge? Nice feature if so. It's a shame that had to be replaced.

12. Masa

Masa Member

It was a floor model from CME. It did look like a brand new guitar, when I received it. I asked CME about the notch issue. They said they didn't touch those. They said it was done by Gibson. CME asked for a picture. I sent a pic, and they contacted their Gibson rep. Gibson agreed to send me a new bridge. So, whatever it was, at least, Gibson took the responsibility, assuming they actually send it to me. CME said ETA about a week.

Yes, according to Gibson website, ES Les Pauls come with Tone Pro ABR-2. And, that's what I got. I really don't care about the locking thing, though.

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  13. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Someone looking for custom buckers in the emporium.

14. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

I have an ES-Les, it was returned shortly after purchase by a Tele player. The store had 2 other new ones but this one had "a voice" that the others just didn't have.
    I don't think it ever had a Pro setup which it's about to get. Its a special guitar IMO, but it's far from what you would call perfect.

IMO, you never buy a guitar without playing it, unless the sound isn't why you're buying it.