NGD: Fender 50th Anniversary Jaguar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ejendres, Apr 30, 2016.

1. ejendres

ejendres Member

I picked this up a few weeks back. I really like it. The fit and finish is fantastic and neck is really comfy. I play Les Pauls primarily so the shorter scale doesn't bug me.

I don't understand the hate on the trem, since I set it up ive had no tuning issues.

My one complaint is the pickups. They sound good but they're quite hot and thick sounding. I was hoping for a more traditional Fender sound. Something jangly and round. Anyone have experience with aftermarket Jag pickups? What's good out there that won't break the bank?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Great Shot Pilot

Great Shot Pilot Supporting Member

First couple of pickup sets that come to mind are Fender's AV65 set, which are affordable and pretty well regarded, and the Duncan Antiquity II's. The Fenders are of course stock in my AV65 Jag and they sound great. You'll have a hard time finding anyone saying something bad about the Antiquities, which are popular over at OSG.

Great guitar, BTW - had one exactly like it, and it was great.

3. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

Wow, thats an awesome jag! Love the color, inlays, and neck binding.

4. BBBJay

BBBJay Member

5. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I would just lower the pickups a bit before you start chasing aftermarket pickups. If that doesn't work, I agree with the AV65 suggestion.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    VaughnC and Rhythm Rocker like this.
  6. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

AV65's are a great choice, as are the Antiquities from Duncan.

On the trem - as you are finding, when properly setup they are rock solid. A lot of the talk about them being bad are due to poor setups. And I will say up until recently finding anyone that new how to setup a Fender offset was rare.

Great looking Jag by the way

7. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Man, I love that color blue.
    Nice guitar, congrats !

8. MilesMitchell

MilesMitchell Member

I agree with trying to lower the pickups first. Making them flush with the Pickguard (or even lower) seems to do the trick with me personally. If not I'd suggest the avri 65s as well

Rhythm Rocker likes this.
  9. Rai

Rai Member

Sweet Jag! Grats.

10. ejendres

ejendres Member

Thanks dudes! I'm really liking it. I'll try and lower the pickups but I also like modding so I'll probably replace them :lol:

11. Creepwood

Creepwood Member

So awesome, congrats! My lefty Kirn Jaguar looks similar, this is the vibe I was going for :)

12. ejendres

ejendres Member

Thanks man! I love the LPB and block inlays

13. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

Beautiful Jag! I will pile on the chorus of people saying you should try the Fender AV65 pickups. I have them in my Jag and love them. If you're chasing the traditional Jaguar tone, you can't go wrong with them at $81 shipped.

One of the reasons you find that the trem/bridge setup is more solid on yours is that for that particular model Fender moved the trem closer to the bridge to increase the break angle of the strings and they angled the neck pocket so that you don't need a shim. Intense Jaguar purists say the repositioned trem kills a bit of the traditional Jaguar vibe, but I haven't played the anniversary edition side-by-side with a Jag that has the traditional placement to see if I notice a difference.

14. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Great looking Jag. Congrats!

15. SPROING!

SPROING! Member