NGD: Fender Blacktop Baritone Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zastruga, Jan 24, 2012.

1. zastruga

zastruga Member

Happened to come on my lunch break, so I snapped a quick photo (crappy cell) and plugged it in real quick!

[​IMG]

I bought this kind of on a whim, having never played a baritone before.

Initial impressions:

- It has a well crafted, solid feel to it, as to be expected from Fender these days
    - Neck is a bit chunky, in a good way. I imagine they beefed it up a bit to deal with the heavy gauge strings/longer scale.
    - Pickups are decent, but still not great. The humbucker is surprisingly twangy though!
    - Tuners didn't seem to hold the strings in tune very well, but it had just traveled halfway across the country, so I'll give that a second chance.

The sound is interesting, to say the least. It can get real close to bass territory, but still plays like a guitar. I like it for sure, but will need more time with it to really get the best out of it.

(I only got about ~10 minutes with it, so these are very hasty impressions)

2. wwit

wwit Member

Grats enjoy!!

This has been on my wish list this year.

3. zastruga

zastruga Member

A little muddy, but to be honest I didn't have time to dial in a sound. Just amp on and play! I don't think they'll ever be quite as clear as a normal Tele, but it's definitely nowhere near as bad as chording on a bass.

4. Sikor

Sikor Member

Congrats in nice NGD! :aok

BBT is on my list too :D

5. celticelk

celticelk Member

Also on my list for the next 6 months, but I'll probably restring and set up for standard tuning. I'd be interested to hear what you think when you've had a little more playing time!

6. DcM

DcM Member

Try tightening the screws a lil bit on the machine heads? Maybe its something simple like that. These also come in a 3 tone sunburst finish that isn't listed on the fender site. I haven't seen any in any local shops yet. :munch

[​IMG]

7. celticelk

celticelk Member

Also: I've had it confirmed that the route on these bodies is a swimming pool, so those who are so inclined can get a replacement pickguard and switch from HSS to HH.

8. zastruga

zastruga Member

Yes, I can confirm that as well. Though, to be honest, I like the single coil sounds quite a lot. More so than the humbucker.

After playing with it a bit more, and even some at a gig last night, I'm a bit more on the fence about it. With a good clean amp, it sounds wonderful. But with any kind of drive on it, it becomes unwieldy and muddy very quickly. Like I said though, I've never played a baritone so I really have no frame of reference for what it *should* sound like.

Also, tuning issues are occurring less and less. So I'll chalk that up to changes in the weather during shipping and the factory strings.

Anyway, for anyone thinking of getting one, it's definitely worth taking a look at. I've found more good than bad so far.

9. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

10. JayNo

JayNo Member

I have the Candy Apple Blacktop Tele, I love it.

I want one of these, badly.

11. Sikor

Sikor Member

I was on the verge when I've heard about new baritone teles,
    but whe I saw this picture I was sold :drool

This guitar is beautiful and it will be very hard not to buy one :omg

12. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I use a bass amp for my Dano.

13. RonM

RonM Member

Does the Telecaster Blacktop baritone come with a case? I can't find any mention of a case on any of the sites.

14. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

99% sure that it doesn't

15. indytone

indytone Member

I bought one of these, but would like to try modding it. I'm not entirely happy with the pickups or bridge.

What are some good manufactures of after market, loaded pick guards?

What model/size tremolo would fit the Tele Blacktop Baritone?

After some minor adjustments to the intonation and action, this thing plays pretty well. I have a Danelectro baritone as well, which sounds very clear and chimey; however, it's not as solid a build as the Telecaster.

16. zastruga

zastruga Member

I doubt you'll find too many loaded pickguards for a Tele in this configuration. Likewise, any tremolo would likely require routing, unless you went with a Bigsby style that mounted to the top.

I'm still having tuning issues with mine, anyone else have this problem? Might just be bad strings, I need to order more since I don't have any baritone strings laying around.

17. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Necro-bumping an old thread to ask, how's it going with this guitar? Have the tuning issues resolved themselves? What sort of strings are players running on these?

Has anyone installed a humbucker-routed tele pickguard on one of these?

18. Onioner

Onioner Member

I've had one for a few months now, and I'm still loving it. I've strung mine up like a normal guitar though (I just wanted a long scale telecaster). I haven't had any tuning issues, nor do I find it at all unsatisfying at higher OD levels. It's really been an eye opener for me. I love the long scale, and the fretboard radius, and the beefier than expected neck was a pleasant surprise as well. I have mine set up for P90/tele mid/HB, though I'm still waiting on the middle pickup. Very pleased so far, and it's become my most used guitar, which is only sad as I have what I thought was the perfect Telecaster hanging around feeling unloved now. I just love the feel of that scale.

Anyways, not the most help, since I'm running standard (albeit slightly heavy) gauge strings and tuning it to standard(ish), but I've had no issues with tuning stability or muddiness. Overall still thrilled with the purchase. My one big complaint (and it is a big one...) is that the pickups are located as if it was a 25" scale guitar, and as such, closer to the bridge than they should be for the scale length. It is, after all, a standard tele body, w/ a long neck on it, which is probably why I could get it for $400...

19. zastruga

zastruga Member

Well, I've since moved this guitar on. As much as I liked it it just wasn't getting much use. I ending up selling it at a pretty significant loss to a friend of mine who LOVES dropped tunings because I knew he really wanted it and it would get played much more (and much better!) in his hands. I can tell you he's been extremely happy with it so far. Zero complaints from him and I see it out at his gigs quite often. Plus, I do tend to get a few free shots at every gig as thanks, so maybe it wasn't THAT significant of a loss :D

As for the tuning issues, I took it to a ex-guitar tech buddy of mine and had him give it a thorough setup and restring with slightly thicker gauge. That seemed to cure all the problems for the most part. Like I said, I always liked the guitar it just never really jived with my play style. So it goes, at least it's got a good home now!

20. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Cool, thanks. Anyone else care to report on this model?