• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD: Fender Jaguar Johnny Marr Olympic White

ObeyTheCurls

Have to share... I'm totally loving this guitar. I actually got it a few weeks ago, but haven't put it down long enough to take a picture until now. :)

A few things about this guitar... The pickups are custom Bare Knuckle and are very low output. Not what I was expecting. I thought about changing them when I first plugged in the guitar, but I decided to wait and live with them for a while and have actually grown to like the sound. The 4th position "humbucker" sound (pickups in series) is just sick. A HUGE FAIL BY FENDER is that the fretboard is 7.25" radius and the bridge is 9.5" radius! It was really awkward to play because the middle two strings were closer to the fretboard than the outer strings. I got a StayTrem 7.25" bridge (pictured) and it plays beautifully! So, if you get this guitar, make sure to allow an extra $109 in your budget to get the correct radius bridge. Lastly, I swapped out the white pickguard for an Aged Pearloid. Looks sharp.

tkachuk07

That's odd.. I thought all mustang saddles were set at 7.25 & the Marr came with those. Thus, Squier VM Jaguar/Jazzmaster owners can't match the 9.5 radius neck with a $30 mustang bridge, but would need to invest more in a staytrem to change their bridge & have the radius match.

ObeyTheCurls

Very odd indeed, but I checked it with a radius tool and it is 9.5. The one I just put on is 7.25 and it's SOOOO much better.

inveigle

That is odd about the bridge but I will give you the information I know to be true. Fender just throws stock mustang bridges on these guitars. In doing so the high E falls right off the fretboard in the upper register. I also purchased a Staytrem and it not only corrects the problem, it improves the sustain and playability. I also purchased the forged metal switch tip which is a vast improvement over the plastic one. It is an incredible guitar. The pickups coupled with the switching options are sublime.

ObeyTheCurls

That is odd about the bridge but I will give you the information I know to be true. Fender just throws stock mustang bridges on these guitars. In doing so the high E falls right off the fretboard in the upper register. I also purchased a Staytrem and it not only corrects the problem, it improves the sustain and playability. I also purchased the forged metal switch tip which is a vast improvement over the plastic one. It is an incredible guitar. The pickups coupled with the switching options are sublime.
I agree with everything you said about the StayTrem. It's a huge improvement! If I had seen the metal switch tip when ordering the bridge, I would have gotten that too. Maybe I still will! And yes, the switching options are the most useful I've ever had. I usually have the Universal bright switch OFF and the In Series bright switch ON.

chillybilly

Blinded by the light.

I have to admit I still puzzle over Johnny Marr's choice of a Jaguar as his signature instrument, given the others that went before ie Gibson and Rickenbacker.

But Gibson rarely issue signature models and Rickenbacker are probably done for good anyway....

lustycourtier

I have to admit I still puzzle over Johnny Marr's choice of a Jaguar as his signature instrument, given the others that went before ie Gibson and Rickenbacker.

But Gibson rarely issue signature models and Rickenbacker are probably done for good anyway....
Johnny ended up playing with a jag by accident and realised it was the one. I did the same with a 6120/falcon after years of chopping and changing with gibsons, fenders, rics, and everything in between

Bradleyonmic

I was going to go with one of these a few years ago, but a deal on a Jazzmaster popped up and eased my offset craving. I really like the guitar, but didn't know about the radius diff.

stratter

Not very familiar with the model, but maybe the bridge/fretboard radius issue was actually specified by Johnny Marr when he made it? Kinda like how on Eric Clapton's sig, he has a decked trem.

Kylef

I had two Marr Jags, a white one I used as my main guitar and a sherwood green that I've kept in its case since new.
Stupidly, I used my white one as a partial trade for a Non Reverse firebird as it's the only one the guy would take. Ive regretted it ever since. So I bought another one this week that's basically the same prove as I sold my old one for, with more things on it (Staytrem, spare guards etc) and it's mint, as opposed to my old ome which had major paint flaws which see,s to be the norm. I'm intrigued to see if Fender have fixed the problem on the newer models (mines a 2015, old one was a 2013).

ObeyTheCurls

I had two Marr Jags, a white one I used as my main guitar and a sherwood green that I've kept in its case since new.
Stupidly, I used my white one as a partial trade for a Non Reverse firebird as it's the only one the guy would take. Ive regretted it ever since. So I bought another one this week that's basically the same prove as I sold my old one for, with more things on it (Staytrem, spare guards etc) and it's mint, as opposed to my old ome which had major paint flaws which see,s to be the norm. I'm intrigued to see if Fender have fixed the problem on the newer models (mines a 2015, old one was a 2013).
Good to hear that you got another white one. I know what you mean about the paint. The first time I put it down in a stand, it got a chip. And it was a padded stand! lol

Kylef

@ObeyTheCurls i played one gig with it, took it out next morning to polish it and it had 5 chips out of the lower bout. I could have cried, as I baby all my guitars.

inveigle

The finish is the only fault I have with this guitar. I went to a show recently here in Portland and the the JM guitar that was there had almost no paint left on it (only a little near the neck pocket. I was floored. I spoke with the guy after the gig and he said that the guitar does not have one single nick or bump, the paint just started flaking off over the course of 9 months. On another note, I hear JM was getting flack from Fender for saying that he switched out the bridge. Now his PR people will only confirm that he uses the stock guitar. It is clear in his recent videos that he still uses the Staytrem bridge. IMHO, the whole finish, bridge issues are just Fender cutting corners. All that aside it is my favorite guitar next to my Stratocaster and the best Jaguar I have ever played and I own a 64'.

Phillip_H

I know that it's a signature, so it's about what Johnny Marr wants/uses, but I wish that it had a flatter radius. I can't handle 7.25" necks.

ObeyTheCurls

I know that it's a signature, so it's about what Johnny Marr wants/uses, but I wish that it had a flatter radius. I can't handle 7.25" necks.
Agreed. 9.5" or flatter would have been nice. I have a Telecaster Select with a compound 9.5" to 14" radius and it's glorious!

Trending Topics