NGD: Fender Mustang

DiAmoroso

My friend who works at Sam Ash let me know yesterday that a couple of used Mustangs hit the floor. I’m a big offset fan, so I went over to check them out. When I got there they had two, a daphne blue MIJ ‘65 RI (mislabeled as a ‘69 RI) and a Penny MIA Performer. I have owned a CIJ ‘69 RI and a ‘71 Fender Bronco in the past, so I basically new what I was looking for in a Mustang. I played the MIJ Mustang for a few minutes, then switched over to the MIA. Really was impressed, it’s a great playing guitar with literally zero signs that it’s ever been touched by the original owner. All the case candy was still unopened in the original packaging in the original gig bag. It was priced exactly the same as the MIJ, and stood out to me as clearly a better guitar from all angles, so I brought it home. Ran it through the paces jamming with a friend, and was even more impressed. I assume the original owner gave up on it not being able to keep it in tune, but that was pretty simple to sort out with a few adjustments to the vibrato. I had been wondering about these Performer Mustangs since they came out, wondered how it would stack up to the vintage and Japanese Mustangs, and I’m happy to find that this is probably the best playing and sounding Mustang I’ve come across yet.

749EBED2-D1F4-4E71-87E3-6FB3889BE4D1.jpeg 62AF331A-546F-4AC5-AF3B-7B5D0C82ADB1.jpeg

flume

Double Platinum Member
Want!!!! Yes I opted for the MIM Vintera Mustang but am still keen for a Performer in Penny! Clips please !

DiAmoroso

@flume I threw together some quick sound samples for you. I didn’t put a lot of thought into what I was playing here, excuse the sloppiness please!

I tried to get a few different tone styles in here for you. It’s not the most versatile guitar ever, but it sounds like what I expect out of a Mustang, minus the OOP option.

Trending Topics