NGD: Fender Special Edition Classic 60s Lacquer Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by duaneallen, Apr 28, 2015.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Just got this yesterday. I actually bought a Road Worn on Saturday that sounded really good in the shop, bu when I brought it home I noticed that it had some major tuning problems. That, and the fact that I really don't like relicing made me take it back. Tried this one out and I don't know why I didn't bring it home the first night! I've been wanting a vintage style strat for a while now, but didn't want to spend too much dough. This guitar is a GREAT bargain. I played it next to a '65 reissue, which I've been dreaming about for a while, and it totally held its own. I have no doubt that the USA one is probably built better, but I sure couldn't tell. This guitar is light, super resonant, and just plays great. With the nitro, it totally nails the vintage vibe and sound in every way. I'm definitely not used to the vintage radius and frets, but it really does play great despite that. The store gave me a free setup with purchase, and I mean a SET UP. The tech was very detailed, and even filed down a fret that was causing a little buzzing. The pickups are OK, nothing great, so I'll probably change those out. No big deal, I would have probably changed pickups no matter what I bought. If you are looking for a non-reliced vintage strat, but don't want to shell out the cash for the USA one, I would definitely recommend this one. Pro guitar in every way.

[​IMG]

stephax and cap47 like this.
  2. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I like it. Congratulations.

3. GuitarPlaynTaylor

GuitarPlaynTaylor Member

4. Flugel

Flugel Member

Beautiful, congrats.

5. daveaust

daveaust Member

Dude- that is stellar. I have same color mim classic player(I think that's what it's called) that's a 60s reissue. Out of all my guitars it is about the best resonant tone. Something about the wood. You picked the right one my man. I can attest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. duaneallen

It really is resonant! I played it side by side with the AV65 and it sounded the same; couldn't tell the difference. The '65 had a bigger neck, but that's about it. If you told me that this was a US made guitar, I'd totally believe you.

7. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

That's a beauty and something I'd be happy to own!

8. monty

monty Member

Very sweet, love the headstock.

9. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

A buddy bought the same model/color last month. He is an amazing player and has had many Strats (EJ,s John Mayer, many others).
    He said this feels/sounds as good as any he has had and totally loves it.

Wondering: Does the board have some unique, kinda wild grain?
    The shop he got his from had another in DB and 2 in Surf Green and the boards were very patterned in a good way.

10. duaneallen

I don't know about the boards on other ones. Mine has a nice dark board, and the green one at the shop was just as good as mine in every way. I just bought mine because of the color. It's interesting that your friend had an EJ strat . I wanted to get an EJ RW strat in this color, but just don't want to shell out that kind of cash right now. I wanted to give this one a shot first and see if I like it. I've never liked vintage frets and radius, but this seems to be pretty comfortable. I might refret it later on down the road with 6105s. I wonder if it will be a noticeable difference since the radius is still vintage.

11. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Congrats! :aok That's a lovely Strat in one of my favorite Fender colors.

12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

It's lurvely, it is.

13. duaneallen

Crap, I'm having second thoughts on this guitar. It's totally a killer guitar, but I'm not sure if I can get used to the vintage radius and frets. It sounds and looks so great that I thought that I could overlook the radius. Have to think about this....

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I don't get along with a 7.25" radius, either. Fender doesn't offer anything I'd want outside the Custom Shop. I basically want that guitar in 3TS with a 9.5" radius but nowhere in regular production do they offer one. A partscaster is my only option.

15. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Hope you can bond, it is really nice. Dark board too. I can go from my 14" radius Hamers to my 7.25" vintage spec Fenders and anything in between and can play them all equally badly.

16. manimal

manimal Member

Love it!! A little shop near me has one and I wannnnnt it!! Did it come with a case?

17. duaneallen

Yes, it comes with a tweed case.

18. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

If the guitar is great, spend $275 for a refret with 6105 wire. That will get you close enough. Looks killer.

19. duaneallen

You might be on to something. I'm turning into Sybil with this guitar! One minute I love it, the next I think of selling it because of the radius. Played it last night and love it again. Maybe I'll just refret it later.....

20. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I have a '69 Custom Shop Strat with 7.25" Radius, vintage fret wire (low wire). At times I think I need a flatter radius, but honestly I play it great.

I just played a KILLER '63 Fender Custom Shop Michael Landau Strat that has 7.25" radius but 6105 fret wire (medium jumbo) Wow! It makes a nice difference and plays a little easier than my other Strat with 7.25" Radius and vintage fret wire.