NGD! Finally got real Gibson!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rycher, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rycher

rycher Member

Well, after years of having LP copies, some good some not, I finally broke down and bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional. I've always said Gibson's were overpriced and I wouldn't pay that much for a guitar, but I guess deep down I always really wanted one and I have to say I'm not dissappointed. I won her off ebay and she arrived yesterday but it took me till today to get some pics. I love everything about this guitar. The 57 and 57+ pickups sound wonderful, lots of sustain, and the neck is fantastic, no dead spots or buzzing even with the action fairly low. Well enough gloting, here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, that's a nice one! Congrats. I remember that day. Sold that guitar since and it haunts my dreams.

3. 5E3

5E3 Member

Absolutely beautiful! Congrats! :AOK

I've been flamed for this (and will no doubt be flamed for saying it again), but many years ago I was looking for an inexpensive alternative to a Gibson Les Paul. Somebody replied to my thread and said "if you want a Gibson Les Paul, buy a Gibson Les Paul." So I went the inexpensive route and bought an LP Studio, but I love the guitar and it's the real thing :)

Someday I hope to own a really beautiful Gibson LP like yours. Enjoy! :BEER

4. rycher

rycher Member

Thanks, there is nothing wrong with a good copy, but I always wanted a Gibson LP and I've have probably spent enough money modifying other guitars that I could have already had a couple of Gibbys. The closest I ever got, and I must say it was VERY close, was an Edwards E-LP-90 I had and sold about a year ago. I'v got a couple of Epi's right now that I've "hot rodded", they have been very good in their own right, but I could have saved myself alot of time by just buying the Gibson years ago when that is what I really wanted. The specs on the new Traditionals is what really won me over though. I'm not knocking any "copies" by any means, I'm just stoked I finally got a guitar that I'm thrilled with instead of it being more like "yeah, it's pretty good".

5. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

That's the best looking traditional I've seen yet. You got super lucky with that awesome top. Congratulations on a beautiful guitar!

6. CopperTop

CopperTop Member

Very nice...once you get the "real deal" you understand what the hoopla is about. I had a couple Epi LP's, nice guitars but once I got my Gibby---well you know now :)Enjoy!!!

7. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

That's extremely nice looking. Congrats!

8. bobbypols

bobbypols Member

Great stuff, damn seductive les pauls...

9. bynt

bynt Member

Beautiful!!! Congrats!!!

10. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Looks great! I know what you mean about wanting a real Gibson I still feel like that (well, technically I don't have to want--I have a 1954 ES-150 I've had since the 70's but it's not a guitar I'm much into), but I'd love to get a real Les Paul (lightweight please :)), or a recent Howard Roberts Fusion III, or an ES-359, or...... :crazy

I like the finish--Desert Burst?

11. guitaraddict

guitaraddict Supporting Member

:dudeNice, killer top! Congrats.

12. masayako

masayako Member

Congrats!!! Life's too short to play copies. You gonna live once. LP & Strat.:dude

13. Jura

Jura Member

Very lovely! Congrats!

14. rycher

rycher Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is actually the iced tea. I've seen quite a bit of variance on this finish. Some of them I've seen looked closer to a heritage cherry while other, like this one, appear almost like a faded tobacco. I originally wanted the desert burst, but didn't really like the dark back on that finish, so when I saw this top, I thought it was a good compromise. Now that I've got it, it doesn't feel like a "compromise" at all.

15. prometheus

prometheus Member

GORGEOUS! Congrats on such an amazing instrument!

Doesn't help my GAS though...

16. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

That's a great looking lester, congrats!

17. 73171

73171 Member

Looks like you got a great one!

:AOK

18. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Very nice.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  19. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

:BEER Friggin' gorgeous!!!!!

20. whitehall

whitehall Member

Congratulations and welcome to the club. From this day forth you will know what the real thing is and the longer you own them--and yes there will be more-- the more you will know. And like the rest of us, when you read all the copy posts and the haters you will just laugh to yourself and think, - " Whatever". Lovely top on that one BTW.