NGD: Found a stupendous deal I couldn't pass up

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't bought a new guitar in quite a long time but I had been watching out for certain guitars on a lot of different sites/stores. One of them was the TV Jones Spectra Sonic. I had come to the realization that although I loved them, the SS Supreme was out of my price range, so I was looking at some used SS Standards (in the $1500/$1750 USD range).

Then it happened. Last Saturday night I returned from a trip to visit family in New Hampshire when I checked the Guitar Center Used page. I figured I'd check for a few of my favorite search terms, including Gretsch, Atkins, & TV Jones. There is was...a red TV Jones Spectra Sonic Supreme for such a good deal that I figured it had to be a mistake. I called the store (the Hollywood, CA Guitar Center) and sure enough, it wasn't AND they still had it available. I bought it immediately and started the waiting game of shipping.

As it had to travel from LA to Maine, it took a week but it arrived this afternoon. After letting it warm up in the box for 4 hrs, I opened it and took this quick shot. It's even better than I had hoped! The original GC photos showed no flame on the top but it turns out they were just bad pics!

I won't play it until tomorrow but I wanted to share my latest addition!

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
Based on vibe and looks alone I would not be able to resist if I had the $. A dream guitar of mine since they came out...the red is just bonus...I'd buy any color.

Congrats!

Yeah, GC's used section has some pretty smokin deals from time to time. I've gotten in the habit of checking their inventory every few weeks.

Enjoy it, man! Looks great!

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats!

Yeah, GC's used section has some pretty smokin deals from time to time. I've gotten in the habit of checking their inventory every few weeks.

Enjoy it, man! Looks great!
Yeah I've got a few flat out crazy deals by checking that site. I've missed on ton where I was beaten to the punch. Sometimes the stupidity of the average GC employee can work to your advantage.

Digidog

That looks great! Congrats to a new guitar, and I'm quite curious about how these TV-J-guitars are and what they sound like. Please post sound clips.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Congrats! I had my eye on the c-melody baritone versions for a while, very intriguing Gretsches for sure!

dansworld

Absolutely awesome! I've wanted one so bad, congrat's on you're great luck finding this special instrument! You're right, that red flame is gorgeous!

I HATE that hours long acclimatization wait; it's agony, I tell ya'!!!

deejaid

Silver Supporting Member
Didn't know TV Jones made guitars, but that is beautiful. Love the shape. Congrats on a great find!

LaXu

That is really nice. Never seen one before. That is overall a really tasteful design. Hopefully it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
Nice, but why "won't play it until tomorrow?" I'm stumped on that one.

Simply because the kids were about to go to bed. Small houses with young kids sometimes means I have to wait until the next day to try out newly delivered gear.

As for the design, for those unfamiliar with it, Tom Vincent Jones originally designed it for Gretsch and they made the SpectraSonic and SpectraSonic Melody C Baritone. After Gretsch stopped production, TV started it back up again under his own name. I'll post more pics later today!

RussB

low rent hobbyist
I had never heard of those guitars before. That is one cool guitar! Congrats :dude

Bazaboy33

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice. And the Bigsby B-12 looks great. I was thinking of putting one on my black ES-135. After seeing yours, I will be doing it for sure. Enjoy!!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom