• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD: Gibson 2011 Historic reissue R9 Les Paul

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
So I'm a bit late on my NGD. But a couple of weeks ago I picked up this R9. 8.2 lbs. BB1's and 2's. I have to say it is absolutely THE best les paul I have ever played. I've had a few: 1981 les paul standard (dug it but butt ugly clownburst and 3 piece body), a 2006 57 reissue (sounded good but HUGE neck) and a 2000 57 reissue (great tone..neck smaller than 2006 but still a bit big). Everything on this guitar just feels good. the lighter weight is great. I love the smaller neck. Its not huge like the 57's and R8's Iv'e played. Its "just right".

I have 2 sets of Sheptones at home that I want to try in the guitar. But I will say that the BB's that are in here already sound very good and I would be happy to keep them in. But...a tinkerer has to tinker.

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
Very nice. Congrats.

Despite the general consensus on TGP Burstbuckers are actually pretty good pickups. I still dig 'em in my R0 after five years, but I'll concede that they may not work for everyone. You may find yourself putting them back in if you change 'em, but every guitar is different so YMMV etc.

RSRD

That's a beauty Kingsx. Congrats!

Im a lover of all historics and after tinkering with a few I found that new caps/pots make a substantial difference in these guitars if you use the volume and tone knobs at all. After that a pair of sheptones or wolfetones will do you right. Burstbuckers are good pickups but wolfe and sheps, etc...are excellent and there is a difference in clarity and punch to my ears.

Enjoy the R9!

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Congrats on the gorgeous LP! And, 8.2lbs no less!

The Sheptones are worth the effort, IMO...

Awesome. Good luck with her!

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
That's a beauty Kingsx. Congrats!

Im a lover of all historics and after tinkering with a few I found that new caps/pots make a substantial difference in these guitars if you use the volume and tone knobs at all. After that a pair of sheptones or wolfetones will do you right. Burstbuckers are good pickups but wolfe and sheps, etc...are excellent and there is a difference in clarity and punch to my ears.

Enjoy the R9!
Agreed on the pots/caps. However, my understanding is that in 2009 they made some changes to the historic lines: CTS pots for one. I usually pick up RS super pots for my guitars. I need to look around to see if I have a set and try them. I know the bumblebee's that are in here are not "real". (Supposedly they are some cheap things that Gibson just paints). So yes, the caps will be swapped also here shortly.

Bhodie

Did you have it? I got it from a buddy: stubbyJ (Jeremy). I know he bought it from someone locally. I am amazed he let it go.
I did not own it.. but saw and played it at a shop it was bought from originally... recognized the label on the case...

Liquid_Mojo

Silver Supporting Member
Yup. That's Faded Tobacco. Brockburst has more orange and red in the color.

Either way, nice guitar. Congrats!

Patrick2

Yeah . . . some people call it faded tobacco, some call it dark burst . . . but, what I call it, when I see a guitar like that is . . . Duanne Allman!!!

Congrats on your NGD. That '09 R9 is a stunner!! I've got one too and I love it. Perfect neck profile. Regarding tinkering, here's how I avoid it. I listen with my ears and not my eyes. It seems that some would pull out a set of pups to see what they are, before even playing the guitar for a few weeks to see what it is they like or dislike about the tone. I've also got a 2002 R9 that I bought new from Wildwood Guitars. The tone always seemed . . OK, but a bit chokde out. I had an RS upgrade kit installed and now it's great. The '09 R9 has never been opened . . because I love its tone as is. I'll post a picture of my '09 R9 . . not to steal any thunder from your thread or deflect the joy or your NGD. But, to show you a comparison of colors. Mine too is a dark burst . . but, it also has some of the characteristics of the Brock Burst or Bourbon Burst.

Totally Bored

Sweet :dude

I never changed the pots, caps or pickups in my 2011 R8 ( and I'm a major tinkerer ) cause she sounded perfect but I couldn't live with the thick neck so she had to go :bonk

Trending Topics