NGD - Gibson 2014 LP R4 BoTB page 93 color match

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mickey_C, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer

I bought a LPR4, but had some problems and sent it back. They offered a replacement guitar, at a minor upcharge as it is brand new, and I went for it. This is one killer guitar. The first guitar was a color match to Beauty of the Burst (BoTB) page 49, this is a color match to page 93, the "stanley burst", which is also shown on the cover of BoTB, though the color on the cover is off. I can tell you in person this guitar looks amazing.

The neck measures 9.2 at the first and goes up to 1.09 at the 12th. It has a little more shoulders than the first one, but it feels good. It's ridiculously easy to play, I will probably put 11s on it, it's just a bit too slinky right now. Frets are perfect btw, don't even need polishing. I was able to put the action right to where I want it without issue. It could go lower, but I don't want buzzes... but it's not much more than a mm on the bass, and half that on treble.

Another interesting thing is how red the fretboard is. Tylor at Dave's Guitar told me that they picked out the wood at Gibson Custom Shop when they placed the order - they were there and did it in person. So this just has some really nice Indian Rosewood.

Therefore, I have already named her, "Rosie".

Loving the P90s through my Mesa Heartbreaker - fantastic tone combo. The other guitar had lollars that were so tall I couldn't lower the action, but even still I can tell I like the slightly hotter Gibson P90s in this one.

I don't have a sitar tone, but I am feeling the string bends on my hand, so I will have to do something. I'll see if there's a pigtail bridge that improves that, maybe the wider intonating one.

The other thing - I want some aged P90 covers and pickguard, the new looking plastic is a bit much for me.

But otherwise... It's all love!

The big question of the day is:

PICKGUARD OR NO PICKGUARD?

See the pics...

2. DanielHillshafer

DanielHillshafer Member

No pickguard IMHO. I like my ladies naked.
    That's a ridiculously gorgeous top BTW...

Frankee likes this.
  3. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Definately pickguard on. The way it was meant to be

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    flume likes this.
  4. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

Nice! I say pickguard. To me, it's part of a Les Paul

5. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

No pickguard.
    She's lovely.

6. dougb415

dougb415 Member

7. gdane4

gdane4 Supporting Member

I normally love pickguards on les pauls, but even I wouldn't cover that top! NO pick guard!!

edited to add: I guess if you're going to play it out live a lot and risk scratching up that beautiful top, then maybe the pickguard. If you're just playing with friends/around the house/recording. no pickguard.

8. Mickey_C

I am buying the full set of mojoaxe aged plastics for it, so I will have the aged covers, hockey puck, and pickguard.

9. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Damn. No pickguard on that.

10. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

11. GibSG

GibSG Member

Beauty '54 RI

12. MarcJ

MarcJ Member

Man, I love that guitar. I'd put a pickguard on it

13. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

don't cover that beauty with a guard!:)

14. Mickey_C

After mulling it over... I've decided to go WITH the guard. But I am not using the stock shiny one, I ordered a set of Mojoaxe plastic that I'll be putting on there.

Thanks for all the kind words!

My honeymoon with the bridge on the thing ended abruptly last night. It definitely has some rattle, and looking at it, Gibson did not clearly mold (or machine, however they make it) a clear ridge on the top for the strings to break over.

:(

Time for a pigtail!