NGD: Gibson Custom Shop 58 Mahogany Explorer

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
I just pulled the trigger on a 2015 Explorer from the custom shop, heritage cherry red, 8Lbs 11 Oz weight, custom wound custom bucket pups, mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard, ABR-1 Bridge stopbar tail piece, 1.68 inch nut width, 24.75 inch scale length, gold hardware.

It will ship soon, so don't quite have it and will post pics when it arrives.
This axe sat in their shop for a couple years and I had been looking all over for a custom shop explorer, so found one at a relatively good price I think.
Own a Gibson Flying V and a Gibson Fire bird III, so this is in good company.
Will post pics later this month.

Let's hear your thoughts on these Gibson pointed guitars, you own or was an owner previously?

EADGBE

I like Explorers. It's hard to go wrong with all of that mahogany and rosewood.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Killer choice! Is it a benchmark?
Not sure about benchmark, but the specs and custom shop and 58 makes it very cool, I found its hard to locate great explorers, they don't sell very well and so are not really stocked up in stores, I was searching all over and stumbled on this one.

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure about benchmark, but the specs and custom shop and 58 makes it very cool, I found its hard to locate great explorers, they don't sell very well and so are not really stocked up in stores, I was searching all over and stumbled on this one.
Based on the 58 specs.... my guess is it may be a Benchmark Explorer. They are well worth the money, IMHO. I bought one earlier this year and it's a great guitar.... big neck.... beefy, classic tone. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-58-benchmark-explorer.1673271/#post-21439713 ;) Congrats!!

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
I had a '76 with a big beefy neck (my first big necked guitar) and I sure miss it.

I'll be looking for pics when you get yours- congrats!

DiPa

Constant GAS
Returned the 2015 Explorer heritage cherry for a Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Figured Explorer Standard Benchmark Limited Run.
Washed Cherry Sunburst, Glossy finish, Figured Maple top, Mahogany body, Bound Rosewood fingerboard on a .840″ at the first fret to 1.010″ at the 12th fret custom shaped Mahogany neck, Custom wound Custom Bucker pickups, 7.6 pounds, With hardshell case. This thing is amazing. The neck profile is awesome and very playable.
Clmazza- you are absolutely right, the benchmark is it. I had been hanging out at Amps and Cabs site for quite some time, and am happy to return to Guitars, there is a lot to share and catch up.

My new Explorer joins my Flying V and Firebird III.
Gibson has been ahead of the times, imagine in 1958 the Explorer was developed, hardly any Rock or Metal around.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
Nice family pic! All bigass guitars with even bigger cases... I have an '06 Gibson V that I retro'd (everything attached, including elex, pups, Vibrola, ABR-1, knobs, tuners) are vintage & authentic Gibson parts and correct for the era (13767nn pot codes, Kluson not Gibson stamp on tuner cases, etc). Exceptions being screws & pickguard & TRC. I just painted it the same color as your F'bird. When I stand the V case next to the LP case, there's bout 4" difference in height.

You must have a big car to haul those three around at once!

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
Right on! Incredible guitar..... You have yourself a fine Explorer. Congrats on a beauty!

DiPa

Constant GAS
Nice family pic! All bigass guitars with even bigger cases... I have an '06 Gibson V that I retro'd (everything attached, including elex, pups, Vibrola, ABR-1, knobs, tuners) are vintage & authentic Gibson parts and correct for the era (13767nn pot codes, Kluson not Gibson stamp on tuner cases, etc). Exceptions being screws & pickguard & TRC. I just painted it the same color as your F'bird. When I stand the V case next to the LP case, there's bout 4" difference in height.

You must have a big car to haul those three around at once!
Yep I have a guitar truck :)

Trending Topics