NGD: Gibson ES125

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by tjbrokaw4, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:31 PM.

1. tjbrokaw4

tjbrokaw4 Member

An old Gibson es 125 was given to me today by a family member who had had it sitting around the house for years and was making space. Not sure what year it is. The SN is 2052. 1952 I guess? The strings look like they haven't been changed in a decade or more and the guitar is in dire need of a cleaning. However the neck is straight, has no visible cracks, and it feels great. I plugged it in and nothing, not even a hum. Could be a number of things but am hoping it is not the pickup.
    I own and have owned many guitars over the years but never anything vintage and am not very knowledgeable with es type guitars. I am very excited about this one and appreciate any insight you all have!

DBBlues, martyncrew and asintoras like this.
  2. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

Congrats!

Are you sure that's not a Factory Order Number? Where was it on the guitar? Some pics would help, especially of the number.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:33 AM
    DBBlues likes this.
  3. kushman

kushman Member

how cool is that !! those can be really sweet guitars, I always wanted one. P90 sweetness

we need Pic's Man

4. 56Tweed

56Tweed Member

I don't believe there were any serial numbers back then. Mine even pre-dates the Factory Order Numbers, but we were able to determine it was a '49. When I first bought mine years ago I was disappointed that it didn't seem to be working and I worried about the pickup, but it was just a bad solder joint. If you take it to a qualified tech they can definitely give it a good check up. If it has been sitting for awhile it will likely benefit from a solid setup, and its a bit different with that bridge.

DBBlues likes this.
  5. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels

Gibson used serials from the beginning of the company in 1902, and FONs at least as far back as 1908, though the odd instrument does show up without markings. OP's number is a serial that dates to 1961.

DBBlues and 56Tweed like this.
  6. tjbrokaw4

tjbrokaw4 Member

Thanks for the info regarding the SN! I am having a heck of a time getting pics to load. I will mess with loading pics some more tomorrow. I cleaned it up today. The fretboard was caked with all kinds of gunk and the frets were a mess. Once I got that done, I put some new strings on and the neck feels awesome. I didn't take the pots out but looked at them with a flashlight and it appears a mouse built a nest in the guitar. I did unscrew the pup and it looked corroded but intact. I am going to take it to the local tech I always go to to set it up and get the electronics going.
    Acoustically it is a blast to play, can't wait to hear it plugged in

DBBlues and kushman like this.
  7. 56Tweed

56Tweed Member

Thanks. I was having trouble finding my old source for dating info on these. From some reason, I recalled a period of these were FON stickers weren't applied. Like all things Gibson, they don't always make it easy on you.

DBBlues likes this.
  8. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

This is my '51 ES125. I've owned it for 30 years and, like yours, it came to me as a basketcase. It's been worth every dollar and moment of time I've invested in it over the years. I've played it in big band / jump / blues / jazz standards bands over the years and always enjoyed its wonderful neck and P90 goodness. I hope yours brings you the same pleasure mine has brought me. Enjoy!

Bluzeboy, DBBlues, asintoras and 2 others like this.
  9. martyncrew

The serial number on my '51 is ink-stamped in the upper bout of guitar. It's faded but is still visible thru the upper f-hole. No label.

DBBlues likes this.
  10. tjbrokaw4

tjbrokaw4 Member

That is beautiful! I am trying to find the amp that went to this as well. I am am hoping there is a old dirty tweed fender in a closet in the house!

DBBlues likes this.
  11. tjbrokaw4

tjbrokaw4 Member

After cleaning it up. The ink stamp SN on the back of the headstock says 205249. I could not find any numbers in the f holes other ham the ink stamp es125.

DBBlues likes this.
  12. tjbrokaw4

tjbrokaw4 Member

Also, regarding the date, I am told by the family member that gave me this it was purchased in the 50s and that their grandpa played it every Saturday night in a country band for years. Cool story behind it. Lastly, the case i believe is the original case bought with the guitar but not a Gibson case. Does anyone have any recommendations for a case for this guitar?

DBBlues likes this.
  13. martyncrew

This is what I bought - TKL ES175 case - it's a very snug fit.

DBBlues likes this.
  14. tjbrokaw4

tjbrokaw4 Member

Thanks! I was looking at that yesterday and wasn't sure.

DBBlues likes this.
  15. tjbrokaw4

tjbrokaw4 Member

So. For some reason it works today. All I did was clean things up a little. I still haven't gotten the nest out. Haha. I am amazed at the taper of the pots and what the p90 can do. I have never played a vintage p90 and am just amazed.

e??? and DBBlues like this.
  16. asintoras

asintoras Member

This is mine... It's been modified by my dad in the 60's, but still has it's own amp since they left together the Kalamazoo factory:

e???, DBBlues and martyncrew like this.
  17. tjbrokaw4

tjbrokaw4 Member

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Was the bridge pup added later?

DBBlues likes this.
  18. telephone

telephone Supporting Member

Why no pics yet?

Here's my '60 TCD

[​IMG]

e???, erksin and DBBlues like this.
  19. Steve Z

Steve Z Member

SWEET! I think I like the looks of the ES-125c model better ES-175. Pretty much the same guitar but I dig the minimal neck with no binding and only the dots.

telephone and DBBlues like this.