NGD: Gibson J-45

DiAmoroso

Just arrived via FedEx to my office, so I don't really get to play it until later this evening, but tuned it up real quick and it feels and sounds just as I expected it to so far. I played a bunch of Martins, Taylors, Guilds, etc before finding that the J-45 was just right for me. For my taste, the J-45 sound is just right, while a lot of others were too bright or too dark. I also think I like the 12" radius over the more common flatter ones.

Now, I've been mostly an electric player for years, so I don't have a lot of experience with what strings are going be best for me, etc, and am totally open to any suggestions you guys may have.

Otto Guyon

Nice one mate. I actually just sold my J-45 (Im a Martin OM guy). Mine liked plain old D'addario EJ-16s. I play mostly finger style though, but the EJs are a good place to start.

Cheers, Otto.

DanR

In my first reply, I totally missed the string recommendation. I have been experimenting with strings on my J-45 and my favorite so far is Martin Monel Retro in the Tony Rice gauge.

radicool

Nice! I have one in the same burst, so naturally I think yours looks great. :) My pick guard is white, however.
Enjoy and congrats!
Oh yeah, forgot to say: I also use EJ-16s on it.

Tony Done

The J-45 is my favourite design, and based on the ones I've tried, I would learn to love medium, 13-56, strings. I have been using John Pearse phos bronze for decades, but the equivalent D'Addarios are good, and Ernie Ball Aluminium Bronze are bright and aggressive.

DiAmoroso

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll probably be trying at least a few of these out. What do you guys think of balanced tension strings?

Lwilliams

Silver Supporting Member
Nice! J-45, the workingman's guitar!

Mine is a1967 bought new by my dad in...1967.

You have to love that Gibson tone....softer, but sweeter.

Trending Topics