NGD Gibson Les Paul Classic "Lite"

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
Nice! Is that guitar fro 2015? I know they built the "Less Paul" around that time...
This is a brand new model from 2018/2019. It's a limited run model and I've only seen it available at Zzounds and AMS.

I will also add the the build quality is really nice. Can't find any flaws anywhere.

Rhythm Rocker

This is a brand new model from 2018/2019. It's a limited run model and I've only seen it available at Zzounds and AMS.

I will also add the the build quality is really nice. Can't find any flaws anywhere.
They really have done a great job on the LP Classics. My '17 LP Classic GT is real nice
as are the '18 LP Classics I've played. Yours is a real looker. :)

Drew816

It has a regular 1-11/16" nut width. It is advertised as having a slim taper neck but it's not as thin as my 06 Classic or my 86 SG62. It's a great feeling neck.
I'll beat it's the slim to fatter profile, not the 60's slim but it starts that way and grows to almost the 50's size at the 12th. If it were a true 60's Slim I would start grinding my teeth, if it were that and had P-90s I would be out knocking over liquor stores...

I so wanted a Custom Lite, the neck just doesn't work for me but I still want one.

Cool axe, enjoy!

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
I'll beat it's the slim to fatter profile, not the 60's slim but it starts that way and grows to almost the 50's size at the 12th. If it were a true 60's Slim I would start grinding my teeth, if it were that and had P-90s I would be out knocking over liquor stores...

I so wanted a Custom Lite, the neck just doesn't work for me but I still want one.

Cool axe, enjoy!
Fortunately the neck does not get larger as it gets closer to the body. I hate necks that do that. This one pretty much keeps the same thickness all the way up.
It is what I would consider a "modern" slim taper. Just a hair thick than my other slim taper Gibson necks. It's really comfortable.

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member

Cool axe, enjoy!
Fortunately the neck does not get larger as it gets closer to the body. I hate necks that do that. This one pretty much keeps the same thickness all the way up.
It is what I would consider a "modern" slim taper. Just a hair thick than my other slim taper Gibson necks. It's really comfortable.
OK, back with an update on the neck.
It feels the exact same as my 06 Classic. It's definitely a slim taper neck. It felt a little larger because I've been gigging my Carvin the past couple of months and it has a crazy slim neck. I haven't touched my 06 Classic in a while.
This one has a true Gibson 60s slim neck.

Also got to A/B tone test my 06 and the new Classic Lite. My 06 has Dimarzio 36th anniversaries. They sound really good but man, the 57 Classics definitely have more of that vintage Gibson tone.
Nice to have options.

http://greentreeexpress.com/images/Git/LPC/LPCWD1.jpg

Drew816

Arrghhh, damn you!!!! ;)

Thanks for the update and enjoy! I'll be curious to see if more of these pop up in Gibson's offerings...

Not really a brand new model...Gibson has done small runs of variants with the Lite body almost every year since 2012. My guess is that the runs have been done primarily to get a lower priced (less to charge VAT on) Les Paul into the EU (for Thommann primarily). I'm a big fan of the ergonomics and sound of this model as well and currently own a 2015 Less+, a 2015 Les Paul CM, and an ESP Eclipse II.

@HoboMan - Can you tell how many pieces the body is on yours?

Last edited:
Nice! Is that guitar fro 2015? I know they built the "Less Paul" around that time...
FWIW -The Less+ had the rounded profile wide 2015 neck, brass nut, and two volume, one tone, and a coil tap (both pickups at the same time) switch. Also had the Tronical robot tuners. Same pickup set, uncovered black bobbins (the zebra set looks much better in these guitars).

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
Not really a brand new model...Gibson has done small runs of variants with the Lite body almost every year since 2012. My guess is that the runs have been done primarily to get a lower priced (less to charge VAT on) Les Paul into the EU (for Thommann primarily). I'm a big fan of the ergonomics and sound of this model as wel and currently own a 2015 Less+, a 2015 Les Paul CM, and an ESP Eclipse II.

@HoboMan - Can you tell how many pieces the body is on yours?
I used to have one of the Les Paul Custom Lites when they came out a few years ago. Great guitar but I didn't care for the fat neck.
This Classic Lite has the 60s slim taper neck and I love it.
And yes, the ergonomics are perfect for me.

I believe mine is a two piece body.

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
Back with a gig report.

Finally got to gig the guitar last night. I was subbing for my friends band. They are a Classic Rock/Country band. We also had a sub on drums that two of us met for the first time at the gig. I mention this because the regular drummer uses plexi-glass drum shields and this guy didn't. He was really good and a hard hitter so I got to turn up louder than I normally would.

The guitar sounded fanfriggintastic and was so much fun to play. Much more comfortable than my other LP Classic with a regular width body.
Really fat tone but still very "crisp". Lots of sustain. After a couple of songs I even turned gain down on my amp from my normal setting. Amp is an EVH 5150 III that is usually considered a metal amp but it's one of the most versatile amps I've ever played. This guitar just really kicked some major butt.

No videos or band pics but here's a pic of the band setup before we started playing.

;lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllq'/..............................................................................

Muse-ic

Supporting Member
I know I'm late to the party here - but, does the Lite have an ABR-1 or Nashville bridge? Thanks....

ucnick

Supporting Member
Just pulled the trigger on an ebony version from ZZounds. The other guitarist in my blues band has the honeyburst version and I really liked the way it felt and played, as well as the weight and tones, and I have been GASsing for a black LP, plus got a nice discount so I now have a NGD (hopefully) this coming Saturday according to Zzounds, I have a gig on Sunday afternoon with my covers band so I'll use it for that. If it actually arrives on time.:D

FWIW, I also have a goldtop 2015 Les Paul Less+ P-90 and love it, the Tronical (or G-Force r whatever) tuners really come in handy when I need to do a quick tuning change, I play slide in open D, E, and on occasion G, and the Tronical tuners work really well for changing on stage, much quicker than by hand (although open E is pretty quick by hand, just sayin'). The guitar is thin and light (around 7 or 8 lbs), and the neck is not too thin, just right. I did swap out the stock P-90s for a set of Kinman HX noiseless P-90s. They sound great and much lower noise floor than the stock P-90s.

Muse-ic

Supporting Member
That's great! I have a honeyburst one and I love it. I want a black one too - did you get a discount by calling them? :)

ucnick

Supporting Member
That's great! I have a honeyburst one and I love it. I want a black one too - did you get a discount by calling them? :)
Yep. Talked to Jordan. I've bought a fairish amount of gear from them over the years and they figured out who I was pretty quick. They won't do discounts via chat, phone only.