NGD Gibson Les Paul Classic "Lite"

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
Timely bump, I just made my final payment using their 18 month no interest payment plan
Just pulled the trigger on an ebony version from ZZounds. The other guitarist in my blues band has the honeyburst version and I really liked the way it felt and played, as well as the weight and tones, and I have been GASsing for a black LP, plus got a nice discount so I now have a NGD (hopefully) this coming Saturday according to Zzounds, I have a gig on Sunday afternoon with my covers band so I'll use it for that. If it actually arrives on time.:D

FWIW, I also have a goldtop 2015 Les Paul Less+ P-90 and love it, the Tronical (or G-Force r whatever) tuners really come in handy when I need to do a quick tuning change, I play slide in open D, E, and on occasion G, and the Tronical tuners work really well for changing on stage, much quicker than by hand (although open E is pretty quick by hand, just sayin'). The guitar is thin and light (around 7 or 8 lbs), and the neck is not too thin, just right. I did swap out the stock P-90s for a set of Kinman HX noiseless P-90s. They sound great and much lower noise floor than the stock P-90s.
Congrats! Post some pics when you get it.

This is a timely bump, I just made my final payment using their 18 month no interest payment plan.

I'm still loving this guitar but I'm loving it a lot more lately. I just had it refretted with jumbo stainless steel frets and a new bone nut installed. Yes, I had a fairly new guitar refretted. I'm a huge fan of these frets. I have a local Luthier that does fantastic refrets and he saw a guitar I had listed for sale on Facebook. He asked if I would be interested in trading for a fret job so I jumped at the opportunity to have this one refretted.
When he messaged me to say it's ready this was his exact quote: "It's like roller skating on ball bearings on melted butter on glass". :)

Mine came with the circuit board pickup wiring but no push/pull pots. I just bought a replacement circuit board with 4 push pull pots. Plan on installing it this weekend.

Pics of the new frets and nut.

ucnick

Supporting Member
Timely bump, I just made my final payment using their 18 month no interest payment plan

Congrats! Post some pics when you get it.

This is a timely bump, I just made my final payment using their 18 month no interest payment plan.

I'm still loving this guitar but I'm loving it a lot more lately. I just had it refretted with jumbo stainless steel frets and a new bone nut installed. Yes, I had a fairly new guitar refretted. I'm a huge fan of these frets. I have a local Luthier that does fantastic refrets and he saw a guitar I had listed for sale on Facebook. He asked if I would be interested in trading for a fret job so I jumped at the opportunity to have this one refretted.
When he messaged me to say it's ready this was his exact quote: "It's like roller skating on ball bearings on melted butter on glass". :)

Mine came with the circuit board pickup wiring but no push/pull pots. I just bought a replacement circuit board with 4 push pull pots. Plan on installing it this weekend.

Pics of the new frets and nut.

Interesting idea. We'll see.

I bought it from Zzounds and they said 2 day delivery so I was expecting it 9/5. Just checked the tracking, it said 9/14!!! Holy cow!! I can see a few days late, but over a week to deliver? I am a bit disappointed, not to mention the guitar is going to be getting banged about quite a bit and probably just sitting for no good reason for extended periods of time. I am not happy with this. I have contacted them but I may refuse the delivery and see if I can get it elsewhere more quickly so it doesn't travel so long, like AMS. I realize there is a hurricane, but that should not affect a shipment from NJ to CA, I would think.

I bought it from Zzounds and they said 2 day delivery so I was expecting it 9/5. Just checked the tracking, it said 9/14!!! Holy cow!! I can see a few days late, but over a week to deliver? I am a bit disappointed, not to mention the guitar is going to be getting banged about quite a bit and probably just sitting for no good reason for extended periods of time. I am not happy with this. I have contacted them but I may refuse the delivery and see if I can get it elsewhere more quickly so it doesn't travel so long, like AMS. I realize there is a hurricane, but that should not affect a shipment from NJ to CA, I would think.
If it makes you feel any better, I recently bought a guitar online at Guitar Center. GC said three days to go from KS to CA, but UPS ended up taking a week.

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
i got them to do 1700 shipping, tempting but that stupid slim taper neck kills it for me
The slim taper neck is why I bought this model. I had one of the Custom Lites and while it was a great guitar the fat neck made me get rid of it.
As soon as I saw the Classic Lite with a slim taper neck I bought one.

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member

That sucks. Would be OK if you were told ahead of time but when you're expecting 2-day delivery on a guitar you want it in two days.
Hope things work out.

ucnick

Supporting Member
Thanks for the sympathy!

This is the email response they finally sent yesterday:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email. There is a banner on the site regarding free 2 day shipping on most orders, however your order did not qualify for this. You would have seen in the cart that your order was shipping on our standard ground shipping option. These orders typically deliver in around 5 business days. With the holiday and the weekends your order is currently expected to be delivered in 6 business days. Unfortunately due to the current global pandemic, carrier delays are fairly common. "

It clearly said 2 day on the web page and if I ordered within 4 hrs or whatever it would arrive Sat Sept 5th. I should have taken a screenshot. :mad:Anyway, so now I hopefully expect it by this Friday, or maybe Saturday. I am a little annoyed at them on this, the sales rep said "maybe" and sort of chuckled when I had asked about arriving in 2 days. Here's hoping! :cool:

Buckeyedog

Dang, I should not have opened this thread!! This seems like a killer LP. Oh and Hoboman, I agree on the EVH. I have one as well and it just rocks.

C-4

Ahh! I see where these are for sale again. I was seriously looking at these last year.

Congratulations to those of you who bought one.

I wound up just last week buying a Godin Prototype Summit Classic weighing 7 lb., 12 ozs. as an alternative. It is my first Godin and is an absolutely terrific guitar all around.

silot

I’m currently having two 2015 less + on my Reverb watching list as I find the concept really attractive so this thread is exactly what I needed !
@HoboMan can I ask if you find any tonal difference between your full-bodied Classic and this one, on the neck pickup with a clean setting ?

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
I’m currently having two 2015 less + on my Reverb watching list as I find the concept really attractive so this thread is exactly what I needed !
@HoboMan can I ask if you find any tonal difference between your full-bodied Classic and this one, on the neck pickup with a clean setting ?
Keep in mind that the 2015 models will probably have the very wide nut width and the brass nut. If it wasn't for the nut width I would seriously consider one of those.

I'll have to try them both out back to back on a clean setting and report back. I have 4 Les Pauls and they all sound different. I know that the regular classic definitely sounds different from the Lite on the bridge PU but I think a big part is due to the pickups. I have Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries in my regular classic and this Classic Lite has a 57+ at the bridge and a 57 at the neck. The 57+ is a bright PU. I didn't care for them in my SG but they sound good in the LP Lite.

JamesW

Wow. I was wondering who "lazarus-ed" an older thread. But really, thanks for sharing. It's a beautiful guitar.

I have a Tokai Love Rock and got it refretted with jumbo stainless steel frets as well. It plays fantastic now. The only problem with it is that it is unchambered and is ridiculously heavy. I think this is a concept that Gibson should continue to market. Classic look with a not-so classic weight.

ucnick

Supporting Member
Thanks for the sympathy!

This is the email response they finally sent yesterday:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email. There is a banner on the site regarding free 2 day shipping on most orders, however your order did not qualify for this. You would have seen in the cart that your order was shipping on our standard ground shipping option. These orders typically deliver in around 5 business days. With the holiday and the weekends your order is currently expected to be delivered in 6 business days. Unfortunately due to the current global pandemic, carrier delays are fairly common. "

It clearly said 2 day on the web page and if I ordered within 4 hrs or whatever it would arrive Sat Sept 5th. I should have taken a screenshot. :mad:Anyway, so now I hopefully expect it by this Friday, or maybe Saturday. I am a little annoyed at them on this, the sales rep said "maybe" and sort of chuckled when I had asked about arriving in 2 days. Here's hoping! :cool:
UPDATE:Supposedly out for delivery at 4:30 am today, we'll see if it makes it...:waiting
UPDATE UPDATE: Finally arrived, looked great, no cosmetic issues outside of a pretty dry fretboard. Did a string change to my usual La Bella 10-46 set, quick truss rod & action adjust, played and sounded great. Really light and love the neck profile, not too thin, not too thick. Improved high fret access due the thinner body as well. Love it! Can't wait to rehearse & gig with it! The case is really heavy... maybe heavier than the guitar.

Last edited:

chrisjnyc

Supporting Member
Keep in mind that the 2015 models will probably have the very wide nut width and the brass nut. If it wasn't for the nut width I would seriously consider one of those.

I'll have to try them both out back to back on a clean setting and report back. I have 4 Les Pauls and they all sound different. I know that the regular classic definitely sounds different from the Lite on the bridge PU but I think a big part is due to the pickups. I have Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries in my regular classic and this Classic Lite has a 57+ at the bridge and a 57 at the neck. The 57+ is a bright PU. I didn't care for them in my SG but they sound good in the LP Lite.
Right... avoid the 2015 models no matter how cheap they are!

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
UPDATE:Supposedly out for delivery at 4:30 am today, we'll see if it makes it...:waiting
UPDATE UPDATE: Finally arrived, looked great, no cosmetic issues outside of a pretty dry fretboard. Did a string change to my usual La Bella 10-46 set, quick truss rod & action adjust, played and sounded great. Really light and love the neck profile, not too thin, not too thick. Improved high fret access due the thinner body as well. Love it! Can't wait to rehearse & gig with it! The case is really heavy... maybe heavier than the guitar.

Any pics?