NGD Gibson Les Paul Standard 50’s (Original Collection)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Danzego, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Danzego

Danzego Member

I bought this brilliant LP Standard 50’s (from the new “Original Collection”) through Wildwood Guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It weighs 9 lbs 9.75 oz and the neck measures .88 - 1.00 1st through 12th fret. I have a 2019 Traditional that Gibson referred to simply as a “Rounded Profile” and this new one is definitely thicker than that.

It’s nice and loud and resonant when unplugged, along with very good sustain. Wildwood set it up nicely, though it still feels just a touch high on the action and relief. Some of that could be me being used to the lower fret profile of the 2019 Traditional.

EDIT: I checked measurements for relief and nut clearance. I got about .010-.011 on neck relief and .006 on the nut (checked by pressing the 2nd fret and measuring the clearance of the low E string at the 1st fret). 3/64 high E and 4/64 low E action at the 12th. Wildwood did great! It’s just the higher than Traditional fret height that was throwing me. *

The fretboard is extremely smooth and fairly dark looking. Nice tight pores in the rosewood. The frets are super smooth and bends glide over them nicely. I can’t say whether it came that way straight from the factory or Wildwood touched it up during their setup. Either way, I’m relieved.

Quality control seems mostly on point. The only issue is on the very bottom of the guitar, near the strap button, there seems to be a slight unfinished or off colored (very light, light white or gray) line along the back edge of the guitar. It’s very small and the guitar seems perfect otherwise, so I’m not concerned about it. It’s not something I’ll ever see unless I go looking for it on the bottom back edge. The greats of the guitar far outweigh that.

It sounds and plays amazingly!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

Wow, nicest top I’ve seen on any 50s edition so far. Congrats!

Dexter.Sinister, yeatzee and Danzego like this.
  3. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Great top and nice dark fretboard!

Danzego likes this.
  4. Danzego

Danzego Member

Thank you!

I got out the guitar toolkit and did measurements (I added the edit to my original post). The Wildwood tech hit it right on the nose. Being used to the 2019 Traditional low fret size was throwing me and making things feel on the high side. I may have to drop the action a bit further for kicks.

5. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

HNGD! It looks beautiful.

Danzego likes this.
  6. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

That is a beauty you have! :omg :drool :aok :dude :beer

Danzego likes this.
  8. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Very nice indeed!

Danzego likes this.
  9. samdjr74

samdjr74 Silver Supporting Member

Very nice, congratulations!

Danzego likes this.
  10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Is that Cherry Burst?

Danzego likes this.
  11. Danzego

Danzego Member

Yep, Heritage Cherry Sunburst. It has a nice fade to it and the bottom red isn’t real heavy to begin with. so it doesn’t end up looking like a total clownburst.

12. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Beautiful top and colors on that one!

Danzego likes this.
  13. redbrick

redbrick Member

Excellent top! I'm sure the rest of the guitar is great too.

Danzego likes this.
  14. John C

John C Supporting Member

Wow! That is a nice one; I'll echo the comments that this is one of the nicest tops I've seen on these new '50s Standards.

Danzego likes this.
  15. fancychords

fancychords Member

I have one too about a few weeks it replaces a 2019 traditional. When I played it I thought the action was incredibly low and when I checked it was the same as the traditional it just felt lower. I’m loving the guitar.

Danzego likes this.
  16. coyoteaz

coyoteaz Member

That fretboard is darker then the other 19's I've seen so far. Beautiful guitar!

Danzego likes this.
  17. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

18. Danzego

Danzego Member

Do you mean your Standard feels lower than the Traditional at the same height? If so, that’s the opposite of what I’m feeling.

Eventually, I’m going to get the Traditional refretted. Bending was always not quite as smooth as it could be due to fingertips touching the fretboard. When I use the Traditional exclusively, it’s not too bad, but I can really tell when jumping between guitars (especially since I got a Professional Series Tele a couple months ago, which has Narrow Tall frets).

19. fancychords

fancychords Member

Yes the standard feels lower. Also I found a considerable difference better than the trad in sound and playability. When I bought it from Sweetwater I thought if there’s no difference between it and the trad I’ll send it back. Well I’ve since sold the trad and the standard is my number one.

20. bryan83

bryan83 Member

That’s a beautiful LP! Did they get rid of the pink plastics associated with the Traditionals? Looks more white and vintage correct in that picture.