NGD Gibson Les Paul Standard 50’s (Original Collection)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Danzego, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Jedi

Jedi Member

Nice guitar! Congrats!

I’m not sure why players were unhappy about weight-relief in past years? When done correctly there is no discernible change in tone. While the newer stuff looks good, an almost 10 lbs. LP is not in my cards.

After 30 plus years of gigging anything over 8.5lbs is just not feasible for me.

YMMV

2. Danzego

Danzego Member

Thank you!

Gibson is still using the same binding. Honestly- and you may find this hard to believe- that’s just an optical illusion caused by the color of the binding and the red paint. I think that particular color of binding tends to “pick up” the color of things directly around it. I know exactly what you’re talking about and it’s actually one of two reasons I got a Traditional in Tobacco rather than Cherry last year (the other being the paint jobs weren’t very good). However, I just checked it and if you look at it under natural lighting or shine a flashlight on the binding, you won’t see any pink in it at all, just like in the pictures I took.

If you compare pictures of the Tobacco burst and Cherry burst, (Sweetwater is a good place to find consistent pictures), the bindings look different in color. That’s actually not the case. Again, I just checked that with my Traditional Tobacco and Standard Cherry right next to each other in sunlight and a flashlight. They’re the same color.

So yeah....it does look a bit pink depending on your lighting and the angle you’re viewing it from, but it really isn’t. Whether you can stand that is up to you. I’m getting used to it. Knowing that it’s just the color of the guitar causing that makes it easy for me to ignore.

bryan83 likes this.
  3. Danzego

Danzego Member

Thanks!

I don’t know....I just don’t like the feel of a chambered guitar. I don’t mind the Traditional 9 hole weight relief (my Studio Deluxe II that I just sold to help pay for this Standard had that), but I don’t care for full on chambering (I had a Studio Faded with that).

When I decided to get a Standard, I was aiming to stay in the low 9’s for weight. However, when I saw that top on Wildwood’s site, I decided the weight thing wasn’t as important to me. I’m already used to it as being that my Traditional is only an ounce lighter, so whatever. *shoulder shrug*

4. Deus56

Deus56 Member

That last pic of your guitar, WOW
    Reminds me why I love Les Pauls. Outstanding!
    Congrats

Danzego likes this.
  5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

You can find a Trad/Original 50's/60's Standard at that weight, but you have to be patient and keep looking for the lighter ones. They vary a lot.
    Al

6. Danzego

Danzego Member

The lowest weight I saw so far was one at Sweetwater that weighed 7 lbs 13 oz. Definitely a serious outlier. I’ve seen several in the high 8’s here and there.

7. nailthesnail

nailthesnail Member

that’s an absolute beauty! congrats.

Danzego likes this.
  8. Thrane

Thrane Member

So classic, pure beautyness.

Danzego likes this.
  9. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

Beautiful, beautiful top. A shame about the heavy weight, but I guess to each their own. Not sure if you're on the younger or older side, but either way, I hope your back, shoulder and neck hold out. Watch out for yourself.

Danzego likes this.
  10. MusicalMan

MusicalMan Member

Congratulations @Danzego! I wish you many years of enjoyment with your sweet new guitar. Happy NGD! :rockin

Danzego likes this.
  11. drewl

drewl Member

Beautiful, what are they going for?

Danzego likes this.
  12. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Mr Danzego..sorry but we must pull your TGP card....that slight off color spot on that great guitar should be automatic angst, anger against Gibson for not being 100% perfect ..in fact that guitar should be in the dumpster as it is without a doubt unworthy of being a INSTRUMENT that you can make music with ;)

Plexi

Jabberwocky and Danzego like this.
  13. Danzego

Danzego Member

$2150 was my damage. They retail for $2499.

14. Danzego

Danzego Member

I’ll be fine. I don’t even think about it when I’m picking it up/putting it down and playing it. I have a 2019 Traditional that is within an ounce difference (on the lighter side), so I’m used to it.

If it was 8 lbs 9.75, I assume most people would be saying it’s a great light weight. That’s only a pound difference. I’ve eaten steaks that are heavier than that. :aok

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  15. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Excellent price for what appears to be an excellent guitar. Did you negotiate to 2150 or was it marked down?

How do you like the pups?

16. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I have a couple LPs that weigh 8.3 pounds and I have one that is 10lbs even.

The one that is 10 pounds doesn't bother me the slightest, probably because my bones aren't made of chalk.

Danzego likes this.
  17. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Very nice. When I inquired about ordering one with a highly flamed top, I was told, no special requests, you get what you get. If I'm going to spend over $2000 on a guitar, I want what I want. I'll wait to find one in stock.

18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Players that prefer a lighter LP don't necessarily have "bones of chalk". There's no need to be insulting.
    Al

19. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Not insulting, just tongue in cheek. I prefer the light ones too, but 10lbs won't crush me.

20. Danzego

Danzego Member

I love Burstbuckers. They’re great.

As for price, I asked for a good deal and got one. That easy. :)