NGD Gibson Les Paul Standard 50’s (Original Collection)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Danzego, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Danzego

Danzego Member

Who was that- Guitar Center?

2. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Oh God, no. I don't buy anything substantial at GC. I was told that information from an independent music store that I frequent.

3. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

Guitar Center is one of my go to stores to get my guitars and equipment. I have never had an issue with them. The Nashville store rocks and most of the sales guys are players in bands and know their stuff. When I go to the Namm Show and see a guitar there I want. I call my guy at GC and he is able to actually get the guitar I want and saw at Namm! I haven'e had another dealer be able to do that for me. I am sorry that a few people have had not so nice experiences at a GC. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Years ago in the late 90's, I had GC in Hollywood custom order for me a Grestch reissue Duo Jet without the bigsby on it. The Gretsch rep at one of the Namm Shows I attended, recommended to me to call that store, due to the fact at that time, that was the only store that could custom order that particular guitar for me and I have used it several times in the studio since. This was pre-Fender before they bought Gretsch when there wasn't a custom shop. So I guess I am a customer for life at GC.:aok

4. GreatGreen

GreatGreen Member

Glad to see you're Playing Authentic™.

Just kidding, beautiful guitar!

5. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

I played a Goldtop version of this guitar at GC a few weeks ago and I was surprised at how much I really dug it. I've owned a lot of Les Pauls and it was one of the best playing and sounding LP's I've ever come across.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Congratulations on obtaining a simply beautiful example of a Les Paul Standard!

I hope you get many years of enjoyment with it. :)

7. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Lucky you. ;):rolleyes:

8. Danzego

Danzego Member

I don't have any outstanding issues with GC. I just asked that because unless you walk into the store and see it on the rack, you can't select the exact guitar you want (like you can for a retailer like Wildwood, Zzounds, Sweetwater, etc).

9. Danzego

Danzego Member

Unfortunately, the guitar is going back. I hate to say it, because it sounds and plays great. However, I didn't notice it at first, but there's a ridge along the neck where Gibson's folk overscraped the binding. This has caused a ridge from the third fret area all the way up to the ninth fret, then it begins again at about the 13th fret. It's not huge, but it's enough to where I can feel it when I move my hand along the neck. I particularly notice it when I play standing up, where my thumb is on top of the ridge and I can feel it scrape the inside of my thumb. I can't handle that. I seriously tried, but it wasn't happening.

A big thanks goes out to whoever does the binding scraping over at the Gibson factory. You single handedly ruined the nicest Les Paul I ever played.