NGD - Godin Empire P90

JS635

Not much out there in the Godin Empire, so hoping this helps others looking at this guitar.

I've been in the market for a P90 loaded guitar for some time now, but never had the cash until this weekend. Narrowed the choices down to a PRS SE 245, Fender Jim Adkins JA90, and the Godin Empire P90. My favorite local owned music store happened to be one of the few places that carried the Godin, so I went in to try it out. Walked out of the store with it in hand.

Price-wise, the Godin was the cheapest of the three options I was looking at, though feature-wise they are all ver similar. The store I picked it up from happened to be running a huge 10th anniversary sale, so I got to support local business and still pay less than anywhere I've seen it online. $480 out the door, with a case. The case is one of the best "gig bags" I've ever seen. Compact, yet sturdy, with a neck protector and plenty of storage pockets.

Initial impressions are very positive. Solid slab of mahogany, extremely resonant body, we'll balanced and very easy to play. The wrap around bridge is interesting, but the intonation is almost dead on and the sustain is fantastic. Fit and finish are excellent, and the playability rivals any guitar I've owned.

The pickups are still a work in progress; I'm having a world of trouble getting the bridge to be as loud as the neck, which is overpowering it by a mile. Neither pickup is blowing me away tonally, but I can live with them for a while. May look into Wolfetones later down the road. That said, the guitar sounds excellent. The Godin P90's are articulate without being harsh, and have a nice, full bodied thing going on. Very responsive to changes in the volume and tone knobs. Sounds excellent overdriven, though it takes a little extra oomph to get them there, they're a little on the polite side of the P90 spectrum.

All in all, a very reasonably priced and exceptionally well made (in Canada, not overseas which is unique and pretty cool) instrument that looks great, feels better, and sounds excellent. With a few tweaks to the pickups, I'd bet it will hold its own against instruments twice the price. I'm very happy.

[/IMG]

strattitude

I have the version with a HB a bridge and a Rickenbacker'ish pickup at the neck.
Great guitar! Resonates really dell and very easy to handle.
I did put sine TV Jones puls in mine.
The guitar itself is really good though!
Wouldnt mind the P90 version myself...

finboy

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a richmond empire (same guitar, different branding), GREAT guitar. I had the humbucker/single model, traded the pickups for some tv jones t-armonds, the routs are big enough to accommodate either. It's a bolt neck, but really well worked, and the unfinished neck is a dream to play...

JS635

Thanks everyone! It's been a good grab so far. I know I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I'm still trying to find things not to like about this guitar. The only thing is the volume balance between the two pickups. To anyone who owns this (or any other) P90 loaded guitar: any tips on how to fix this? I've read that this is a common issue with P90's, but I'm not sure how to remedy it. I've adjusted the heck out of the heights of both pups with limited effectiveness. Any other options?

Trending Topics