NGD. Got a Strat Finally (Suhr)

MotoGuitard

I always fancied myself as a Les Paul type dude, dual humbuckers, that whole thing. I got a Suhr classic antique because whatever I listen to and like is usually on a strat. I'm dang loving the extended scale length. I've been playing since 7th grade which equates to maybe 20 years-ish lol. This is really the first guitar I don't want to put down. So resonate it's crazy. The neck is perfect. I played one in the store here and didn't have the funds for it but gave me trust to blind order a guitar, which I never do.
Only problem was the bottom two (E and A) strings had a nasty string buzz. It was really bad. Pretty disappointed at first but I lifted the saddles a touch and think I sorted it out. Still a little annoyed by it coming that way but it's such a great guitar I'll give it a pass. By great guitar, I sum it up like this, I want to pick it up. I always want to play it. Even typing this I still want to be playing it. It sounds that good. Just a touch worried about how buzzy it was but I think it'll be okay.
I didn't necessarily want the 'dings' on it but did like the nitro and the checking on it. I look at the dings as a good way to play the heck out of it and when i inherently hit it on something I won't feel so bad lol.

LReese

I'd say it pays negative interest... LOL Post pics!

Seriously - Congrats!

I remember getting my Custom - It needed a little time and tweaking to find the sweet spot and to settle in. Conditions are likely a bit different between the Cali factory, the Dealer and wherever you are at. Something to be expected - nature of something made of wood.

Last edited:

Bertiman

Supporting Member
I always fancied myself as a Les Paul type dude, dual humbuckers, that whole thing. I got a Suhr classic antique because whatever I listen to and like is usually on a strat. I'm dang loving the extended scale length. I've been playing since 7th grade which equates to maybe 20 years-ish lol. This is really the first guitar I don't want to put down. So resonate it's crazy. The neck is perfect. I played one in the store here and didn't have the funds for it but gave me trust to blind order a guitar, which I never do.
Only problem was the bottom two (E and A) strings had a nasty string buzz. It was really bad. Pretty disappointed at first but I lifted the saddles a touch and think I sorted it out. Still a little annoyed by it coming that way but it's such a great guitar I'll give it a pass. By great guitar, I sum it up like this, I want to pick it up. I always want to play it. Even typing this I still want to be playing it. It sounds that good. Just a touch worried about how buzzy it was but I think it'll be okay.
I didn't necessarily want the 'dings' on it but did like the nitro and the checking on it. I look at the dings as a good way to play the heck out of it and when i inherently hit it on something I won't feel so bad lol.
Apparently, Suhrs come from the factory with super low action. Any change to the neck during shipping can easily result in buzzing. When I bought my Suhr, the shop told me that they come with incredibly low action, I asked them to raise it because I like to be able to really dig in. More importantly... CONGRATS!

Redrum

Saddle height adjustments should work, but a slight (very slight, like 1/8th of a turn or less) to the truss rod should help. Loosen the truss rod a smidge and put a little relief into the neck. I usually adjust the truss rods on both my Suhr guitars about once a year.

And congrats on the new guitar!

CaliCaveMan

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty sure standard setup from the factory is usually 4/64 action. Could have been someone wherever you bought it changed the factory setup. Couple turns with a wrench and it’s all good. Congrats on the new axe. Would certainly like to see pics. Enjoy!

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Silver Supporting Member
For what it’s worth, I own 4 Suhrs - 1 Pro model and 3 custom classics (S and T). Every one of them has required some truss rod tweaks and raising the action to get them to play right for me. I have a heavy right hand and prefer about 0.010 relief and 5/64” height on the low E to 4/64 on the high E, measured at the 12th fret with a capo on the first fret. All of mine took a bit of raising to get them there, but they have been great since.

Trending Topics