NGD. Got a Strat Finally (Suhr)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MotoGuitard, Nov 9, 2019.

1. MotoGuitard

MotoGuitard Member

I always fancied myself as a Les Paul type dude, dual humbuckers, that whole thing. I got a Suhr classic antique because whatever I listen to and like is usually on a strat. I'm dang loving the extended scale length. I've been playing since 7th grade which equates to maybe 20 years-ish lol. This is really the first guitar I don't want to put down. So resonate it's crazy. The neck is perfect. I played one in the store here and didn't have the funds for it but gave me trust to blind order a guitar, which I never do.
    Only problem was the bottom two (E and A) strings had a nasty string buzz. It was really bad. Pretty disappointed at first but I lifted the saddles a touch and think I sorted it out. Still a little annoyed by it coming that way but it's such a great guitar I'll give it a pass. By great guitar, I sum it up like this, I want to pick it up. I always want to play it. Even typing this I still want to be playing it. It sounds that good. Just a touch worried about how buzzy it was but I think it'll be okay.
    I didn't necessarily want the 'dings' on it but did like the nitro and the checking on it. I look at the dings as a good way to play the heck out of it and when i inherently hit it on something I won't feel so bad lol.

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

3. LReese

LReese Member

I'd say it pays negative interest... LOL Post pics!

Seriously - Congrats!

I remember getting my Custom - It needed a little time and tweaking to find the sweet spot and to settle in. Conditions are likely a bit different between the Cali factory, the Dealer and wherever you are at. Something to be expected - nature of something made of wood.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Congrats! Got that feeling too with my first suhr. Could not stop playing it

5. Bertiman

Bertiman Supporting Member

Apparently, Suhrs come from the factory with super low action. Any change to the neck during shipping can easily result in buzzing. When I bought my Suhr, the shop told me that they come with incredibly low action, I asked them to raise it because I like to be able to really dig in. More importantly... CONGRATS!

rhinocaster likes this.
  6. Redrum

Redrum Member

Saddle height adjustments should work, but a slight (very slight, like 1/8th of a turn or less) to the truss rod should help. Loosen the truss rod a smidge and put a little relief into the neck. I usually adjust the truss rods on both my Suhr guitars about once a year.

And congrats on the new guitar!

MotoGuitard likes this.
  7. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

Pretty sure standard setup from the factory is usually 4/64 action. Could have been someone wherever you bought it changed the factory setup. Couple turns with a wrench and it’s all good. Congrats on the new axe. Would certainly like to see pics. Enjoy!

8. arctic

arctic Member

Congratulations!

But you know what they say, "pics or it didn't happen" ;)

9. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

10. jbat

jbat Member

Congrats on the new guitar. Need to throw some pics up.

11. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

For what it’s worth, I own 4 Suhrs - 1 Pro model and 3 custom classics (S and T). Every one of them has required some truss rod tweaks and raising the action to get them to play right for me. I have a heavy right hand and prefer about 0.010 relief and 5/64” height on the low E to 4/64 on the high E, measured at the 12th fret with a capo on the first fret. All of mine took a bit of raising to get them there, but they have been great since.

12. MotoGuitard

MotoGuitard Member

I'm really trying to post some pics guys, but it isn't working for some odd reason.