NGD Gretsch G5120

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DRS, Jan 21, 2012.

1. DRS

DRS Member

In orange

I know not the most prestigious guitar but I was shocked at how well built it is. It's flawless. Plays well. Bigsby is fun. Sounds pretty good. The Gretschbucker in the bridge is very nice with a very nice chime and bite. The neck pup is OK but it hasn't the chime of a real Filtertron. An obvious chocie for replacement. The Nashville style bridge seems cheap and the screws are very stiff so I will toss that for sure. The pots seem to be voiced correctly with a nice range. Overall, a great axe for the $$$.

2. b2sc

b2sc Member

Get a Compton or TruArc bridge and you'll be at the next level. Those 5120s are great guitars.

3. DRS

DRS Member

Thanks, b2sc. I'll check it out. Any idea about swapping pickups? I want to try GFS Retrotrons but they seem to have a standard Gibson style mount. My rings have 2 screws on one side and one on the other. TV Jones says I have to buy their rings to adapt their Filtertrons to my G5120. Could I buy TV Jone's rings and GFS Retrotrons?

4. lcs101

lcs101 Member

Picked up the exact same thing last week. I love it. Cannot afford it now, but will certainly at least consider some HS Filtertrons or TV Jones Classics in the future.

5. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on your new Gretsch 5120!

6. DRS

DRS Member

So I spent the morning monkeying with my 5120. I noticed that the bridge saddle scews were siezed on the high E and B strings, so I grabbed an old Gibson Nashville bridge I had and swapped it out. The Gibby is no heavier and still made of zinc, but the adjustment screws work great. I then noticed that the pups won't go down, only up(??) I popped off the mounting rings and found the usual culprit - the holes through the rings are too tight for the screw so the screw just rides up out of the ring. Applied some carefully executed pressure to open the holes out a bit so now I can adjust the height. Set the pups for maximun chime. Improvement over all the way up. Changed the stock strings for some Daddario 11s. Funny, they seem stiffer on the Gretsch than the same 11s feel on my Les Paul. May try 10s. Overall a productive morning. Later today I'll muck with the pup pole heights and set the intonation.
    I think it's getting better all the time.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  7. Martin82

Martin82 Member

Congratulations, but we need pictures.

8. DRS

DRS Member

OK. A bit later.

9. Martin82

Martin82 Member

I'll second the Compton recommendation. I installed a stainless steel Compton on my 5120 and it really improved the clarity and sustain. I also adjusted the pole heights and made a noticeable improvement. Though, I am still on the fence about new pups.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Oh yeah
    Electromatics are probly THE best value for money mid priced guitars available today imo :)

11. DRS

DRS Member

I'm not much of a photographer
    [​IMG]

12. adkteleman

adkteleman Member

Congrats on your Gretsch! My wife got me mine for our 5th Anniversary a couple years ago and man do I love that guitar! I put on a stainless steel Compton bridge and have not looked back since! Fantastic guitar! Enjoy her!!

13. lcs101

lcs101 Member

Just need to paint my pickguard, and it will just the same (sans the "Gretsch decal)

14. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

Congrats! That is a great guitar. I bought one when they first came out (when they had the clear pickguard) I got the Gretsch logo from the guy I bought the guitar from and painted the PG gold turned out pretty cool. The pickups in the earlier model were pretty weak so I replaced mine & the guitar screams now.

15. DRS

DRS Member

I signed up at the Gretsch Talk forum and now I've slid down a whole new rabbit hole.
    When I got my Les Paul it was Callaham vs Tone Pros and Seth Lover vs Lollar Imperial. With Gretsch, it's Compton vs TruArc and TV Jones vs HS Filtertron.
    I've already ordered a Compton bridge and I'm scheming for the HS Filtertrons
    :messedup

But it is a fun guitar.

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

When I had a 5120, it came to me with the gretschbuckers replaced by HS filtertrons. Excellent p/us in that guitar.
    MD

17. jrm

jrm Member

Congrats! the 5120 is a great guitar! I got one on a whim about a year and a half ago. It has become my goto guitar for Sunday mornings. All my other stuff (Les Pauls, SGs, Strats, etc...) sit in the closet. Best guitar value I've found in a loooong time. I thought about changing out the pickups and such, but, even stock this thing is a keeper.

-jon

18. jota

jota Member

Congrats.
    The stock pickups sound nice:

19. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

Congrats on your new guitar. I love my orange 5120. I put TV Jones pickups in mine. It is a great guitar for the $$$ (and a great guitar in general).