NGD Gretsch G6228 Jet

flume

Double Platinum Member
As described in an earlier post, I finally wised up and acted on the advice I’ve heard for years; for what you play, a Gretsch would be perfect.
It was just a matter of finding the right model and features that once you go down the Gretsch rabbit hole can be bewildering. I cut the web research short and decided to put a few in my hands. Off to Chuck Levin’s we go:
index.php

They listed a sapphire blue 6228 on their site but alas it was not there. The champagne and turquoise metallics looked nice but it was the Cadillac Green that rang the bells immediately. Lots of important things lined up on this model for me; anchored bridge, string through bigsby and chambered body. The ebony board is fast and fretwork is superb. I quickly compared a 6128 and the pickups were just lifeless and without “that great Gretsch sound” that brought me this far. It wasn’t a close call. Set up on the spot with my 12-52 wound third set and home we go:
index.php

It’s sounding great with all the Matchless; especially the el84 models.
index.php

Of course I’m disparaging myself for taking so long to discover how well these tones work for me. These pickups are higher output but sound exactly the way I’d want. Especially that bridge tone that cuts through without spiking. Better than any bridge p90 I have played. And I’ve played a lot. Now time to go immerse in some more of that “great Gretsch sound”!

Brutus

I’ve got Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanez, Epiphone, etc. I figured I had it all mostly covered until I got my Gretsch. I’d advise those of us who feel the same to try a few. What have I been missing comes to mind.

flume

Double Platinum Member
Really stable tuning too- I’m not running to swap in graph tech saddles as I’ve done on others. Really comfortable and balanced. Could easily cover all I do in a set.

sickboy79

Fantastic! Love Gretsch guitars (have a few myself). Jets are absolutely fantastic guitars. Enjoy it.

killer blues

As described in an earlier post, I finally wised up and acted on the advice I’ve heard for years; for what you play, a Gretsch would be perfect.
It was just a matter of finding the right model and features that once you go down the Gretsch rabbit hole can be bewildering. I cut the web research short and decided to put a few in my hands. Off to Chuck Levin’s we go:
index.php

They listed a sapphire blue 6228 on their site but alas it was not there. The champagne and turquoise metallics looked nice but it was the Cadillac Green that rang the bells immediately. Lots of important things lined up on this model for me; anchored bridge, string through bigsby and chambered body. The ebony board is fast and fretwork is superb. I quickly compared a 6128 and the pickups were just lifeless and without “that great Gretsch sound” that brought me this far. It wasn’t a close call. Set up on the spot with my 12-52 wound third set and home we go:
index.php

It’s sounding great with all the Matchless; especially the el84 models.
index.php

Of course I’m disparaging myself for taking so long to discover how well these tones work for me. These pickups are higher output but sound exactly the way I’d want. Especially that bridge tone that cuts through without spiking. Better than any bridge p90 I have played. And I’ve played a lot. Now time to go immerse in some more of that “great Gretsch sound”!
that bleeds cool.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
Something about el84s and this guitar are a magical pairing. Detail, balance and clarity. It’s all very 3D. Love it!
index.php

I find that my Gretsches (all with variations of FilterTrons …) sound great through Matchless (and other Vox-derived amps) and through Marshall types, at least for midgain to dirtier tones:

Attachments

• 1A5F4B01-7D41-4434-BB28-F3593B38668C.jpeg
    1A5F4B01-7D41-4434-BB28-F3593B38668C.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 8

flume

Double Platinum Member
I find that my Gretsches (all with variations of FilterTrons …) sound great through Matchless (and other Vox-derived amps) and through Marshall types, at least for midgain to dirtier tones:
That exact color tolex is on my Matchless bucket list! Beautiful!

IAE

Great colors. I love that combo and it’s almost always the one that I look at on the Gretsch site.

flume

Double Platinum Member
Great colors. I love that combo and it’s almost always the one that I look at on the Gretsch site.
It’s such a classic Gretsch color scheme. I had myself convinced that I had to be different by pushing for the unavailable sapphire blue but this green sounded so good right out of the gate it was an easy decision.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Nice! I traded mine a way for a Knaggs Severn HSH. Price wise, I would've been stupid not to but those 6228s are killer guitars. I just wish they had a slightly thicker neck.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom