NGD Gretsch super chet

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Musicman100, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Musicman100

Musicman100 Member

I’ve been looking for one of these for a while but they are quite rare over here in the U.K. n asking prices can be all over the place. https://i.imgur.com/LzU3cBx.jpg

DBBlues likes this.
  2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels

They're not too common on this side of the Atlantic, either. They were expensive when new, they're from a period when Gretsches in general weren't too popular, and some people are put off by the unusual control layout; between the unfamiliarity and the rarity, nobody's sure how much they should really sell for. $2500 seems to be a rough average these days.

DBBlues likes this.
  3. Musicman100

Musicman100 Member

I agree.
    Prices over here on those can be ridiculous.
    There’s one sat on eBay at £2750

I’ve paid just over half that which I feel happy with.

DBBlues likes this.
  4. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I dig it. I have a Gretsch from around the same time period- a 1979 Country Club.

5. Dane Kurnhart

Dane Kurnhart Member

70's Gretsches can be very cool. I have an 81 double cut Falcon that is eminently playable compared to a double cut 60's version which is garbage if you have ever played one. In the 70's they removed the goofy gunk such as T-zone, Floating bridge, mutes and massive neck joint that makes it impossible to play beyond the 12th fret. My Falcon neck allows access well up to the 17th fret. Very playable, I had a single cut Falcon from 76 but it was soooo heavy, I couldn't stand it. How Billy Duffy could? I'll bet he has spinal issues now.

If you can find a Deluxe Chet, a Super Chet with Neo-classics fret markers, a Bigsby, regular knobs on the body and minimal inlay, that would be a very cool 70's Gretsch to have. The problem is I've never seen one in 35 years but Gretsch advertised they made it.

DBBlues likes this.
  6. Musicman100

Musicman100 Member

The Super Chet is a very cool 70s Gretsch
    I own a very early 60 Gretsch white falcon.

DBBlues likes this.
  7. 59refin

59refin Member

I've been confused this whole thread till I remembered the guitar I was thing about was a Super Axe not a Super Chet. I owned one of the last Baldwin Country Gentlemen but apparently I'm not the Gretsch historian I thought I was.

8. Dane Kurnhart

Dane Kurnhart Member

An early 60's Falcon is very cool. It's those late 60's telescopic ones that are a bit much... But Falcons are just amazing looking as are the Super Chet which I came so close to buying (Super Clean Chet) from Matt Umanov so so many years ago; we squabbled
    over $900 to $1K. Yeah I blew it, that day. Others I didn't so it worked mostly.

9. Dane Kurnhart

Dane Kurnhart Member

No, it's about the Super Chet. The Super Ax was Gretsches Chet Atkins solid body with on board special effects, another cool 70's Gretsch.

10. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Supporting Member

Which models had flat fretboards like my '72 Roc Jet 7612? No radius at all. Was that a 70's or Baldwin era thing?