• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD - Gretsch White Falcon BD

spotmandeux

First Gretsch I've ever owned, think first I've ever played actually. This is the Billy Duffy Falcon with silver flake binding, headstock trussrod access and his signature wound Filter'Tron. I've been playing Les Pauls for the past 30 years so this thing feels
massive. Sounds amazing through a blackface Super Reverb or a 100 watt Soldano.

20201006_081645.jpg
20201006_081904.jpg
20201006_081920.jpg

:cool:

jrbanjo

Nice!! I’ve been playing a 2012 orange Setzer I got last year and I still am wowed by how good it sounds.

It’s funny because mine doesn’t sound that great when it’s not plugged in, but I think that’s because the top is stiffened up a little bit to fight feedback, but through the amp just sounds so great.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
the top is stiffened up a little bit to fight feedback, but through the amp just sounds so great.
I had a Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean, a hollow (semi hollow?) body with a solid top and painted f-holes; probably for the same reason - to lessen feedback.

moehuh

Sweet!
How does the tone switch work? Is it like a traditional Falcon?

One of the best mods I've done to my Falcon was to add a 100k Ohm resistor in series to the upper tone switch capacitor. Previously, it was absolutely unusable mush in the upper position, never used it. Now it's like a tone pot rolled down to 7 or 8. Takes the Filtertrons into PAF territory. The lower switch position is muddy, but still usable. Mine has the modern cap values with 0.012uF @ 0.0039uF. Traditional values are 0.1uF & 0.047uF, which are both unusable IMHO.

Cannot recommend this simple mod enough to any Falcon user with a tone switch (it's called mud switch for a reason...)

Last edited:

mapleleaf14

Great looking!

This is the first "big body" Gretsch that has ever gotten my "G.A.S." going!

Are the bridges on these fixed like on most Gretsch? I'd be interested to hear more of your feedback after you've had her for a little while.

JeffK

Grats! Badass looking guitar!

I've always been a Cult fan and that is a really cool guitar. Enjoy!

JeffHaddad

Gold Supporting Member
Beautiful Falcon! I didn’t realize they made these with silver sparkle binding - it looks great! It’s like the Falcon version of the Chris Cheney model they made for the Australian market.
Congrats!

Trending Topics