• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD - Gretsch White Falcon BD

spotmandeux

Great looking!

This is the first "big body" Gretsch that has ever gotten my "G.A.S." going!

Are the bridges on these fixed like on most Gretsch? I'd be interested to hear more of your feedback after you've had her for a little while.
Yes, the bridge is pinned.

spotmandeux

Sweet!
How does the tone switch work? Is it like a traditional Falcon?

One of the best mods I've done to my Falcon was to add a 100k Ohm resistor in series to the upper tone switch capacitor. Previously, it was absolutely unusable mush in the upper position, never used it. Now it's like a tone pot rolled down to 7 or 8. Takes the Filtertrons into PAF territory. The lower switch position is muddy, but still usable. Mine has the modern cap values with 0.012uF @ 0.0039uF. Traditional values are 0.1uF & 0.047uF, which are both unusable IMHO.

Cannot recommend this simple mod enough to any Falcon user with a tone switch (it's called mud switch for a reason...)
Yes, the tone switch works the same way. Everything is the same as a tradition '70's Falcon except for the location of the trussrod adjustment, the hotter pickup, the bridge being pinned and the gold sparkle binding turned to a silver binding.

Great recommendation for the mod - thank you.

neastguy

holy crap.. if I owned that .. I'd actually have to practice and sound good... congrats

sunking101

First Gretsch I've ever owned, think first I've ever played actually. This is the Billy Duffy Falcon with silver flake binding, headstock trussrod access and his signature wound Filter'Tron. I've been playing Les Pauls for the past 30 years so this thing feels
massive. Sounds amazing through a blackface Super Reverb or a 100 watt Soldano.

View attachment 290469
View attachment 290470
View attachment 290471

:cool:
Did you buy it brand new and if so, how was the factory set-up?
I've been looking for one but everywhere in the UK is devoid of stock.

moehuh

Every single made in Japan Gretsch I've played was set up perfectly from the factory. This should be no different.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
silver sparkle binding and a hot tub lol

you’re living your best life sir , congrats

spotmandeux

There are very few used BT Falcons out there so I was saving for a new one for quite awhile. I was close to pulling the trigger and this one just popped up on-line for $1,000 less than a new one. I reached out to the owner and he said he bought it, tried playing it and after a few days realized it was "too large to handle " so it went back in the case with only a couple hours on it and sat for a year until he decided to put it back on the block. So it is used but still a barn find.

As far as the setup goes it's not been set up since it left Japan so I was planning on sending it in to get a full going-over but once I got it in my hands it was just fine so no - the factory setup is outstanding.

Trending Topics