NGD: Guitar Center Steal

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Drmojoxl, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Drmojoxl

Drmojoxl Silver Supporting Member

So I have been on the lookout for a P90 guitar to complete my collection ( I currently have a Les Paul for humbuckers, a tele for single coils, a Grestch for hollow body and filtrons) and while browsing the used Guitar Center online pages came across this beauty. A 2015 Les Paul Special double cut for $700. It checked all the boxes I wanted, bound neck and double cut. I liked the added pick guard so I figured I'd give it a go and ordered it. It arrived yesterday and in addition to the pick guard, the former owner had also added locking Grover tuners and a locking wraparound bridge. The only issue is the wide slim neck will take a little getting used to. It sounds spectacular. A pure rock and roll machine!

2. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

3. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

I dig it! The 2-knob setup looks pretty good. The pickguard was definitely the right choice. What bridge/studs? And what tuners did it originally have, Robot? If so, then yeah, Grovers are better for sure, though I'm usually not excited about them.

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Nice score! I tried one at GC when they came out but the 7 string neck was too much.

5. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

Nice work! Always liked the double cut P90 Gibby's.

I also picked up a steal at Guitar Center in 2015. Bought some Elixer strings and on the way out in the used section there was a Tele in a color I'd never seen before. It had reversed controls (volume knob up front instead of the switch), Black dot inlays, said "Special Edition" on the headstock. I asked two people at Guitar Center and they told me it was a parts caster, was really heavy too. Well I took pictures of it before I left because I thought it was cool looking.

A few days later scrolling in my phone I find the pictures. I do some online research only to find nothing. On this forum I posted pics and someone told me to send the serial to Fender Customer Relations which I did. Fender sent me a reply, it's a 2010 FSR Copper Burst Tele which is 1 of 200 made. All the stuff on there was purposely built.

I called Guitar Center immediately and asked if they still had the Tele. I was on hold which seemed to be hours waiting in anticipation if it was still there or sold. It was still there, bought it over the phone for $349. It was a good day.

[​IMG]Untitled by jpjr50, on Flickr

Go Cat Go!!, Lef T, MikeMcK and 3 others like this.
  6. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Nice score!!

7. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Man, I'd jump on a Tele like that in a heartbeat!

Very nice, and great score!

JamCave Studio likes this.
  8. Drmojoxl

Not sure about which bridge yet. It was delivered at work yesterday and I got home late last night so I only played it for about 30 min. I plan to change the strings and oil the fretboard this weekend so I'll check then. It come with the robot so locking tuners are definitely an upgrade.

9. wmachine

wmachine Member

OMG, you got one of the dreaded 2015 models!!! Drop it and run for your life!!!

Nice! I like mine just fine, too. Much different than the Junior.
    If you have the gold case, be careful as it may not fit in the case like it should. The body side of the compartment where it meets the neck is higher than it should be and the neck rests on just that "point" and can markup the neck at that point. And it leaves the neck not properly cradled. Won't be obvious unless you look closely. A t-shirt in the bottom of the case at the butt-end of the body raises the body just enough to tilt the neck into proper place.

Otter359 and MusicalMan like this.
  10. Drmojoxl

It didn't come with the gold case. This one came with a Gibson black case with white interior. Seems to fit well.

11. wmachine

wmachine Member

Should be fine with that case. It was only the gold anniversary cases they came with (along with the LP Juniors) that had that problem.
    Enjoy!

12. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, I’ve came close on these a bunch of times. But I just never could get past the wide thin neck profile. The things people complained about the most on the 2015s didn’t bother me, but the “soloist” neck profile is something I just never could get used to. But I’m weird.

They are killer guitars at killer prices due to the hatred of the 2015 year model stuff, some of which was legit, but most of which was irrational nonsense.

13. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Congrats!

I've got one as well - which I bought at a GC blowout for $599.99.

But now I need to go check my case... :confused

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

I got a '15 SB Junior at Ash for $499 in '16.
    I gotta say, some of the new releases feel a liiiiiiiiittttle like those wide necks. Hmm.
    I prefer fatter, but definitely in my wide-width zone.
    And, in all honesty, its robot keys are actually kind of convenient/entertaining for alternate tuning experimentation.
    Thanks Henry ;-)