NGD: guitar "not as described." Now what?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lt Dak, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:23 AM.

1. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

Maybe this is a minor quibble, and I'll get my @ss ripped. Mainly I'm just curious what the Hive Mind says.

Im trying to recreate my first guitar that got stolen a long time ago. It was a EBMM Silo with a Birdseye maple neck/board, and a floyd in surf green. One of a kind. I've been looking for one similar that I can send to Marty bell to have repainted like my old one.

I finally found a white one with a nice looking neck on reverb listed as "mint condition" for 950 shipped. Seller accepted 850.00.

I just got it a few hours ago, and while at first blush it seems to be in good shape overall, it's not "mint." I haven't given it a full inspection, but it's got some noticeable fretwear, some chipping/small finish cracks at the neck pocket, and a ding or two in the body. Also, the trem arm assembly was changed but the original was included. I don't know yet if it's usable.

I'm was going to have it refinished anyway, so I guess the paint chips aren't that big a deal, but the fretwear will require at minimum a level, or maybe a refret to get it where a "mint" silo would be. I don't want to send it back because these are hard to find, but it's not actually in the condition it was listed in.

What would you do? Keep it? Send it back? Ask for cash? I'm hesitant to ask for cash because the price was fairly low and as a seller, I hate it when people do that. What's fair?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sportycliff likes this.
  2. Colnago

Colnago Member

Certainly not “mint”. Send him the pics and ask what he can do for you. If he says for you to return it, the choice is yours. If he offers money back, again choice is yours. Maybe he’ll offer to pay for the fret level?
    Don’t tell him what you want, make that his decision so that it doesn’t seem like you’re looking for a discount. Be upfront that it is not as described.

3. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

If the frets are the only thing wrong I'd get some cash back for a refret or level. Return if that's the only thing the seller will agree to. Reverb will have your back on this so the seller should comply. Certainly not mint.

4. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

"Mint" is a soiled, throw away term now. I'm weary of anyone who uses it.
    Sorry about your predicament.

5. mschafft

mschafft Member

Even mint condition guitars need a fret level sometimes... You already got a lower price on this one. Ask for a $50 refund. Just my 2 cts.

Antmax and Lt Dak like this.
  6. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I think I'd be fine with some money toward a refret. The problem is that these are so hard to find at a reasonable price, so I'd rather hang on to it.

True. I don't think I've ever listed anything as mint. If anything, I'm probably overly conservative in my descriptions when I sell.

As for my predicament, it's not the end of the world, but it is kind of a bummer.

7. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I guess that's reasonable. To be clear, I hate the grifters on reverb who chisel prices down after the fact. I'm not trying to be "that guy." That said, I disagree that "mint" guitars have divots necessitating a fret level.

Reverb's definition of mint:

"For something to truly be mint, it needs to be just shy of Brand New. Mint items should include the original packaging in most cases. If there's any sort of imperfection, the item should be listed in Excellent condition at best."

8. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

A seller not mentioning fret wear is a real pet peeve of mine. I think it's just downright dishonest and I really want to use a stronger word. I mean c'mon, a re-fret is expensive so not mentioning one might be required is a douche move.

I was in the same position you are in now with the Santa Cruz in my signature. The seller lied about the fret wear, which was quite significant, and I had to have it re-fretted. I ended up not contacting the seller because I got a much deeper discount than you did, and I knew the guy would be all pissy about it because I could tell from communications with him he'd act all condescending about it and make the whole ordeal difficult; but I think you should hit the seller up in your deal for something back in return for him not coming clean about all those issues, especially those frets. 10% off is kind of de rigueur these days on Reverb and Ebay, so you actually probably paid the going price, not a discounted price.

Coolidge and Lt Dak like this.
  9. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

I don’t understand this American phenomenon of partial refunds. It is like renegotiating the price after the fact.

Either you keep it or you don’t. You’re well within your rights to return it, but if you’re gonna refinish it anyway....why bother?

10. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

“Mint” is without flaws. I would most certainly have a conversation with the seller even if I didn’t want to return the guitar

FiestaRed and Lt Dak like this.
  11. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

12. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I’d bring it up and see what they say
    If their decent they can give some thing if not unless it’s really bad I’d keep it considering it’s hard to find and how much aggravation is it worth to you

13. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I’d probably be a little frustrated, but if I knew from the jump I was getting it refinished I wouldn’t ask for anything. He already came down on his price and that seems like a good deal. Even “brand new” guitars at GC or whatever have probably been played for months by dozens of people.

Definitely not mint, so I get your perspective, but I’d probably just move on at this point.

Lt Dak and HERSCHEL like this.
  14. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Move on, either with the guitar or without. 1 or a 0.

15. caldera

caldera Member

Mint is completely without flaw or blemish. Send it back and make the seller pay return shipping.

16. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

This might come down to...your personality. If you need justice, more than peace, you’ll end up pointing out the flaws and asking for money towards a fret job. If you value peace of mind more than justice, you’ll probably reassure yourself that you got a good deal, found the guitar you really wanted, and move ahead with the refinish (and fret leveling). And one day you’ll hear yourself matter-of-factly say, “when I got this guitar, I had the frets leveled and the body refinished. Now look at her!”

Either way, make a note that THAT Reverb seller doesn’t know what Mint means. :)

richnrbq, 8nthatK, naveed211 and 2 others like this.
  17. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Shouda, coulda, woulda, the guy advertised as "Mint". That marketing term carries responsibility for the SELLER to then provide an instrument in that exact condition, pictures or no pictures. The OP is already inconvenienced and out of pocket shipping costs on the return, he hardly needs to be told he's the one at fault. I don't get some people.

Aahzz, the_Chris and Lt Dak like this.
  18. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

I'd return it. Definitely not as described by a long shot. Obviously the fret wear already broke the threshold for not being mint, but the chip was an add on.

The chip should have been disclosed whether you were repainting the guitar or not. Don't let that be a factor.

Lt Dak likes this.
  19. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I don't like it either, but sellers should be accurate in their descriptions and pack well, period.

Buyers should do the due diligence to make sure the seller is doing their part.

I'm interested to know what communication Lt Dak had with the seller beforehand and what he had for pics.

My vote is for a partial refund if he can get it.
    As I said previously, I agree that it's up to the buyer to do their part to make sure they're getting the advertised deal, but to say that the seller can make any claim they want then blame the buyer for what was either the seller's lie or ignorance is just wrong.

You are not a person I'd want to buy from.

SRQGuitar and Lt Dak like this.
  20. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

I'm not against a used guitar with a bit of play wear, but it should be disclosed. The worn frets would probably bother me the most of all that list.

I'm don't tend to like the partial refund approach, so I would probably send that back.

Okra and Lt Dak like this.