NGD: guitar "not as described." Now what?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lt Dak, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:23 AM.

1. mabinogeon

mabinogeon Silver Supporting Member

The fret wear would annoy me. If the seller described it as "mint" and it clearly isn't, that's on the seller.

Personally, I would want to send it back.

Lt Dak and mystixboi like this.
  2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

If you mean an unplayed "mint" guitar (needs fret leveling right out of the box), yes, that's possible ...
    once played those frets etc are no longer "mint" (as defined). :idea

That guitar isn't close to mint in any way.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    Lt Dak likes this.
  3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Op,
    If it's a used guitar, look right past the word "mint". It will not be. Sellers like to entice buyers with the word "mint". The most important thing here is that you're on a mission to reproduce a guitar, and you have one now that will get you there. Under the circumstances I would not dwell on the price or argue the definition of "mint". It's clearly not and was never going to be. You bit on the sales pitch, but that's ok - you're on your way to fulfilling a dream. As for the chip, again, you're getting a refin- don't obsess over it. The chip will be dealt with. Realistically, how much money are you expecting if you contest the word "mint"? Fifty bucks? If you're thinking he's gonna refund you $100 or $200 I'd say that's unlikely. We're talking small potatoes compared to righting a wrong that was dealt you and restoring a guitar to its rightful place in your collection. If you really want to make this dream a reality, you can't let these small numbers stand in the way. You need to pay something to achieve the goal.

Lt Dak likes this.
  4. Colnago

Colnago Member

The refinish isn't the issue here, the worn frets are. Neither were mentioned in the sellers ad.

Lt Dak likes this.
  5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Agree we know "mint" is rarely mint. But once a seller uses it, they are responsible for it and I'm not so forgiving of undescribed or hidden flaws.

Here ... the cost of a fret dressing is definitely in order if frets aren't "as new" (mint), seller set the expectations and must meet them imo.

6. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Member

I’d keep it and leave very detailed, one star feedback. Returning sounds like you’d you’ll be punishing yourself a bit because you obviously still want it. Negotiate for a partial refund.

7. caldera

caldera Member

Some people abuse it that way, but other times it's in both parties' best interest because the cost of shipping a guitar is high and just keeps getting higher.

Personally, I did give a partial refund once, and then I posted a policy that says my shop doesn't do partial refunds at all. But I wouldn't hesitate to ask for one if there were definite issues that were not disclosed with something I bought.

Lt Dak likes this.
  8. HellsKitchenGtr

HellsKitchenGtr Supporting Member

I agree with this, in this situation, but I'd still send him an email and give feedback that indicates that he didn't advertise the guitar fairly. Mint.... ********. I wouldn't expect or pursue money out of it.... for exactly the reasons you mention, don't wanna be that guy. Would you have paid what you paid if it had been disclosed? Sounds like probably....

Lt Dak likes this.
  9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Similar thing (but not as bad) happened to me the one time I bought a guitar on reverb.com. It was listed as Mint, but had about 5 small dings on it. Seller refused to give me any money back, so I left him negative feedback, warning others that his word on condition cannot be trusted. Great guitar at a decent price though, so I'm very glad I kept it.

Lt Dak likes this.
  10. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

Reverb describes the conditions clearly and MINT is the best which is basically new, yours isnt. Then EXCELLENT which are free from blemishes or imperfections, yours isnt. VERY GOOD shows few slight marks or scratches, yours isnt. GOOD shows wear and tear, maybe yours falls here. FAIR shows noticeable cosmetic damage or other issues, yours is maybe here.

Id say yours is GOOD to between GOOD - FAIR. So thats 3 levels of condition which is a lot in price. But Im not super picky either and this is why I LOVE custom shop relics.

poison7512 likes this.
  11. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

It's not 'mint', that much is clear.
    It's completely up to you as far as a partial refund or return.

Personally I think you should return it and wait on the guitar you are looking for exactly, color and all. Yeah, it may take a while and feel like it will never be available. But it will, they always do (unless it was a 'one-off' color?).
    The search can be part of the fun.

12. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Keep it or send it back. EOM. The partial refund thing needs to end.

BTW fret condition is tough. But mint is mint. And that includes frets. I guess we have to look for mint unplayed. Which would cover a lot of guitars I suspect. I have a Vela that is mint except if it moves back up to top player it will need fretwork in about a year. Some might think it does now. And therein lies one of the rubs.

hunter

Lt Dak likes this.
  13. poison7512

poison7512 Member

Yeah you should return it.

That's not even in excellent condition. I wouldnt even call it very good considering the chipped paint around the heel. Finish cracking is one thing, but those chips? Looks like someone removed the neck and re-attached it with the finesse of a gorilla. I would have sold that as good condition at best.

Lt Dak likes this.
  14. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I’d leave the lowest feedback possible, post pics on the feedback form (if possible) and detailed description of the problems.

That way there’s consequence for his cheating the system and you’d also be helping future buyers.

Seems like the shipping costs would probably be close to a fret level.

Lt Dak likes this.
  15. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

I'd give the guy a chance to see some really clear pics before you bust him with negative feedback. There's an outside chance that the chip happened in shipping (I used to work at a UPS distribution center--you can't believe how the trailers are loaded and unloaded and sorted), and there's also a chance that he wouldn't recognize fret wear if it bit him in the lip. If you show him what he "missed," you might win yourself a bit of a refund. If he's a d**k about it, then you'll have a clear conscience about posting the negative feedback.

Thumpalumpacus, Lloyd_m and Lt Dak like this.
  16. muzishun

muzishun Member

This is why I don't sell online

yakyak likes this.
  17. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I think this is a pretty reasonable, positive post, and the direction I'm leaning. Losing my first guitar was heartbreaking and I've always thought about recreating it.

Id have probably offered 800, so pretty close to what I paid. I can find 4 others online with a maple board, and they range from 1,091 to 2,302.

Id agree. At best, it's very good, but that's pushing it.

That's the problem, aside from the one I had, it literally does not exist. It was a one off made for a former Steve perry guitarist, and EBMM does not do custom orders.

I'd say I'm mostly in agreement. On occasion it's appropriate, but with all the stories you hear, it's fair to say it's gotten out of hand.

Because you list guitars as "mint" or "excellent," then get annoyed when buyers rightfully point out they aren't?

18. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'd tell him it's far from mint, and that the fretware is a bit of an issue.
    See what he says.

Price is more than reasonable for that guitar in that condition, so I wouldn't expect anything.
    Get it refinished, and leveled and enjoy it.

19. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Ah you had Lincoln's EBMM eh? He kept the one with the more 'strat' like bevels I believe.

20. muzishun

muzishun Member

Victim mentality