NGD: guitar "not as described." Now what?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lt Dak, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:23 AM.

1. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

It sounds like you want the guitar and are planning to keep the guitar. I guess I'd be prepared to not reach any satisfactory resolution as you may point it out to the seller and they might say "fine, send it back". Then you're out the guitar you really want, which isn't an option you want to consider. I don't think Reverb would do anything for you either as that would be considered an appropriate course of action by the seller.

Then your only option is to leave bad feedback. Not sure how Reverb works, but if the seller protests and provides proof they offered to take it back and give you a full refund, your feedback may get removed. Sucks for sure.

Lt Dak likes this.
  2. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I sent the seller a very nice message last night complementing his quick shipping and the neck on the guitar, but also laying out the issues. His written description says "excellent" and "guitar is in excellent condition no chips or dings or buckle rash."

He's sorry I'm not pleased, but points out the written description, it's over 20 years old, and he did include pics (not close up) showing the chip. I looked at them again, and you can faintly see it, but it almost appears to be a shadow/effect of lighting if you zoom in to the point where the picture starts to pixellate.

He also says that he'll be sure to put on his most powerful magnifiers in the future. A bit of an unnecessary and borderline snarky comment.

He says that he must have clicked "mint" by mistake, apologizes for the confusion and asks for my thoughts.

Okay, I get it, he's slightly annoyed. I don't think he's being intentionally dishonest, but I don't think he did a good job on this one. Points for quick shipping and quick communication, points off for a less than accurate description.

I'm going to go through a string change/more thorough inspection tonight (I play 9s, it's currently strung with 10s or 11s), to make sure there are no other issues, but I'm leaning toward keeping it. I'll let him know if he wants to send me 50.00, then great. If not, whatever. It's not really about the money, more about the fact that it's not what even the written description lists it as.

Now I just have to think about feedback. One star is maybe unwarranted. I don't think he's shady or ill-intended, but this is no five star transaction.

I appreciate the feedback so far. I've never really had any issues purchasing online, so this is a new one for me. I'm not pissed or anything, just a bit disappointed.

3. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

Please explain how this comes anywhere close to having a victim mentality. I'm genuinely curious to understand your thinking here.

8nthatK likes this.
  4. johnkoz

johnkoz Supporting Member

@Lt Dak

Pick up the phone and call reverb.
    I have found them to always be extremely helpful, ask them what they think, they will surely see it is not mint and many times they will just arbitrate on your behalf... Good luck

eigentone and Lt Dak like this.
  5. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I did. Also got my first lesson from him. He had 3 with the flat strat top, I believe he sold 2.

He was great to me back then. Neat dude. I still have his old Marshall 4x12.

8nthatK, big mike and R3deemed like this.
  6. Tachymetres

Tachymetres Supporting Member

I'd wonder what else is wrong with the guitar. It looks like the neck has been removed, which may have caused the finish crack at the body juncture. If everything checks out technically, it becomes a personal dilemma. Really depends how badly you want it.

Also, the snarky reply from the seller after you've brought reasonable issues up would help me give him a less than good rating.

Good luck.

Lt Dak likes this.
  7. m@2

m@2 Member

I'd probably just move on if I were you since you are overall happy with the guitar and price. I'd leave a 3-star review, with an explanation. I agree the seller overstated the condition, but it is a 20-year-old guitar, sold at a fair price (and you are refinishing it anyway). 1 star seems too low given the quick shipping, pricing and communication.

Totally up to you, but for me, the energy spent trying to work out something like this is not worth it.

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Great player seems like a great guy.
    Anxious to see your project completed.

Lt Dak likes this.
  9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'd probably ask for 50 bux.. then leave a 4 star. If he doesn't kick down, leave a 3 and call it good.

Lt Dak likes this.
  10. Otter351

Otter351 Member

OP said it needed a level because of undisclosed fretwear, not uneven frets that you may get from the factory. Big difference

Lt Dak likes this.
  11. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Nothing comes across as a 'victim mentality' in the least. Probably has a few guitars listed as 'mint'.

Lt Dak and Tone Loco like this.
  12. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Yeah...that's not anywhere near mint by anyone's definition. If he's willing to flex on the price and give you a partial refund and you're OK with it as is, then keep it...but personally I would send it back. No telling what other issues may be lurking under the surface if this guy took a look at this guitar and decided "yep, this one's mint!".

Plus $850 isn't THAT great a deal on these, these models are less popular than a lot of EBMM's other offerings and they regularly sell for $900-950ish in great shape.

Side note for sellers: never advertise a guitar as "mint" unless it's literally NOS or at the very least indistinguishable from a brand new one.

eigentone and Lt Dak like this.
  13. jcj

jcj Member

I'm about as laid back as it gets as a buyer, but I'd be annoyed if I were expecting a really clean example, and that's what I received.

Thumpalumpacus and Lt Dak like this.
  14. Foxmeister

Foxmeister Member

I agree that that guitar isn't mint.

Condition commensurate with age? Probably!

Unfortunately, "mint" is a term that pretty much needs to be relegated to the scrap heap - we live in a world where you can buy a brand new guitar that looks like it's beaten to sh1t because it has been relic'd at the factory.

This means that, in the guitar world, the term "mint" isn't objective, it is purely subjective, as having a few additional dings and scratches isn't going to make a huge amount of difference.

If it needs a fret job, or the electronics need work etc - that's a different story!

Lt Dak likes this.
  15. mschafft

mschafft Member

Yes but the work is the same...

16. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Return it, period. There are others out there. A refret ain't cheap, just keep looking around and even if you pay $200 more for another that's cheaper than a refret! Not mint, move on.

I don't like to be that guy either, talking about getting money back after the fact but I've had to do it but I documented what I was talking about and the sellers agreed so...

modavis99 likes this.
  17. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Unfortunately, one of the inherent potential hazards of buy online sight-unseen... I’m sure it’s happened to most of us. All you can really do is first contact the seller and see if they’ll make adjustments accordingly... and if not, file a claim with the service

And if an actual return is an option... that’s the quick & easy solution, of course

18. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Absolutely...stuff like this is why I buy guitars exclusively from GC used. When they say a guitar is mint and it arrives lookin' about a 4/10, I just hand it back to the clerk, get my refund, and go about my day :)

GenoVox likes this.
  19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Anyone characterizing any used as instrument as “mint” is not to be trusted.

I’d return it. But then I’d never have bought it in the first place.

20. Colnago

Colnago Member

The only "mint" guitar that I have is an unplayed, remains in the case, duplicate guitar that I bought for no other reason that to own it. Even then I would not describe it as "mint" as it does have a bit of swirling in the finish from the factory and some overspray on the nut. I'm picky though. I do not think "mint" exists, there is no such thing as "perfect".