NGD Guthrie Govan Sig

Nickel Tickler

El Duderino
Silver Supporting Member
After much gear selling and consolidation I landed on 2 guitars to rule them all. My trusty 59’ AVRI Strat and this gorgeous new Charvel Guthrie Govan signature. This beauty does it all, at least all that I do. Rock, blues, soul, Grateful Dead tunes, and of course a bit of dabbling in the higher octane offerings. The neck is silk. Everything is so well thought out and useably designed. If you’ve not had the pleasure of trying one out I highly recommend it if the opportunity arises. And checkout that awesome wood knot at the 19th! Looks like the guitar has an eye!
39A4A033-BD8D-4E82-8E32-088A46B66C46.jpeg
B410C867-8EAF-46A1-AEC9-DED4420776ED.jpeg
A4B5C241-29A6-4DCE-A075-F49C75AA5671.jpeg
99566BE5-6CCB-44C0-882C-DC36C77B91DE.jpeg
2A67FEDE-AAA3-4BE4-A5F1-2BFDAF57D138.jpeg
BEBF0DB2-60D0-4844-8704-990E2580F28D.jpeg

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
That is a beautiful top! Those necks are so amazing to play!
Much congrats and enjoy!

BaliGod

Silver Supporting Member
After much gear selling and consolidation I landed on 2 guitars to rule them all. My trusty 59’ AVRI Strat and this gorgeous new Charvel Guthrie Govan signature. This beauty does it all, at least all that I do. Rock, blues, soul, Grateful Dead tunes, and of course a bit of dabbling in the higher octane offerings. The neck is silk. Everything is so well thought out and useably designed. If you’ve not had the pleasure of trying one out I highly recommend it if the opportunity arises. And checkout that awesome wood knot at the 19th! Looks like the guitar has an eye! View attachment 651305 View attachment 651306 View attachment 651307 View attachment 651308 View attachment 651309 View attachment 651310

These are awesome. Congrats!

C-4

After much gear selling and consolidation I landed on 2 guitars to rule them all. My trusty 59’ AVRI Strat and this gorgeous new Charvel Guthrie Govan signature. This beauty does it all, at least all that I do. Rock, blues, soul, Grateful Dead tunes, and of course a bit of dabbling in the higher octane offerings. The neck is silk. Everything is so well thought out and useably designed. If you’ve not had the pleasure of trying one out I highly recommend it if the opportunity arises. And checkout that awesome wood knot at the 19th! Looks like the guitar has an eye! View attachment 651305 View attachment 651306 View attachment 651307 View attachment 651308 View attachment 651309 View attachment 651310
That is really beautiful!
Does it have a fat neck?

Silvertree

Platinum Supporting Member
I had one of these for a while and I wish I wouldn't have sold it. Congrats on a very nice guitar!

CapnRex

Those really are neato.
I love the wooden pickups. Are they really wooden or just brown plastic?

Looks quite similar in features to my AZ, though this is HSH and mine's HSS.

Nickel Tickler

El Duderino
Silver Supporting Member
Those really are neato.
I love the wooden pickups. Are they really wooden or just brown plastic?

Looks quite similar in features to my AZ, though this is HSH and mine's HSS.
They’re brown plastic- wood would be cool though!

Robotechnology

Gold Supporting Member
These have wonderful pickups! Congratulations. Neck feel is great! I have one of these and a much cheaper but, similar DK24 2 pt and where as the neck shape, feel and versatility was there, the GG sounded better. Not 3x better but, better so I traded it and kept the GG.

DrewH

OP. I have my eye on one of those. How is the pickup output? That is the great mystery of that guitar. Little to no info on those pickups.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
I've had one in Swamp Ash for a few years now, and it's a definite keeper. I'm going through a serious culling of the herd now, but that one is staying. However it does have a few issues (very few), and here goes:
  • The Tremol-No is a great gadget, and works well for the most part, but mine has an intermittent rattle I can't seem to eliminate. It's just slightly annoying, no big deal.
  • The trem bar makes a scratching noise in the pickup signal when moved. I'm sure its a grounding issue, but I'm not too sure how to go about eliminating it. None of the other trem guitars I've owned have done that. Again, no big deal.
Outstanding features:
  • The trem system (non fine tuner locking Floyd with standard nut and locking tuners) is the finest I have ever encountered. I can't imagine any improvement necessary, other than the noisy bar.
  • I love how the humbuckers are screwed down into the routs, no springs or height adjustment except for polepieces. Nothing to play with, already optimized. As Forrest said, one less thing.
  • Everything is optimized. It darn well better be for the price, and it is. The best bolt on neck guitar I have ever played.
  • The figuring in the ash body and roasted flame neck is mindblowing.

Nickel Tickler

El Duderino
Silver Supporting Member
OP. I have my eye on one of those. How is the pickup output? That is the great mystery of that guitar. Little to no info on those pickups.
Guthrie has said that they're somewhere between a PAF and a modern higher output passive pickup. The most noticeable characteristic I’ve noticed is the treble content in the upper mids is phenomenal. It translates to great articulation under gain but also wonderful cut when clean, which is what makes it such a versatile instrument. It has the same PiO caps that my custom shop strats have had and it dials ups nice stratty and even tele tones with the dip switch engaged. Now they are VERY honest and will broadcast slop, so you really have to get those chops up on any songs you may have fluff on but the tone and playability is well worth it- not to mention just leveling up your playing. I had to work on the placement of my palm mutes at the bridge to keep the bridge pup from sounding that out. That’s a technique defect no guitar has shown me in 20 years of playing…. The volume knob does really serve as an output knob- volume stays fairly level through much of the sweep so it kind feels like you can dial the pickups from paf ground up to classic 80s era Charvely tones. You cannot adjust the height of the pickups, so if you like to back them off thats not an option. Charvel and Guthrie evidently put them where they think they belong and dont want us messing with it. I cant say they were wrong. The Japanese ones do now have a bit of adjustability to the pickups I believe.

Reactions: MKB

Trending Topics

Top Bottom