NGD: Hagstrom Viking Deluxe

Bankston

I've taken an interest in Hagstrom guitars recently and I've been learning about the history, models, etc. I was planning to wait for the right vintage model, either a Viking or Swede, but this popped up and I got that feeling . . . that instant gratification gotta have it feeling.

2011 Viking Deluxe. It's my first semi-hollow body guitar in 37 years of playing.

I'm frankly shocked at how well-made this MIC guitar is. The hardware is more than decent. It has a Graphtech nut and stays in tune remarkably well. The action is super low and the neck is fast and comfortable. I don't have enough experience with more expensive semi-hollow guitars to compare tone but I'm digging what I hear. And I'm even starting to like the funky headstock and tuners.

Bottom line. This is a great value instrument with excellent build quality at this price point. I'm very happy with it.

mt7qcwa4x2hqje2yulyc.jpg

sswtihzo09hqu4higi4y.jpg

ftdfinp47cuzul1prjph.jpg

Last edited:

pepedede

I owned a 2012 Viking bass in black, I really liked that also, skinny neck. I decked the bridge to get the action as low as possible. For the money, used it was fun and good value for money. They look cool and play/ sound well.

Something a bit different to the usual is cool too.

TP Parter

Wild upper horn. Let's hope your lady doesn't get any crazy ideas.

I've taken an interest in Hagstrom guitars recently and I've been learning about the history, models, etc. I was planning to wait for the right vintage model, either a Viking or Swede, but this popped up and I got that feeling . . . that instant gratification gotta have it feeling.

2011 Viking Deluxe. It's my first semi-hollow body guitar in 37 years of playing.

I'm frankly shocked at how well-made this MIC guitar is. The hardware is more than decent. It has a Graphtech nut and stays in tune remarkably well. The action is super low and the neck is fast and comfortable. I don't have enough experience with more expensive semi-hollow guitars to compare tone but I'm digging what I hear. And I'm even starting to like the funky headstock and tuners.

Bottom line. This is a great value instrument with excellent build quality at this price point. I've very happy with it.

mt7qcwa4x2hqje2yulyc.jpg

sswtihzo09hqu4higi4y.jpg

ftdfinp47cuzul1prjph.jpg

Nice new Viking! I have only this old one from 1967 that I acquired in '69. ;)

Hagstrom-Viking-I-full-guitar.jpg

Hagstrom-Viking-I-body-w-Bigsby-close-up.jpg

Nice Vikings. I had one of the Tremars in goldflake. Awesome guitar for the money.

Bankston

Yes, but his was the 2nd gen Viking II. Mine is the original Viking I. Though both were made in Sweden. :)

hdnue6uwo8vf8rswhfay.jpg

Mikes-bday-jam-Jon-best-close-up.jpg

Right on. Hagstrom is doing a limited run of Swedes made in Sweden. Street is around $3,100.

I'd have to play one to fork over that kind of cash but the 25.5" scale length on an LP style guitar is intriguing. I'll probably end up getting a used import, but first, I want a Fantomen, which is based on the old Gibson RD Artist

Verne Andru

Congrats - Vikings are excellent guitars. Mine is one of the first of the modern re-issues and is very well made and a super-nice player. I was after a blond Deluxe but a great deal on a burst came along that I couldn't resist.

The stock pickups are okay, but I wanted a bit more variety so I installed a set of Seymour Duncan P-Rails. It's like having 3 guitars in one now as I can switch from humbucker to P-90 to single-coil (and a mix of those).

These work very well with controlled feedback.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom