NGD!!! Hohner SE-35 (335 copy)

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
So I just pulled the trigger on this guitar for $325 and I'm giddy. The neck is the single most comfortable neck that has ever rested in my hands. It's fat, but not super fat like a Gibson and just wide enough where it feels in between my old strat and my Taylor. It's the neck I've been searching for forever. NO, as in ZERO, fret wear. Low action with no buzzes. It has a nice flame to it too, which doesn't hurt its appeal.

The body is in excellent condition without a scratch on it. I don't think whoever previously owned this guitar ever played the darn thing! It seems to be a spec for spec copy of an es-335 which I've always been in love with. The construction seems solid with no gaps in the binding, no joints pulling apart. The finish is poly, but it's not super thick like an Epi Dot. The wood grain in mine is simple. Nothing astounding. Maple is as Maple does.

Sound...Ok, this is where I gambled a little. It sounds..umm..terrible. Acoustically it sounds fine but the pick ups are muuuuuudy. I'd read this before on HC and had already planned on gutting the pickups/electronics, getting rid of the plastic nut and possibly even changing out the bridge. I've always been a single coil guy so I'm debating on putting Tonerider Rebel 90 P-90s in and seeing what I come up with. I know that's deviating from the 335 sound, but I think it might be what I'm after.

I was torn between this guitar and a late 90's Korean Ibanez AS-80. While the AS-80 gets rave reviews, it didn't feel as good as this gal. It sounded better, but just didn't play as well. Pickups can be traded out, necks can't - so I went for the Hohner. What Hohner skimped on in hardware, they made up for in craftsmanship.

This is someone else's picture, but it's about 95% same as mine. Mine might have darkened a little more from age and I've taken off the pickguard.

I'll be sure to take before and after sound clips, whatever pickups I decide to go with.

D.G.

I'm also a single-coil guy and have difficulty with humbuckers, finding them too muddy, however, before replacing the pickups, you might try adjusting your amp -- specifically, turn down the bass. You might also try turning down the treble and turning up the mids.

bluesjunior

Here is a photo of mine I bought it used but in more or less unplayed condition in 1994 for £120. Over the years I have fitted Schaller tulip bulb tuners,a Tusq nut,a Gibson Nashville bridge with string saver saddles,two Kent Armstrong vintage '59 humbuckers, Gibson 3-way switch, CTS pots,knobs and jackplug. I rewired it again around three years ago and along with the CTS pots I put in Orange Drop caps and wired the tone pots in 50's style but kept the independent volumes. I also hand carved the scratchplate and pick/up surrounds from mahogany,in fact all that's left of the original guitar is the wooden body.Altogether I have spent around £500 including the buying price and it is a very versatile guitar. I just love to feel the air blowing out of the top F-hole when the volume is up, it feels like the guitar comes alive in your arms. Just shows what upgrading a decent copy can do. Like you I think it has a great neck. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Steve Z

Gold Supporting Member
I have a late '90s Hohner SE-35 (sunburst) that is a great guitar. I changed the tuners to Schaller locking tuners, replaced to p/us with Gibson '57s, and changed out the wiring harness to a Mojo Supplies pre-made harness. Sounds and plays great. The stock pots and switch as really cheap. The stock pickups (at least on mine) were Korean made "Sky Pickups designed by Kent Armstrong model: HPAN+1"... I am glad I made the changes. Even with used pickups the upgrades were still a bit over $300. I've owned the guitar so long (bought new) that I looked at it like buying a better guitar for only $300... crazy logic, I know. From time to time I think about selling it to help fund a new jazz archtop, but then I decide to keep it since it plays so nice... ahhh, decisions/GAS :D

wiring harness link
http://www.mojotone.com/Guitar-Part...tyle-Guitars/ES-335-3-Way-Prewired-Assembly_2

Last edited:

Steve Z

Gold Supporting Member
(I wrote this on another forum when I commented on my wiring harness experience...)

The Mojo wiring harness installation video was outstanding in detailing the procedure, and the instructions that came with the wiring harness were also valuable. I won't go into much detail as it was pretty straight forward as per the video. I did use dental floss to pull the pots, switch and jack through the holes. The new wiring harness and pickups really did make a noticeable difference in clarity and tone of the guitar for being such a low cost modification. It did help finding the Gibson 57 classic pickups used. I highly recommend the Mojo prewired wiring harness as it is top quality. I would have gone crazy trying to do 1/4 as good a job and the time saved is definitely worth something.

Here are a few items that I thought are important to help anyone else who is planning on upgrading their electronics...

1. Total time to swap electronics was about 3 hours. It could have gone faster, but I had to restring all the dental floss as I initially for got to put the lock washers on the pots before I tied on the dental floss and pulled it through all the hoes. Thankfully I did not yet stick the new wiring harness into the body of the guitar.

- Note (I read this somewhere, forget where) - To pull the dental floss through the body holes, use the ball end of an old guitar string. Thread the ball end of a guitar string through the hole and pull the ball back out of the f-hole. Wrap the end of the floss around the ball end of the string and pull the floss through. Simple and fast!

2. I soldered the pickups in place prior to putting the wiring harness in the body of the guitar as the leads were long enough. The bridge ground had to be soldered with half the wiring harness placed inside the body and just before I put the neck volume pot in the body as the bridge ground wire was not that long. Careful not to burn the guitar body with the solder gun.

3. The CTS pots are larger than the stock foreign pots that were installed in my guitar and would not fit through the end circle parts of the f-holes, which I thought were the largest part. They did, however, fit through the wide-center part of the f-holes with a little playing around. Be careful not to mess up the preformed shape of the wiring harness as it nicely hides the wires when installed.

4. It worked best to install the jack first, then slowly pull all the pots dental floss to get them in place. I secured the pots with the washers and nuts, then installed the switch last.

5. Install new strings and adjust the new picks to balance the volume. Enjoy!

Last edited:

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
I was planning on getting the mojo harness, but I had not seen the video. Thanks! I can't wait to get in there and tackle this job. Can't be more frustrating than working inside my old Blues Junior, or so I say right now....

I'm still on the fence about humbucker or P90 replacements...

Steve Z

Gold Supporting Member
... I'm still on the fence about humbucker or P90 replacements...
My preference is humbuckers as they seem to be a bit more universal for different styles of music. That stated, either would sound cool. Definitely recommend checking the emporium for used pickups to save some money!

If you are decide on P-90s, I just saw a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat Bucker-sized P90 set in the emporium. They drop right in humbucker routes and sound nice...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/658507

There are also a lot of humbuckers to choose from on the emporium...

Last edited:

jtees4

Great guitar with new pickups as are most Hohners that I've dealt with (I currently have three G2T's, all with USA EMG's installed).

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Well I skipped on the P90's and decided to go for a PAF set. I found a great deal on a set of Mojotone PAF clones with nickel covers. Let me say this...working inside a 335 is just as frustrating as they say. It was no fun. At all. Even less fun was that the leads on my pickups had been cut by the previous owner and left me no play. They are pulled taught and made things more difficult than they should be. I actually had to flip the neck PU around in order to reach. Not a huge deal to me. Kind of sets it apart a little (my way of coping). Unfortunately, I just got done with the install and haven't really been able to put the pickups through their paces. First opinions are that they are very clear, bright and extremely articulate with lots of depth. I'm anxious to hear them at a more reasonable volume tomorrow. Keep you guys posted.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
They're single connector metal shielded cable and I didn't have any spare lying around. I'll probably pick some up and add it on this weekend. I was just anxious to hear the new pickups. I'd also had enough fun working inside a semi-hollow for one day:thud

Trending Topics