NGD: Hondo II Les Paul Custom

csacwp

I just went to the Brimfield antique fair they have three times a year, supposedly the largest antique show in the country. I picked up a "black beauty" Hondo II Les Paul Custom. Normally I avoid Hondos but this one resonates well and sounds very good. I'm not sure what the pickups are. The previous owner had installed Schaller tuners as well, so that was a bonus. $180 spent on guitar and case.

mesa/kramer

I just went to the Brimfield antique fair they have three times a year, supposedly the largest antique show in the country. I picked up a "black beauty" Hondo II Les Paul Custom. Normally I avoid Hondos but this one resonates well and sounds very good. I'm not sure what the pickups are. The previous owner had installed Schaller tuners as well, so that was a bonus. $180 spent on guitar and case.

I dont see nuttin' :bkw

csacwp

It does have a bolt on neck, but it doesn't have single coils (not that the pickups in it are original).

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Probably - dead serious here - Dimarzio K10, which is a Super 2 with dual slugs in place of allen head screws. Hondo at one point made a big deal in promoting their use of USA DiMarzio pickups.

csacwp

That explains a lot. The pickups sound like Super Distortions but with more top end.

The guitar weighs at least 9lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over 10lbs... it resonates very loudly though and sounds clearly unplugged and plugged in, with good sustain despite the bolt on neck. Quite Les Paul like in tone, unlike what I've read about some Hondos. I feel like if I put in some Gibson pickups or some Duncan PAFs it would sound like a Les Paul. I'm a heavy metal guy myself and I love Super Distortions, so I don't plan on changing the pickups.

V-Type

The Hondo's,Magnums and Arias,etc specifically bolt ons were hit or miss.
I have a 76 Magnum LP custom bolt that looks great from a distance but plays like a complete dog.
The slop in the neck pocket ,garbage stock electronics and pot metal hardware combined with plywood construction has soured me on MIJ LP bolts.
I had an Ibanez bolt that was quite a bit better but I moved onto set neck LP's and Never ever looked back.
Btw the guy who said single coils under the covers is right. I had them in a Magnum as well as magnets glued too the inside of the covers and the wires attached with wrapping tape.
Oh those glorious old Mij's.
That being said cool guitar for the low $$$ and if you like it that is really what matters.

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
Those ARE the HondoII Dimarzios. They appear to be the original ones for that guitar. That was my first guitar as a kid. Still have (most of) it in my basement!

Trending Topics